Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

So I got the flashing CEL, VSC, TC & Dealer said...

Old 02-02-2010, 11:52 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default So I got the flashing CEL, VSC, TC & Dealer said...

When I left work this evening I noticed my CEL, VSC, and TC On. Luckily I'm only 15 mins from dealer and they just looked at it right now.
The verdict......My engine wire harness has to be replaced . I know I shouldn't be mad since its under warranty but I'm worried about what problems may arise after warranty.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same issue here. it was under warranty as well. been fixed for like 6 months and no issues since then.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Was it your harness too?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:14 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Madness! Im just glad I was still under the 3/36k warranty otherwise I would
have been screwed!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Darn, the mileage on my 2008 is absolutely crawling due to my having repaired my previous ride and the cost of properly insuring the xB. It will be a most incredible drag if, after the basic warranty expires, I learn the "wiring harness" is defective and needs to be replaced. That, to me, would justify a class action suite against Toyota/Scion.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

I've had a few friends who needed one of the coil packs replaced too along with that harness....
Old 02-03-2010, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

me too. when my car went bonkers they did both repairs. not sure if there's a service bulletin out on it. at the dealership i was the first with the issue.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Did ur dealer mention what caused the failure? Im now considering purchasing the extended 7/100k warranty before the basic one ends (Im at 28k now).
Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope. i never asked. it crapped out on me and was repaired so i left it alone.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm...I'm glad I bought the 100k warranty. Too bad I'm already halfway to its end. If it happens it better happen soon. lol
Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here we go again! Bend over and let the dealer tell you NOTHING! I want to know what they found and why the harness had to be replaced. I'm telling you that a harness is not a minor repair. If they are replaceing harnesses that much there should be a recall on them, extended warranty on them or some friggin explenation as to WHY they need to be replaced.

Ok, it is possible that the B has an ignition harness that plugs into the igniion module. That would not be a big deal to replace, but I have not had a lot of time to go over my engine that closely. A small harness and a coil or 2 wold not be that big of a deal, but when you say harness, I'm thikning the engine (or under hood) harness. That would not be a cheap thing at all, but some small section of harness would not be that big of a deal. You should ask them what they replaced, or at least ask them for the part # that they replaced. If nothing else, you should be keeping your records for future reference.

Last edited by RC-PILOT; 02-04-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: I lowered my voice.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lucky for me all my lights just kicked on. To bad im 5000 miles over my warranty!... so taking my xb to the shop tomorrow to get her looked at, lets hope this doesnt cost a lot (HAHA yea right)
Old 02-04-2010, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

It's the engine wiring harness....about 800 dollars.

I'd rather it be the engine wire however, rather then the engine room main wire. Those are usually in the thousands to get replaced. in our case the engine room wire is just over 2000 for the part alone.

The part has been "improved" and mid to late 09's and up aren't affected as they already have the improved harnesses.

I've got an early 08 and so far I've had NO problems with my wire so maybe it's a climate thing, kinda like the people that say thier e-brake cables freeze. I've never had that problem and I live in a wintery state.

Last edited by HATEnFATE; 02-04-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Did ur dealer mention what caused the failure? Im now considering purchasing the extended 7/100k warranty before the basic one ends (Im at 28k now).
for the record, most "extended warranties" on cars are damn near worthless. their coverage is usually crap. if you really look into it, very very carefully read and understand what it does and does not cover. most people think they purchase an extended warranty and think the whole car is covered until something breaks, and low and behold, it isn't covered.

for instance, just recently, my mom had a sidewall bubble on the side of her tires that she bought new just over a year ago. merchant's tire sold her a lifetime warranty, and for some bizarre reason, this isn't part of the warranty coverage. the woman only drives 20 minutes a day to the metro and then back every day. they said "oh, you must have hit a pot hole that damaged the sidewall and caused the bubble." so that isn't warrantied. i know a warranty is usually a guarantee against manufacturer defect, but when you sell one with a tire, usually you assume it'll cover some sort of unforeseen problem down the road...and it doesn't.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:46 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by HATEnFATE
It's the engine wiring harness....about 800 dollars.

I'd rather it be the engine wire however, rather then the engine room main wire. Those are usually in the thousands to get replaced. in our case the engine room wire is just over 2000 for the part alone.

The part has been "improved" and mid to late 09's and up aren't affected as they already have the improved harnesses.

I've got an early 08 and so far I've had NO problems with my wire so maybe it's a climate thing, kinda like the people that say thier e-brake cables freeze. I've never had that problem and I live in a wintery state.
Thanks for the info, before I went to the dealer I didn't even realize this was an issue with the xb2. I'm not too upset anymore though, I've come to realize that this was the 1st year of a new model so there will be "bugs" with it.

I'm just glad the dealer has given me ZERO bs with the issues that have arrised (first the water pump and now this). Thumbs up to Toyota of Irving.

I dropped off my ride last night and this time I got a 09 corolla xrs (got an S last time). I dont know if this thing has been beat to hell but GOOD LORD the tranny is a mess. It shifts very rough in S-shift mode. If I drive regular in D mode and I just barely blip the throttle, the tranny is fumbling to find which gear to use. Also the gas mileage is now where near as great as the S that I got for a rental the first time but that is expected lol. (damn you, you thirsty 2az-fe motor!).
Old 02-04-2010, 03:49 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
for the record, most "extended warranties" on cars are damn near worthless. their coverage is usually crap. if you really look into it, very very carefully read and understand what it does and does not cover. most people think they purchase an extended warranty and think the whole car is covered until something breaks, and low and behold, it isn't covered.
I hear what you're saying. If I even buy one its going to be a Toyota extended care one, not the bs ones you see on tv.

I'm still trying to figure out what the Toyota one is going to cover though....anyone have a link to show all that is covered with the 7/100k warranty through Toyota?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, I went to work and pulled this up from ALLDATA in the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) section for the 08 XB. Seems the problem part is the whole eng harness and they have changed it for the 09 & up...

S-SB-0050-08
November 12, 2008
M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0101, P0172, P035 #, P2237 or P2238
Service Category
Engine/Hybrid System

Section
Engine Control

Market
USA

Applicability
Introduction
Some 2008 - 2009 model year xB vehicles may exhibit a M.I.L. "ON" with one of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
^P0101 - Mass Air Flow Circuit Range / Performance Issue
^P0172 - System Too Rich
^P035 # - Ignition Coil '# ' Primary / Secondary Circuit
^P2237 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit / Open
^P2238 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit Low

An improved engine wire harness has been developed and implemented in production to address this condition. Use the following repair procedure to diagnose and repair customer complaint vehicles.
Production Change Information

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown.

Parts Information

Warranty Information
APPLICABLE WARRANTY
^This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
^Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Required Tools & Equipment
Additional TIS Techstream units may be ordered by calling Approved Dealer Equipment (ADE).
Repair Procedure
1.Using TIS Techstream check for stored DTCs.
2.Verify one of the following DTCs is present.
^P0101
^P0172
^P035 #
^P2237
^P2238
NOTE If other DTCs are present along with any of the DTCs listed above, this TSB does NOT apply. Follow Repair Manual procedures to diagnose those DTCs.

3.Follow Repair Manual procedure to inspect the DTC-related component(s).

Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS) applicable model year Scion xB Repair Manual:
4.If the DTC-related component(s) is within Repair Manual specifications replace the engine wire harness.
5.After replacing the engine harness clear DTCs and verify that no DTCs reset. Then warm vehicle to operating temperature and test drive to verify repair.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seems not all the data copied over. But that gives more data to the situation at least.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same issue about 6 months ago- Ignition coil: Primary / Secondary Circuit
According to service rep, it's a recall

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I got the flashing CEL, VSC, TC & Dealer said...