Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Sound System for SQ ( Sound Quality)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sound System for SQ ( Sound Quality)

So here's the thing I finally came up with what sub I should buy ------------ IDMAXD4 12" which is about $400 bucks.

My main goal is sound quality.

My budget is $2500.

I already have componet speakers....the polk db6501's which sound damn good. But I'm guessing I should replace them because of a sharp harsh frequency they give off on some notes.

So...... that leaves me with $2100 bucks.

Whats the best headunit (touch screen with ipod integration, speakers, amps (mono + 4 channel), enclosures, equalizers, etc...... I should get.

Please dont give off random companies....don't say JL....because they aren't the best and surely there are cheaper and better brands.

Thanks any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if you are looking for true SQ, to the extent of actually wanting to compete, you will need quite a bit more money than that. I used to compete SQ, it isn't cheap by any means.

Look into brands such as Rainbow, Dynaudio, Helix, and Focal for speakers, but not their cheapest lines, those are for the average consumer.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1171
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3598

Amplifiers look into Audison and Focal to start.

You WILL need external processing. You will want a 30 band equalizer. Now you will need to visit a local shop that has the tools to actually tune the thing, because you want an absolute flat sound to get high points.

For the head unit, you don't want one with touchscreen, ipod control and all that. Those are NOT geared towards SQ, they are geared towars the every day consumer. You want this:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...er/DEH-P800PRS

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ +1. Focal makes some of the highest SQ speakers. You will have to pay though. Last time I looked they were $800 plus for just one set of 6.5 components.

The pioneer suggested is really good. The main thing to look for in a headunit is the ability to adjust the sound stage and speaker delay or phasing. This makes the biggest difference in SQ.

If you're not competing, any pioneer, eclipse, alpine, clarion dvd touchscreen will work great, and they are all comparable. Just shop around for the best deal.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol im not looking to compete otherwise I would need like 10 Grand

Personally I'm really picky when it comes to sound.

Any other suggestions would help a lot!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In all honesty, the untrained ear probably can't tell a difference between a $300 and a $900 set of components. And if you aren't looking to compete, save the extra money.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't really understand why more people aren't using JL Audios 8W7. That thing is sick. Everyone says it's "almost too accurate" and "has the power of a good 12".
Old 07-10-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by detroitbassxb
In all honesty, the untrained ear probably can't tell a difference between a $300 and a $900 set of components. And if you aren't looking to compete, save the extra money.
The smartest thing I've heard all day!

John
Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2k might be a little lite, but should get you close

Alpine W505 with H701 - most of your budget
lots of sound deadening -

a nice a nice 5 channel amp
depending on your install speakers can go different ways.... is it going to be pro done? Stock locations? custom locations?

I have some equipment that might be almost perfect
a 5 channel amp, zapco components, and enough deadening to do all the doors and then some

my current install is different, but this is where it started
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...highlight=zuki
Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by xFistsClenchedx
I don't really understand why more people aren't using JL Audios 8W7. That thing is sick. Everyone says it's "almost too accurate" and "has the power of a good 12".
Too expensive for what it is... A Digital Designs 1508 will stomp all over an 8W7...

How much space are you willing to sacrafice for a substage? If you're looking for SQ, the first thing I would address is sound deadening.

Good budget components that have been stated are Focal, Dynaudio, Rainbow, etc. Hertz, DLS, and CDT are some ones to consider. You don't necessarily need an IDMax for decent SQ. Granted, it is an accurate subwoofer, there's others out there. If you're not looking for large ammounts of bass, you may look into some 8" subwoofers. 8's have come a long way.
Here's a great sub/amp combo for a great price: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...howtopic=17667

Soundown is a great company with great customer service. I have a Sundown amplifier in my xB and I love it. It's incredibly effecient and has good clean looks to boot!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Too expensive for what it is... A Digital Designs 1508 will stomp all over an 8W7...
I don't know about that. Granted, I can't compare JL Audios components to other stuff from other companies, but I can say that the JL Audio 8W7 got excellent reviews. Here is a clip from a review I found on Consumer Guide.

This subwoofer is almost as deep as it is wide, thanks to a voice coil designed to provide extreme linear excursion. All of these technical features boil down to one thing: incredible sound from a single voice coil eight-inch subwoofer rated at a maximum power handling of 300 watts into 3 ohms. JL Audio has produced a terrific sounding subwoofer, at a price that is well worth every penny for the sound that the 8W7-3 produces.
Also, here are some user reviews I've found on the web.

I have owned about ever 8 on the market and i have to say this was one of the most impressive 8's i have tested. The excursion on this little thing is crazy. The sub will take way over rated rms with no problems (800-1000rms depending on box size) The subs hammers the lowes in a nice ported enclosure will still sounding very clean and having alot of out put. Little price, but honestly worth its price tag.

Was sketchy at first about the price of this sub. Especially for an 8 inch sub. I wanted a small sub to save space in the trunk to fit other things like golf clubs, baby's stroller etc. LOL!! JL audio is one of the few car audio dealers who make 8 inch subs. So I figure I this little guy out. I purchased just one 8 inch sub running on 300watts off of a mono block. Simple and small system, but let me tell you. The best sounding system I had yet. This little thing hits like some 10" and 12" subs that I heard. THUNDER!! Turn it up and it only gets louder, deeper, and still clear. I can only imagine what the 13" w7 sounds like!! For all you car audio fanatics out there, go with JL. You truly get for what you pay for. Clarity is what I now look for and I'm glad that I picked JL audio now and definitely for the future.
I have been into high end car audio for about the last eleven years. I have competed in national car audio events and have faimly that have as well. At first I was obsessed with SPL but as I got older Sound Quality was more important. I'm an Auto Insurance Adjuster and I spend ALOT of time in my car. I have 6.5" JL audio componets mounted in the front doors and one 8w7. I'm hitting the 6.5's with a JL 300/2 and the 8w7 with a 500/1. I have the 8w7 mounted in a slot ported box built to spec buy jl's recommedations. After I dialed in the Parametric EQ on the 500/1 and got it dialed in for my car, I am more than pleased with this sub. I have heard alot of good sounding subs in my time but this thing hammers for what it is. I would highly recommed this sub with the 500/1 combo. The parametric eq can be a little tricky but once it's dialed in i sounds awesome. GREAT SUB.
I'm a JL Audio fanboy. Anyway, even if the Digital Designs sub is just as good, I don't understand why people are obsessed with the size of the sub instead of the quality of the sound. I'd much rather have a really high quality 8" than a middle of the road 10" or 12"
Old 07-11-2008, 02:38 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

There is much better stuff out there then JL! Anyways, to the OP nice equipment is great start but take time to think out your install. SQ is different to different people, some may like their tweets in the a-pillars, some may like them as close to the mid as possible etc. I guess what I am trying to say is... install, install, install!!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I agree. I haven't played with any 8's, but I sure do want to! The Digital Designs are more in the OP's budget range, too. The JL is around $350 as opposed to the DD being in the $140 range.
I used to be a JL fanboy. Hence why I have their XR650-Csi's in my front doors. But there's better for less. :D
Old 07-11-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 3 8w3v2s in a sealed box powered by a jl500/5 and they hammer. I was also thinking replacing them with a 8w7 but I have no room for it.
-nick
Old 07-11-2008, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's where I need a lot of help. I work at Circuit City so I can get crazy discounts off Kicker, Pioneer, Polk, etc...

The supervisor of car electronics I trust 110%. He says that I should go with a kicker cvx 10" subs and kicker amps. I already have a 12" cvr sub which is good for SPL but for SQ it sucks.

My biggest problem is I don't know if I want to go with kicker.

I'm really confused.

Any help would be great.

THANKS!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

If you have access to a woodworking shop and are handy, hit up this guy: www.pwkdesigns.com.

He's awesome with acoustics with cars. I have about 6 different sets of blueprints from him for subwoofer enclosures.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CC sells alpine right? (i worked at BestBuy running the installBay) if so I would get their new 5 channel its small and powerfull, but its digial so the distortion rate (THD) is alittle higher that normal, not that anyone could really tell the difference.
If not the kicker amps arent bad give them a listen and look at all the specs. then go from there.
-nick
Old 07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If I remember correctly, Circuit City dropped Alpine and only BB has it now.

borninussr, skip that Kicker stuff. You've already identified the main problems you're gonna have with it. Do you have to order your subs from Circuit City? If not, that will expand your options quite a bit. But if so we'll figure something out that works for you.

Regarding components, many of the brands that have already been mentioned are great brands. If you're interested in CDT, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to help you out.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would run all dls amps but just the three amps you'd need would be over 2k. so uhh... i dunno
Old 07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will say your #1 choice should be Hertz/Audison.... You can try the Elemental Designs on the cheap or go w/ the CDT line which has great speakers. If you go w/ CDT, you can use Elemental Design amps, they are decent enough. but nothing will beat the Hertz Audison pair.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay tell me if this is good.

I decided to go with audison amp and hertz speakers. Whats the biggest difference between the hertz and the focals?

As far as subs which is better RE AUDIO or IMAGE DYNAMICS?

What about multimedia headunits: Kenwood or Clarion?

Quick Reply: Sound System for SQ ( Sound Quality)