Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   A-pillar creak? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/pillar-creak-108012/)

BigBHaller 07-13-2007 01:21 AM

A-pillar creak?

MCGong and a few others have a B-Pillar creak that warranted examination by Toyota engineers.

I have a creaking in the driver's side A-Pillar area except a little lower -- behind the dash where it meets the corner and pillar. It creaks when accelerating, basically whenever the body flexes. Does anyone else have this problem?

07-13-2007 03:40 AM

had the problem had guys from japan come down and fixed the problem

RMS 07-13-2007 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by marcemarc_xB'08
had the problem had guys from japan come down and fixed the problem

How did they fix it?

07-13-2007 04:52 PM

they had to re-weld the part that was creaking..it was the machine weld that came apart...

BigBHaller 07-15-2007 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by marcemarc_xB'08
they had to re-weld the part that was creaking..it was the machine weld that came apart...

Ouch, ok, I guess I definitely better bring it in. Thanks.

n2htwlz 07-15-2007 03:57 PM

Whoa.. I will be listening close for this. I havent heard anyone here in Az yet with this noise.

mcgong 07-17-2007 09:11 PM

Had this creak in B piller on passenger side. Brought it in and engineers from Toyota came out and fixed it. Now I have this A pillar issue and I bought it back in and engineers are coming out again to fix it.

RMS 07-17-2007 09:13 PM

FIRE THE WELDING ROBOT! Keep us posted

delro 07-17-2007 10:44 PM

creak

just got the XB, when did the a and b pillar creaks start? right of the lot or after a few months or hundred miles?

TechKnowlEdgy 07-18-2007 12:24 AM

Damn, I have that in mine too. I need my car though, hmm, maybe they will give me one to drive at the dealership, only seems fair.

EDIT: I didn't really notice it as bad until about 1000 miles, but it was there a little bit shortly after buying it.

delro 07-18-2007 12:44 AM

creak

drove it around today with the ac and radio off. I did hear a creak in the A pillar when i accelerate and brake, its not loud though. Is it really that bad?

SimpleNature 07-18-2007 03:41 AM

You would think Toyota will have a database of affected vehicles pretty soon. Does Toyota issue notices by VIN numbers or only by models?

I'm in a second xB2 and can swear it is a lot quieter overall than the first one I was driving. Did anyone get the feeling that this was a pure surprise to Toyota when they came out to check out the problem?

delro 07-18-2007 04:27 AM

Simple nature, did toyota replace your XB? How bad was the creak? im planning to install a yakima rack and if the welds are not good, then it may not be safe.

Schmohey 07-18-2007 06:21 PM

I have some creak coming from the front of the car, can't tell if its the dashboard or the a pillar. Think this might be it?

delro 07-18-2007 07:29 PM

its official... the A pillar creak in my Xb is indeed a welding flaw similar to mcgong and bigbhaller.. Brought the Xb to power toyota at irvine today. The service technician told me the same thing they told mcgong, that engineers are dropping by to check it out. They also assured me that its nothing dangerous, it just makes an annoying sound.

Schmohey 07-18-2007 08:23 PM

Can I take it to any dealership or it has to be the one I bought my car from?

BigBHaller 07-19-2007 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Schmohey
Can I take it to any dealership or it has to be the one I bought my car from?

You may bring it to any Toyota/Scion dealer.

MCGong said it wasn't a weld for his A-pillar creak, it was a bracket or something. He'll probably post what happened. I haven't brought mine in yet, but will soon.

SimpleNature 07-19-2007 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by delro
Simple nature, did toyota replace your XB? How bad was the creak? im planning to install a yakima rack and if the welds are not good, then it may not be safe.

They replaced my xB for other reasons. I'm pretty sure it had the creak developing. It was more like a rattle at 500 miles. But this new one just feels more 'solid' so it is either not 'loose' yet or the fault was cought for this one. I'm not going to throw it into corners and bouncing off of curbs to find out though. I just rolled over 100 miles.

SimpleNature 07-19-2007 04:15 PM

OKay... verified. This new one also has the creak in the right corner at the dash. Almost sounds like a speaker short.
Will this develop into a recall notice for correction at the dealers? I really don't want to walk in cold to the dealer if they know nothing about it.

delro 07-20-2007 04:15 PM

picking up the XB today after being in the shops for 2days. The technician told me that it was not a welding flaw, but the positioning of one of the panels under the fender. So, that sounds a lot better than a welding problem.