Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Couple of general questions for a potential Scion owner

Old 04-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Couple of general questions for a potential Scion owner

OK,

So I am curious of a few things. I didn't see these anywhere and figured most answers will be based on First Gen info and thats ok with me.

How has the value held up with first gen? What were the payments? Does Scion offer a true low interest financing? and for how many years 5,7?

Bolt pattern is it known yet?

How do the Xb's do in the snow?

Can someone give me the insurance costs for their xb compared to a previous vehicle they owned? Anyone by chance have a vin on a Xb2?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The resale on the Bclassic has been phenomenal. There is no other $15k car on the market that will get 10 - 12k trade in 3 years later, none. (psst: the value on the classics will hold and continue to rise as it becomes harder and harder to find low mile classics)

Payments vary wildely depending on: APR (which is dependent on your credit history) and amount financed. There are numerous calculators out there (check: www.fool.com) for a bunch of them to play with time financed, amount financed, and apr. In general, you can use a rule of thumb of 20 bucks/month per 1000 financed to ball park things.

I'm not sure what you mean by "true low interest financing". However, I can maybe give you some info that will either answer what it is you're trying to ask, or allow you to ask a better question. When you see "1.9% on 60 mos!!!" or other things like that, those are incentive rates. Instead of advertising a cash rebate, manufacturers use the rebate money to buy the rate down to offer that. Scion does not use rebates or incentive rates to sell cars, and that's a huge portion of the reason that the resale holds so well. All lenders buy their money from the FED for a price. All of them. The FED charges money for this, and that is known as the Prime and that is adjusted quarterly.

You may have heard in the news about whether the FED will raise or lower rates, and this has a trickle down effect. They do this to control the supply of money in the marketplace.

You can finance a Scion for as long as you want, but most lenders won't go past 6 years (72 months for the math challenged). 84 mon financing is ususally reserved for minimum of $30k financed, and you have to have superb credit to do that. Also, not all banks will go 72 mos on the Scions, but Toyota will.

As for how it handles in the snow, I don't have any experience, but I've heard it described as a handling like a jack rabbit wearing snow shoes. Traction control and Electronic Stability Control combine to give you great control in most situations, and you only need to check out the XB board for plenty of posts about that.

Insurance should be good, but check with your company as the rates people will tell you here will vary widely depending on company, driving record, location, and credit worthiness.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:42 PM

Great answers thanks.

I could have probably thought out the questions better but figured I would lose some responses with long winded questions.

The incentives portion was what I was curious about..

I typically will NOT even think about buying new. I put so many miles on my cars its not funny. However it appears the resale has held well with the first gen (will that hold true again, I don't know). Therefore I am more inclined to at least think about it now.

I posted my question then called my local dealer. He claimed they were getting their allotment numbers within the hour and should have a demo model by next weeks end. We will see I guess.

The snow thing sounds great as I am sure the wife will use the car a good deal of time, and I want to make sure she is driving something sure footed in the Michigan weather.

Thanks for the well rounded answer and I cant wait to start looking at this car. The rims in my mind are a must as I cant stand any of the choices Scion came up with.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Xb was recently totalled. A 2005 Burgundy in excellent shape was valued at 14,000. Damage came in at 11,000 though. miles were 31,000