Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Scion axes xB, xD

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my 2010 xB and I love my 09 xD, I wouldnt trade either car in for anything. I wish the customization market for the xD was bigger, but I understand why it isnt.

I can't wait to see what they do for the final release series for both these cars, if they do an RS 10/5 for them that is.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DaReal
Maybe about the parts, cause they might go up in price being that the models will be discontinued. So the parts will not be mass produced as often and it'll be a little harder to get them. But that's a couple of years from happening about the parts.
Parts are manufactured for at least FIVE to SEVEN years after a car is out of production unless a part is infact discontinued for a specific reason (ie: high failure rate, ect) .... Where are you getting your idea that parts will go up in cost?????? You do realize that these parts are mass produced, and companies do save the plans for creating additional parts if need be.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to mention that there are quite a few parts that are used across various models and won't stop being produced just because the xB is.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've gotta say I am not sad to see the xB2 get killed off whatsoever.

When my 1st Gen was killed in an accident (RIP) I snagged a 2nd Gen to replace it.
The joy in ownership was just not there for me. It was such a ho-hum driving experience.
After almost 2.5 years with it, I traded it in for an FJ Cruiser

I must say, I hope they go small again if they ever decide to build another.
The 1st Gen still brings a smile to my face when I see them on the road!
Absolutely LOVED my 1st Gen.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's surprising to me that basically Scion will currently only have a small iQ and coupes in its lineup.

They need a five-door hatchback in the works. Or at least a four-door sedan.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Called the dealer and talked with Scion/Toyota canada . They said just the XD was cancelled . Anyone got any info from the company not just reports from websites. The XB here would be rare here now if it's true . Yes I'll keep mine .
Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep and my streak of buying cars that get discontinued shortly after continues

The article says the XB sales have been on the decline since 2006 when Scion sold 27,655 XB's and that in 2011 only over 17000 XB's were sold. But fails to mention that a devastating earthquake in Japan stopped production of the XB, XD and Yaris so only cars made before 3/11/11 were sold. After March 11th, no more 2011's were made

So are we seeing the end of the Scion brand? Nothing remaining in the Scion lineup looks like a recipe for big sales.

That new sports car looks great and will be release in big fan fare and high interest. Then reality will settle in as insurance on the car will be sky high. Already the TC has some of the highest insurance rates.

The IQ is a city car and probably will sell just as well as the Smart sells, which is not much.

What happened to the sensible and practical car? Scion was designed to snag customers in their late teens or early 20's. In other words people starting college or shortly leaving college. You can't put furniture in the TC or the FR-S. With the iQ, you are lucky to fit yourself in it let alone anything else. So that means John or Jane college student will have to borrow their folks car to ship the rest of the stuff over, it is probably easier to simply take that car to school.

Those looking for practicality will buy a Fit or Yaris or something from Hyundai, mazda, Ford etc (in other words will go somewhere else)

They might as well simply rebadge the remaining cars as Toyota's and close the Scion brand down
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got a e-mail back from Toyota/Scion ..................................... Thank you for your recent email.

Please be advised that the Scion xB and xD have not been discontinued. The 2013 Scion xB has a tentative launch date of early 2013 and the 2013 xD has a tentative launch date of Fall 2012.

You may wish to request that the Sales department at the Scion dealership of your choice contact you with any information concerning these models the moment it becomes available. We also suggest visiting our website www.scion.ca from time to time; the website is updated as the information becomes available.

Thank you again for taking the time to write. Your continued interest in Scion is truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alice McNamee
Customer Interaction Centre
Scion Canada
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that email to you could be true about the XB in 2013. I assumed that the Scion XB would be killed off at the end of the 2012 model year but nowhere in the article and nowhere on any article does it say it is gone after this year, only that they are going to be gone after this generation. I assumed end of 2012 because Toyota replaces its cars with a refreshed model every 4-5 years but it may hang on till 2013
Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by journeyforce
that email to you could be true about the XB in 2013. I assumed that the Scion XB would be killed off at the end of the 2012 model year but nowhere in the article and nowhere on any article does it say it is gone after this year, only that they are going to be gone after this generation. I assumed end of 2012 because Toyota replaces its cars with a refreshed model every 4-5 years but it may hang on till 2013
Judging from the past, the Scion new model year starts roughly mid year, so if the 2013 won't be until 2013, that's a change. Sounds like they're being cautious and there may not be a 2014.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vancouverray
Just got a e-mail back from Toyota/Scion ..................................... Thank you for your recent email.

Please be advised that the Scion xB and xD have not been discontinued. The 2013 Scion xB has a tentative launch date of early 2013 and the 2013 xD has a tentative launch date of Fall 2012.

You may wish to request that the Sales department at the Scion dealership of your choice contact you with any information concerning these models the moment it becomes available. We also suggest visiting our website www.scion.ca from time to time; the website is updated as the information becomes available.

Thank you again for taking the time to write. Your continued interest in Scion is truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alice McNamee
Customer Interaction Centre
Scion Canada
THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY
Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is interesting if they do or don't discontinue the XB at least, with all the hype around the Cube and the Kia Soul, competing, then that would increase their sales and hurt Toyota. This will be something to watch, for those who still love the XB.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LophatXB
It is interesting if they do or don't discontinue the XB at least, with all the hype around the Cube and the Kia Soul, competing, then that would increase their sales and hurt Toyota. This will be something to watch, for those who still love the XB.
Well, for me, my 2008 is pretty much perfect (thanks heavily to my mods )! But that doesn't predict much regarding future releases ! Scion is doing their best to design their own future, and whether or not it includes our own choices is uncertain. Still, as I said earlier, my 2008 is for the long haul. Regardless what Toyota/Scion decides, I'm not going to be dumping my xB2, it provides the capabilities I value, and so I guess time will tell!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member

have to Keep in mind that the earthquake did do damage to the facilities. Maybe they are to go back to the drawing board while the plants are repaired. Also have to keep in mind that the people that worked on these cars in Japan are missing or have passed away and it may be a while before things are back to status quo.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If real, discontinuing xB = DMFs!
But marketing is often based on perceived flavour-de-jour.
Case in point, while proudly a self-achieved UMC member, I recently switched from an F150SC pick-up to an xB for realistic daily practicality and afforded personalization. Being an long-time ex-patriate Canadian, I've even understood a later/reluctant transition from the US-proud V8 platform. But I can't help wondering if Toyota has missed the increasing I4 xB copies...
Old 05-04-2012, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member

Hm. I think I'll wait it out before I lose it, but I'm sad to think of them discontinuing the xB - at least, not without a replacement in mind. My first car was a RL 1.0; got it as a graduation present in '10 and it ran perfectly. Until a jerk totaled it. (how he didn't see the bright orange box in front of him, I'll never know...but I'll stop the whining now.) Currently leasing-to-purchase a '12 xB - it handles great, has more room than my ol' orange toaster, feels a bit sturdier, but still not a perfect replacement for the original.

I went with the xB specifically for the great mileage (baby it right and the 2nd gen gets a solid 32mpg), ridiculous-huge leg room in the back, and the ability to haul big things in a small car (any musicians here? You can fit an upright string-bass in a solid case in the 1st gen xB and still carry a passenger on the driver side). I'm in it for the long haul with the current car, but the Soul (et al) just doesn't compare. Meh, c'est la vie.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default There's still hope guys.

I was looking at autoblog and scion VP said this.

''Models like the FR-S and iQ serve more traditional buyers than the nameplate's best-selling xB, though Jack Hollis, Scion vice president, says the future of the boxy five-door remains uncertain.''

News Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/01/s...ers-get-older/

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...304309955/1291
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member

sounds like stupid corporate decisions.. very similar to the US goverment,, just give it all away to someone else... (Kia soul) next thing you know China will be coming to the US with their cars to sell.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionxbpr
I was looking at autoblog and scion VP said this.

''Models like the FR-S and iQ serve more traditional buyers than the nameplate's best-selling xB, though Jack Hollis, Scion vice president, says the future of the boxy five-door remains uncertain.''

News Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/01/s...ers-get-older/

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...304309955/1291
Don't know how the xB1 sales numbers compared to the tC1, but I surely hope the tC2 is not doing worse than its predecessor. The switch from xB1 to xB2 was clearly an experiment in US focus group input and I hope the current model is not much, if any, behind the last version xB1.

Some bad luck hit Toyota last year (garbage accelerator publicity hogwash -- go media and congress -- followed by earthquake/tsunami supply disruption) so I'd expect the 2012 numbers to be more telling. Current overall sales indicate Toyota is storming back with a vengeance.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Don't know how the xB1 sales numbers compared to the tC1, but I surely hope the tC2 is not doing worse than its predecessor. The switch from xB1 to xB2 was clearly an experiment in US focus group input and I hope the current model is not much, if any, behind the last version xB1.

Some bad luck hit Toyota last year (garbage accelerator publicity hogwash -- go media and congress -- followed by earthquake/tsunami supply disruption) so I'd expect the 2012 numbers to be more telling. Current overall sales indicate Toyota is storming back with a vengeance.
Glad im not the only one who thought that accelerator issue was garbage and the way congress went after Toyota was excessive, especially after all the screw ups with the American manufacturers. I think it was a ploy to knock Toyota out of the number one spot.

Quick Reply: Scion axes xB, xD