Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Possible hydro-lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Possible hydro-lock

So worked on car all day. lowered and all. drove to lowes in a rain storm. sucked *****. (need 14mm bolt or passenger wiper wont work. Turn car off find lowes has nothing. hope in car ty to start it. got nothing. just a flickering of all the lights. so im thinking battery is dead. (STILL HURRICANE WEATHER) jumpt it. starts immediteatly. get home turn off the car. and it shuts off violently. just BAM off. even stereo shut off. im like must have rain my battery to long when i was working on it. so i try to jump it. no luck. car turns ofver then shutters to a stop. confusing as hel. i test battery and its charged. the only thing i can think of is that water got in my tenzo. since i was driving through the rain. my car is freshly lowered (like 2 hours) and i know there is a hole in my splash gaurd. i just ook of my intake and its a little damp. idk what do. how do you test for hydro lock? the car just wont start at all.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sucks bro my fender liners have been busted also. that dam cai filter has to sit right there so I ducked taped the hole closed for now untill I get a new liner. Hope you get thins sorted out man....
Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it is hydrolocked, i dont think there is anything you can do about it now gl!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
So worked on car all day. lowered and all. drove to lowes in a rain storm. sucked *****. (need 14mm bolt or passenger wiper wont work. Turn car off find lowes has nothing. hope in car ty to start it. got nothing. just a flickering of all the lights. so im thinking battery is dead. (STILL HURRICANE WEATHER) jumpt it. starts immediteatly. get home turn off the car. and it shuts off violently. just BAM off. even stereo shut off. im like must have rain my battery to long when i was working on it. so i try to jump it. no luck. car turns ofver then shutters to a stop. confusing as hel. i test battery and its charged. the only thing i can think of is that water got in my tenzo. since i was driving through the rain. my car is freshly lowered (like 2 hours) and i know there is a hole in my splash gaurd. i just ook of my intake and its a little damp. idk what do. how do you test for hydro lock? the car just wont start at all.
If you were just driving through rain, not deep puddles, it's unlikely it's a hydrolock problem. Is the engine CEL light on? Were there any unusual noises while the engine was running?

PS. Rereading your description, my immediate best guess is a battery connection isn't tight, or the alternator has given out. Here's hoping for a more upbeat update from you!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well now I installed it all. Engine turns over fine. But wont kick on. something isnt firing right.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gonna make a video now
Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wtfff

Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had this happen to my 2004 colorado sport. small lowered truck and flooded streets dont mix. air filter was soaked but was able to get it home and dry everything out. worked fine after everything was dry. had same issues, took forever to start back up but eventually did. glad to see its fine now.

any rough idle issues or starting issues again?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you got lucky lol....but like mentioned if you did not go thru puddles and enough water for it to actually suck it in the I doubt its a hydrolock concern...but its a concern none the less and you should take it in....it can be the dreaded coils that has been hitting people on the forums here...just a thought and glad to see it started back up...but it can lead to something bigger if not checked out bud!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FroZone, just a bit of advice... don't leave the car running while hanging out in the garage with the garage doors closed.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ i cracked the garage doors!!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
FroZone, just a bit of advice... don't leave the car running while hanging out in the garage with the garage doors closed.
HAHAHAH! ^^

And wow bro nice lmao!!! Glad all that work we did is actually going to pay off was guna say no wayyyyy u hydrolocked that thing. Now get it here so we can claybar and get it rdy for the show so we can roll in scion deep!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your map light must be a kill-switch!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think your first crank in the video was probably just too short. Engine sounds fine to me and it continues to sound fine as it drops towards idle, so I think some moisture got into the wiring somewhere. I'd be inclined to check all accessible ignition associated engine bay connections just to make sure they're tight. Moisture has always been a bugaboo for automobiles and a heavy rain is a great opportunity for something to crop up.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all works fine!! I have lots of vids and pics for you guys of the past 48 hours
Old 05-29-2011, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you think you hydrolocked your engine, first thing you should do is pull the spark plugs out.