Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Programming autolock for manual tranz?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Programming autolock for manual tranz?

So? Is it possible? The info in the owner's manual is for automatics only. I cannot believe that the doors cannot be set to autolock at some point. For the automatics you can set it a couple of different ways.. taking it out of park, or at 15MPH. And if it can be set for MPH, I see no reason the manual can't be set for same.

I did try it 2 ways, going off the info for the automatic, neither of which worked, but here's what I did:
Ignition to "ON" (not atart) press and hold the lock button for 5 seconds.
Ignition to "ON" with clutch depressed, press and hold.

also tried a variation of those, by depressing the brake pedal and clutch together with and without the parking brake engaged.

Does this need to be done at the dealer, perhaps?

Thanks.

BTW, I did search for this here, on another Scion forum, as well as google, and found only info for the automitic.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow.. 25 views in 3 1/4 hours, and nobody has any idea?

just a bump
Old 11-24-2007, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i wanna set mine on my manual also..
Old 11-24-2007, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you bought a manual car, therefore, everything is manual.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
OK weisenheimer.. then why's it got an auto-down window and remote keyles entry, among a few other non-manaul tasks?!?!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by boblamb58
Originally Posted by draxcaliber
OK weisenheimer.. then why's it got an auto-down window and remote keyles entry, among a few other non-manaul tasks?!?!
He just called you "weisenheimer" LOL!!

In a serious note, how would the car know you're in gear? When you sit down? Is there a some gyroscopic force that's present, so when you move it'll activate the vehicle's locks? Do the locks activate when you release the e-brake?

IIRC, the automatic transmission is electronic. Therefore it shifts electronically. Manual transmission, not so much.

I'm not trying to be a "weisenheimer" ( ) I just really doubt there's any way to do such a mentioned task.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

meh, just hit the power lock as you go...i'm trying to think, i don't know of any manual transmission cars that have an auto lock. that is just based on my tc, bro's isuzu, and dad's corvette.

i suppose it is kind of a preventive measure to prevent you from locking yourself out of your car.

i mean, my old explorer would lock when i hit like 15 mph, the corollas my dealer lends me when i have my car serviced lock when i shift into d, and unlock when i shift into p.

with a manual transmission car, when would the car lock? at 15 mph? or when you release the parking brake?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:19 AM
SL Member

My ride is the xB2 with 5-speed manny tranny. I'm too lazy (and it's too cold outside) this Saturday morning retrieve my Owner's Manual. HOWEVER, my interpretation of the applicable pages did allow me to program the door locks to automatically activate. This happens at 15mph. Speed must be sensed at whatever device sends speed info to the digital speedo. An extra programming step will tell all doors to unlock when Driver opens their door.

In summation, read the Manual again and give it another go.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SlowRider
My ride is the xB2 with 5-speed manny tranny. I'm too lazy (and it's too cold outside) this Saturday morning retrieve my Owner's Manual. HOWEVER, my interpretation of the applicable pages did allow me to program the door locks to automatically activate. This happens at 15mph. Speed must be sensed at whatever device sends speed info to the digital speedo. An extra programming step will tell all doors to unlock when Driver opens their door.

In summation, read the Manual again and give it another go.
I did actually and couldn't find the info, which is why I originally asked the question, but I will try again..

I response to xseveredveganx and draxcaliber.. the car not knowing what gear.. what does that have to do with how fast it's going? My 5-speed MANUAL VW Beetle locks the doors at about 10MPH, no matter what gear it's in, even if the car is COASTING down a hill out of gear. So it *CAN* be done.

This'll be a moot point by Monday when I call the dealer

Thanks,

A fellow weisenheimer
Old 11-24-2007, 01:22 PM
SL Member

Automatic door locking instructions start on page 16 of the Owner's Manual. On page 17, follow the instructions under the "to select the locking linked with the vehicle speed" heading. Because your's is the manual tranny, ignore step 2.
Man, it sure is cold outside!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good to know
Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SlowRider
Automatic door locking instructions start on page 16 of the Owner's Manual. On page 17, follow the instructions under the "to select the locking linked with the vehicle speed" heading. Because your's is the manual tranny, ignore step 2.
Man, it sure is cold outside!
It was cold outside here this morning too.

I tried that.. I must be mising something. It'll just have to wait until Monday when I can bug the dealer. Seeing as how I just bought the car Tuesday, I am pretty confident they'd do it as a courtesy for me (assuming it's possible, that is)
Old 11-24-2007, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OH YEAH, BABY!!!

Finally figured it out.. or just got lucky...

After getting a 2-pack of lawn and leaf bags, unlocked the xB (pushed the button twice) as I was walking towards it, opened the pass. door to lay my package on teh pass. seat, then got in the driver side, sat down, pushed in the clutch and started it. After a second, I decided 'what the heck',I pushed on the lock switch, held it in and what do ya know.. after I let go of it, the doors all unlocked themsleves. Now i'm thinking, what the heck did I just do? Drove away, speed got up to 15MPH, AND THE DOORS LOCKED!!!!

Wahooo!!!! (OK, I am easily amused )
Old 11-24-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Rad! I'm glad you got it figured out. The speed thing was all I really thought could make them lock. I thought you wanted something that would lock as soon as you put it in gear. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

And to tell you the truth, I asked myself the same question after riding in my friend's that had the auto...
Old 11-24-2007, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Rad! I'm glad you got it figured out. The speed thing was all I really thought could make them lock. I thought you wanted something that would lock as soon as you put it in gear. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

And to tell you the truth, I asked myself the same question after riding in my friend's that had the auto...
Thanks! I realised after reading it a few times in the owner's manual that speed was the only option for the manul trans. As was already mentioned, how would the car know what gear it's in? There's no indication on the dash like in the automatic (I did test drive both).

Sorry about not making that clear
Old 11-24-2007, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

So just for clarification's sake, did you press and hold the car's lock button or the lock button on the key?

Just so everyone knows! ;)
Old 11-25-2007, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
So just for clarification's sake, did you press and hold the car's lock button or the lock button on the key?

Just so everyone knows! ;)
The lock/unlock button on the door . I hope this works for everybody that wants to try it.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, If you've read this far, and tried the reprogramming and it worked, please let me know, either PM or a quick reply here. If you did it a different way, that'd be good to know as well.

Remember, this is about reprogamming the door locks to lock when the vehicle speed reahes 15-MPH, with MANUAL trans only!

Thank you.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 AM
SL Member

Damn, I had NOOOOOO idea that we could do this with the manual tranny!!!!!! Thanks for the post, I'm gonna try in the morning when I leave for work!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can't get it to work i think i am a total noob. someone else let me know if it worked for them

Quick Reply: Programming autolock for manual tranz?