Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

New 2015 xB Owner and New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New 2015 xB Owner and New to Forum

Just saying high. After comparing Scion xB forums, this one seems the most extensive, thought I sign up here first.

I won't be doing much modding, I only leased it for my business use. I am interested in MPG since it does seem to be a little pigish for a 4 banger. First tank was mostly city driving, cluster said 20.5 but pen and paper (ok excel on my phone) said 22.87 for the first tank.
Drastic loss of mileage since I came from a TDI. But the price difference and the fewer miles I drive these days, it would take 8 years for the TDI to make up the cost difference, same with a hybrid. I do like the extra room though and I have had good luck with Toyotas in the past.

I don't like the throttle, seems like a few mpg could be gained by making it less aggressive. No way to do that? In the VW world, I could login with VagCom and change the fueling or the peddle responsiveness. In looking through the forums, I guess there is no tools like VagCom for Toyotas.
It was fun tweaking fueling and playing with boost on the TDI.

First projects are getting switched and none switched power to the back for some communication hardware and install a front and rear dash cam.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-12-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I calculate my mileage the old fashioned way by dividing miles driven by gallons added at fueling. In my experience the computer is between 1 and 2 mpg too generous in calculating MPG.
I have been using the instant mpg computer to train myself to drive the 4 speed automatic more efficiently. Unsurprisingly, it's best to get the car up to 3rd or 4th gear as quickly as possible without punching it. Quick steady acceleration.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree regarding the awful gas mileage for a 4cyl... I think it's the result of the 4speed automatic, the weight of the car and idk what else... I am getting between 20.1 and 22.8 or so mpg, if i recall correctly. my driving is 70% stop and go and 30% highway, not many hills

now that the car is "broken in," (~11k miles), i plan to reset the mpg and take a road trip to see if its gotten any better. i reset the counter maybe a year back and it's been between the above (20.1 and 22.8 mpg) from then until now....

the way i rationalize it, the car makes up for many shortcomings of many other cars in the same category so i feel like it offsets the low mpg's to some extent which keeps me happy
Old 07-06-2015, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Winter weather can affect your MPG by about 10 percent. Now that summer is here, my average according to the computer is 24.1 and it keeps climbing ever so slowly.
I only have 2900 miles on the odometer, so that could be a factor as well. I'm very happy with the vehicle overall.

I'd like to take it on a pure highway trip to see what kind of mileage it gets. My corolla got 44.5 MPG on a trip and it was rated at 32/40.

I passed a gas station the other day that sells ethanol free regular 87 octane gas. Was thinking of trying a tank of that to see if that affects the mileage.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a 200 mile high trip coming for work. I'll see what it does on the highway.

I don't think the MPG is the fault of the automatic since the manual does not do much better. If I can just get used to the peddle and be able to roll it on smoothly, I think I can gain a mile or two mpg. Toyota made the throttle so it appeals to the younger crowd, its hard not to do a jackrabbit start. I do really like the car.

As others have mentioned, using the cruise control even around town seems to help. I am also trying to coast more when I am coming to lights and stop signs. I try really hard not cross the line between frugal and old man driving. So far no fingers or flashing lights.

I wonder if a mild restrictor plate in the intake would trip a code in the computer. Less air, less fueling. The Box seems that it could afford to loose a couple of hp. I'll wait till its broken in first before I start play with stuff.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, the first couple of days after I got it, i was burning rubber when i pressed the accelerator. Will be interested to hear what your mileage is on the trip.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 AM

I also am someone that went from a TDI to a xB2 and I noticed right away that the millage wasn't great but I attribute it partly to the fact that it has the aerodynamics of a RV lol

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-17-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ravendarat
I also am someone that went from a TDI to a xB2 and I noticed right away that the millage wasn't great but I attribute it partly to the fact that it has the aerodynamics of a RV lol
I don't drive enough miles to a justify Hybrid or TDI, I would never make up the cost difference. I guess I could have gone with a Prius C but that just felt like Yaris. Most of my driving is short distance, the TDI would never get warmed up and in town it would only be get mid to high 30s.

I got sick of seeing hubcaps on my new Scion. Not to mention there's a bunch of xBs that look mine with hubcaps in town. I have always hated hubcaps. This weekend I picked up some cheap Camry 5 spoke alloys. I went with them because the are simple, easy to clean, OEM, CHEAP
and almost 3 lbs lighter than the steelies. I just have to pick up some Scion 2.25 inch center caps.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-17-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems the xB2 is simply too heavy to get decent gas mileage. I get about 30 in my much lighter xB1 so it would very frustrating to go down to the low 20's, that's at least 25%.

Right now the Honda HR-V is looking might attractive, it's got almost the same room as the xB2 and it gets way better gas mileage. It'd be interesting to test both these cars side by side.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlingSlade
It seems the xB2 is simply too heavy to get decent gas mileage. I get about 30 in my much lighter xB1 so it would very frustrating to go down to the low 20's, that's at least 25%.

Right now the Honda HR-V is looking might attractive, it's got almost the same room as the xB2 and it gets way better gas mileage. It'd be interesting to test both these cars side by side.
The HR-V is 141 hp and 127 lbsft torque, 1.8L. That's where the economy is coming from. The xB is 158hp and 162 lbsft, 2.4L. I could not find the weights. Unless the HR-V is significantly lighter, the xB's higher torque would make it nicer to drive.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-17-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just installed my cargo cover and cargo net today. Could not install my bumper protector because it was raining.

Also got a J2534 OBD2 cable fresh from China. I installed Techstream on my laptop. Turned off the DRLs, Seatbelt Chime, First click unlocks all the doors and turned off the warning chime for keys in the ignition while driver's door open. I'm sure I will regret the last one if I lock my keys in the car but I have not done that since the 80s and was a new driver.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by gedster314
Just installed my cargo cover and cargo net today. Could not install my bumper protector because it was raining.

Also got a J2534 OBD2 cable fresh from China. I installed Techstream on my laptop. Turned off the DRLs, Seatbelt Chime, First click unlocks all the doors and turned off the warning chime for keys in the ignition while driver's door open. I'm sure I will regret the last one if I lock my keys in the car but I have not done that since the 80s and was a new driver.
I have had TDIs as well and still have one (2 car family)... feeling the milage difference and still on my first tank of gas with my "new" 2009 XB.

Curious how difficult the cargo cover instal was? I have heard they are a pain in the butt.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gedster314

very cool that you were able to customize the behavior of the car like that!
Old 11-17-2018, 01:42 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlingSlade
I looked at the HRV and drove one minutes before before pulling the trigger on my brand new 2015 xB. I had just sold my Honda Element and wanted to buy another Honda bad....Honda HRV was great from the front seats forward, engine, better mpg, options, looks and about 2k dollars more than the xB..but I have two very small boys and was freaked out by how close their heads would have been to that rear hatch in the HRV, the xB has a slightly deeper cargo area adding more rear impact protection..rear impact photos I have seen the xB holds up pretty well. That was the ONLY reason I didn't buy that HRV. 30 plus mpg was really hard to walk away from but I did in lieu of safety for my boys ...over the last 3 years I have averaged about 23-24 mpg in my auto xB and 30k miles a year 70 percent highway, 30 percent city . Not a single repair in 91k miles and just replaced my original front brake pads last week at 91k miles..so its been a great car so far, knock wood.

Last edited by sootie007; 11-20-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

all city driving is what I do and 20 mpg is COMPLETELY normal...I never get better than 20 mpg.....this is LARGE thirsty 4cylinder motor in a box...you want mpg, go back to your TDI....