Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-ice-interior-1794/)
-   -   Scion xB 2011 Door/Alarm issues.. (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-ice-interior-1794/scion-xb-2011-door-alarm-issues-231329/)

wejarrell 07-27-2015 12:16 PM

Scion xB 2011 Door/Alarm issues..

I have no idea what is wrong with this thing. The front 2 door locks do not work with the remote or the internal buttons, the back left works when the car is put into drive or reverse, but not the remote and not on the internal buttons, and the back right works sometimes for all but sometimes not, meaning I have to check every door before I hit the lock button to set the alarm. Also as of late the alarm will go off when I put it from park to drive if I lock any of the locks manually, and It will not stop unless I turn off the whole car, remove the key, lock and unlock it a few times and then I can start it. This is my first and most likely last Scion due to the constant issues but I figured before I jut get rid of it I will seek advice from the forum.

_____

HATEnFATE 07-29-2015 06:21 PM

aftermarket alarm system??

Sounds like a junk alarm system but not knowing what you have, i can't really comment on it..

Don't blame the car, blame the system..

Greg S 07-29-2015 06:58 PM

I'm with HATEnFATE, it sounds like the alarm was installed improperly/poorly or someone has messed with the electrical at some time.

wejarrell 07-29-2015 08:29 PM

Thanks

Thanks guys. Everything on the car is stock, the alarm was put on by Scion.

Guess I am heading to the Scion dealership to give them one last try to fix it.

____

HATEnFATE 07-30-2015 02:18 PM

Do you use the factory key remote to activate and deactivate the alarm or is there an additional remote?

wejarrell 07-30-2015 03:44 PM

Factory only, but as stated it isn't just the remote that is failing, it is the internal door locks and the putting it in drive and park, except the back one.

Greg S 07-30-2015 07:00 PM

Quite possible that the door lock module is failing and needs to be replaced.

rjjone2 08-02-2015 12:14 PM

I am having a similar issue on my '08. A few years ago, my rear driver side door lock would randomly not work when using the key fob to lock or unlock the doors. I was thinking it was the actuator but then just recently I started having issues with the two front doors as well. Some times one or more will not lock and when I put the car in drive I can here the actuators fire several times trying to lock the doors. I was prepared to replace all of the actuators but now GregS has me thinking it may be the module. Any info on where that is located?

rjjone2 08-02-2015 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by rjjone2 (Post 4170469)
I am having a similar issue on my '08. A few years ago, my rear driver side door lock would randomly not work when using the key fob to lock or unlock the doors. I was thinking it was the actuator but then just recently I started having issues with the two front doors as well. Some times one or more will not lock and when I put the car in drive I can here the actuators fire several times trying to lock the doors. I was prepared to replace all of the actuators but now GregS has me thinking it may be the module. Any info on where that is located?

Ok after looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the individual door actuators are wired directly to the ECU, no intermediate module that controls all 4 that I can see. This either means that I randomly had 3 start failing within a few years of each other or I have a larger issue with the ECU. Troubling.

rjjone2 08-05-2015 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by rjjone2 (Post 4170470)
Ok after looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the individual door actuators are wired directly to the ECU, no intermediate module that controls all 4 that I can see. This either means that I randomly had 3 start failing within a few years of each other or I have a larger issue with the ECU. Troubling.

After a brutal 2 full days of work, I'm happy to report that I've fully refurbished the motors in the three lock assemblies that were failing. After attempting a fix with a universal actuator kit which ended up not working, I found a DIY outlining the motor refurbish procedure and decided to give it a shot. It was painful to learn how to do it on door 1. Getting the lock assembly out of the door was hard and then you have to crack into the assembly housing to extract the motor that drives the lock cable. Incredibly, it is the simplest little hobby motor that you would find in a kids toy. I guess after years of use, the contacts on the motor build up carbon and the commutator stops moving. So cleaning the contacts fixes the issue. Then it is super painful to get the motor back in and get the assembly to function properly. There are a ton of little levers, gears, springs, and clips in that thing that can get all jumbled if you are not careful. Anyway, my dad and I knocked out three of the doors and I'm not having issues any more.

Here is the DIY I followed:

DIY Gen 2 Power Lock Actuator Repair. Cost $0! - Scion xB Forum

HATEnFATE 08-05-2015 09:19 PM

:) SUPER!