Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Ticket for Factory Rear Privacy Glass..

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reaper_700
PA (PennDot) labels my xB: TOYOTA, WAGON. Yet State Farm Insurance card shows SCION VAN. (State Farm says they HAVE to have it this way, (Comes in when they punch VIN in)... Gotta love consistency. My INS card and Reg card are a mismatch I have to PAY Penndot for an info change or some garbage. No thanks, they did it when the Dealer submitted for my tags....
Weird, Progressive defines my xB as a micro wagon -- personally, I agree !
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats the news on the outcome? I believe it makes no difference. MPV, Wagon, Truck, Van all should hold the same law where you can black out the rear glass in most states as a utility vehicle.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vedlinyrim
Whats the news on the outcome? I believe it makes no difference. MPV, Wagon, Truck, Van all should hold the same law where you can black out the rear glass in most states as a utility vehicle.
For New York state, the fact that the vehicle is classed officially and federally as an MPV should exempt it from the tint laws for windows behind the "B" pillar (behind the driver), as MPVs are specifically exempted by NYS law.

Since this is a state-by-state thing, there MAY be another state out there that does not exempt MPVs, but I do not know of any.

(As to how this individual ticket came out, I do not know. Hopefully Schmohey will let us know how he fared...)

Tom
Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Fight it ! if you can prove that there is no tint ..Then you win .. No matter what the law is .. Its the dealer that gets ticketed for selling illegal equipment..Just like its illegal for a tint shop to do limo tint on your windows.So fight the tickit. have another officer sign your tickit in the daytime that says there is no tint on my car.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by hollywoodjdub
Fight it ! if you can prove that there is no tint ..Then you win.... .....have another officer sign your tickit in the daytime that says there is no tint on my car.
But it IS tinted...
Old 08-03-2012, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HATEnFATE
But it IS tinted...
True but I think he was implying that there is no film on either side of the glass rather the back window is technically "stained" from the factory. I'm so glad TX has no BS laws like this.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got 5% on the rear windows and the hatch glass, 5% strip over the uv clear on the front windshield & 30% on the front windows. Never been bothered & I have the same set up on my Tacoma.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by elsenordave
I got 5% on the rear windows and the hatch glass, 5% strip over the uv clear on the front windshield & 30% on the front windows. Never been bothered & I have the same set up on my Tacoma.
"Never been bothered" - LOLOL!

I'll give you $5 if you go up to a random police officer and be like "Excuse my, but I was wondering if you could look at the tint on my car and tell me if it's legal? I don't want to break any laws....".
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blawruk
"Never been bothered" - LOLOL!

I'll give you $5 if you go up to a random police officer and be like "Excuse my, but I was wondering if you could look at the tint on my car and tell me if it's legal? I don't want to break any laws....".
Name:  ce30a72a.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  190.5 KB
My tint setup
I think the key to avoiding the popo is to befriend them.

I have multiple friends on the force and in traffic enforcement...I have asked and the only risk I take is no front plate on my taco
Name:  6ff2f6d7.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  440.0 KB
But was told I wouldn't get pulled over for no plate...something more egregious would precipitate the pull over so I drive with relative confidence...
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 AM
SL Member

F'ing _____! They'll do anything to get money from our broke ____. Atleast here in NC the xB is considered an SUV so the back glass and rear doors are allowed dark tint.

*edited for language by moderator

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-16-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both the xB Classic and the xB2 are officially imported and documented as "Multi-Purpose Vehicle" by the federal government, and that is reflected on the federally required information placard attached to each one on the driver's door post...

xB Classic:

xB2:

A picture of that label from one's xB should end the court's interest in pursuing a fine, as that means the vehicle is allowed tinted windows behind the "B" pillar per both federal and NY law.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member

People can get ticketed for observations by the officer. The "tools" are there to verify, or "backup" the officers' observations. Officer sees a car going about 70 mph. Then uses radar or lidar to verify actual speed of 68.
Visuals. Audios. Drunk. The tools are there to dial in the details of what was seen/heard first.
Convictions have been handed out without the "tools" in a few cases.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It has been a couple of month since I went to court for this issue. I was ____ed off so I didn't get a chance to get back to you guys. I showed the judge all the documentations but he didn't care much and had me pay the fine. I could appeal but it would cost an additional $60 on top of my $180 tint tickets. I didn't want to risk losing another $60 so I just paid it and left it as is.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't understand the law, what about vans and delivery trucks with no rear window? I see them every day.What about wraps with signage? Had one on my Tacoma with a shell, had my co. logo on it. This is what they call law enforcement ? What a wast of our tax dollars IMO.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:07 PM

NYS allows tint behind the B pillar on these vehicles, not sure why they would ticket you. I would fight it till the bitter end just out of the principal of it. I drive my Corvette around with 20% tint with no issues, same with my Jeep, my neighbor moved here from LasVegas and has lived here for 3 years and his truck WINDSHIELD is tinted, the entire thing, along with the rest of the glass and he has not gotten stopped either and he's a young guy who they like to stop. I suppose it largely depends on where you live in NY.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was once stopped for tints on my xB2. The cop asked why I had tints. I told him I bought the vehicle this way and that's how Scion built the car.

The cop said he stopped me because he couldn't see if I was wearing my seat belt. BTW, I live in NJ.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-07-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fight it, but be cautious.