Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

So I got the flashing CEL, VSC, TC & Dealer said...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, it's not a RECALL, it is a service bulletin though. That means that they can find the fix for these codes in their system. It is covered under the 3/36 warranty. But not a recall.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Just picked up my ride and took a glance at the bill. Total was $994.xx Good thing this happened before the basic warranty was up!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I went to the dealership and they told me it was bc of my aftermarket intake. Which i can say that my filter my have thrown oil on the mass air flow sensor but this light came on b4 i put the aftermarket intake on. Either way i was still out of warranty and they didnt bother to say anything about a harness problem. I asked the service tech and he said he hasnt heard anything about this yet. So if it happens again ill just pay out of pocket for the harness i guess....
Old 02-10-2010, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

avoid a problem and put on the stock intake.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RC-PILOT
OK, I went to work and pulled this up from ALLDATA in the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) section for the 08 XB. Seems the problem part is the whole eng harness and they have changed it for the 09 & up...

S-SB-0050-08
November 12, 2008
M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0101, P0172, P035 #, P2237 or P2238
Service Category
Engine/Hybrid System

Section
Engine Control

Market
USA

Applicability
Introduction
Some 2008 - 2009 model year xB vehicles may exhibit a M.I.L. "ON" with one of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
^P0101 - Mass Air Flow Circuit Range / Performance Issue
^P0172 - System Too Rich
^P035 # - Ignition Coil '# ' Primary / Secondary Circuit
^P2237 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit / Open
^P2238 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit Low

An improved engine wire harness has been developed and implemented in production to address this condition. Use the following repair procedure to diagnose and repair customer complaint vehicles.
Production Change Information

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown.
Thanks for the info, but I'd really like to know what the VIN number break over is. Also, the suggestion of the TSB is the coil pack "problem" is actually the fault of the harness, not the coil packs. Any further info available?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

The Vin break is listed at the bottom of that TSB. any vehicles produced before that posted VIN can be affected.

What more info are you looking for? You'll not be able to find out what was changed as dealers don't even get that kind of info.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope this will help clear up some questions...

TSB # S-SB-0050-08 November 12, 2008

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

AUTOMATIC TRANS VIN# JTLKE50E*91067111
MANUAL TRANS VIN# JTLKE50E*91067112
Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HATEnFATE
You'll not be able to find out what was changed as dealers don't even get that kind of info.
That is correct for sure. If the problems match the TSB, they will replace it and play dumb.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by my_cubicle_part2
I had the same issue about 6 months ago- Ignition coil: Primary / Secondary Circuit
According to service rep, it's a recall
SORRY, NOT A RECALL. The ONLY recall for the o8 Xb is for a little sticker that shows the GVW rating.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

^^What he said....not a recall, just a service bulletin.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RC-PILOT
I hope this will help clear up some questions...

TSB # S-SB-0050-08 November 12, 2008

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

AUTOMATIC TRANS VIN# JTLKE50E*91067111
MANUAL TRANS VIN# JTLKE50E*91067112
Thanks dude! Looks like I'm in the clear, though no doubt others aren't !

Originally Posted by HATEnFATE
The Vin break is listed at the bottom of that TSB. any vehicles produced before that posted VIN can be affected.
What more info are you looking for? You'll not be able to find out what was changed as dealers don't even get that kind of info.
Perhaps I was less clear than I thought -- I'll repeat: "Also, the suggestion of the TSB is the coil pack "problem" is actually the fault of the harness, not the coil packs. Any further info available?" That is to say, I'm wondering whether the coil packs are a genuine problem, or just a symptom of the wiring harness issue. Thanks !
Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
"Also, the suggestion of the TSB is the coil pack "problem" is actually the fault of the harness, not the coil packs. Any further info available?" That is to say, I'm wondering whether the coil packs are a genuine problem, or just a symptom of the wiring harness issue. Thanks !
That is a GREAT QUESTION!!! I have been wondering about that myself. Toyota/Lexus/Scion coils are very good quality. An earlier post went on and on about the coil failures. In almost 9 years in our shop, replacement of coils in any Toyota vehicle has been rare at best. They just don't fail. So your question is dead on..... is it the coil or the harness problem looking like a coil? Hmmm....
Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow toyota has went downhill lately
Old 02-15-2010, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

I've been with Toyota for almost 9 1/2 years. In that time I've sold maybe 5 coils. usually because someone "thought" the outer boot on an old coil was replaceable and ripped it off. New coil designs do not have this boot.

I would guess that the harness is somehow damaging the coil but this is purely hear-say as I've got no proof of that. I figure that has to be right as generally the same location of coil fails on the xB.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I have a 2 week old rs7 and same thing just happend to me. So maybe they didn't fix this issue yet. Waiting at service now will post up when I find out.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^Ok, so what happened? Don't let them just say "we fixed it". Make them tell you what happened.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not fixed yet kept it over night
Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 AM

This has happened to my 08 about a year ago. First they replace the harness as per the tsb. Then a few weeks later the problem came back and then they replace one of the coils. Few weeks later same thing again and this time they replaced all four coils. It turns out since one of the coils were defective it caused other coils to fail also. Well that's what they told me anyways but since then it hasn't come back.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well heres the verdict. The guy last night cleared my codes before the head mech could look at it today . So just going off those codes they say the wheel sensor got wacky from the snow. But he did say there was a lot of stuff in the readings that didn't make sense. Well first off i can live with a wheel sensor kicking off my abs aND TRACTION CONTROL and the cel. But heres my problem all waring lights came on at once when it first happend and the wipers stopped working elec steering stopped and lights dimmed. Shut car off restarted and then the abs traction light and cell came on. So im sure it will happen again. But hope it doesn't.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW! That's about all I can say....wow! Please keep us posted if things happen again. Sounds like there were way too many systems involved for it to just be coils. Something is up. What year modle is your B? Does it land within the vin codes listed in the TSB sheet? Did they record the codes they found? Wow!

Quick Reply: So I got the flashing CEL, VSC, TC & Dealer said...