Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Transmission Fluid Change

Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Transmission Fluid Change

Hello,

They showed me that my transmission fluid is black. Should I change it? Should I replace the filter? It's going to cost $285 for the full service

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2014, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have two main options assuming it's an automatic:

1. Get it flushed (about $100, or way more at the dealer) which almost never includes replacing the filter
2. Drain and refill it yourself, while at the same time replacing the transmission filter (about $80 for fluid, new filter, and gasket; make sure you get the real Toyota specific fluid from the dealer)

If it's a manual, you can just drain and refill yourself.

None of these options should cost you $285; that's crazy.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off.

How many miles are on the car.

Your ATF should be Red or maybe dark red. It depends on when you check it. However mileage is very important here. These cars can go a very long time without having it changed. check your manual
Old 10-30-2014, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would do a few drain/fills myself. I have been doing mine every 15K or so as its so easy to do (half the work of an oil change, really).

I have done mine at 17K, 30K, 45K, 75K and 95K.

My fluid is bright red, smells "fresh" and my transmission shifts as good as the day I bought the car. I just hit 100K on mine. I always used the Toyota WS fluid and the 3.5qt drain/fill. My brother works at a Toyota Dealership, so the fluid is not too expensive for me to get.

But I would just recommend doing (3) relatively back-to-back fluid changes... So you would need 11qts of the WS fluid (3.5qt per change). Change it, drive the car around a bit or a few days, do the second one, repeat...

I don't remember the exact number, but if our ATF sump is 11qts... Exchanging out 3.5qts once will replace 32% of the fluid, changing twice 54%, three times 68% and four times 78%. Adjusted for the mixing and all that (you never really reach 100, but you get close at around 7 times... 93%).

Just some food for thought!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the responses! To answer your question, my car just passed the 90k mark.

I wouldn't mind trying it myself but don't I need a car lift to do it? And I'm assuming I shouldn't just let the fluid leak into a storm drain, correct?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the responses! To answer your question, my car just passed the 90k mark.

I wouldn't mind trying it myself but don't I need a car lift to do it? And I'm assuming I shouldn't just let the fluid leak into a storm drain, correct?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My local Toyotas in Colorado do it for about $120. I would definitely shop around. But don't take it to other shops unless they use Toyota (WS) World Standard Fluid. Also, the fluid flush works best when you change the fluid at a certain temperature. Most dealers should do the flush properly. If you haven't done your Tranny flush in your first 75k-100k in an Automatic, it will vary car by car & driver by driver but it may no longer be safe to do a fluid flush. That info comes from a few Toyota Mechanics I know.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, what I'll also add is I went to Pep Boys and they asked, "Why do you want it changed?" They said that it may not be necessary, but I should have it done as a 100k or 120k service.

I watched some Youtube videos and it seems pretty straightforward. Just empty the fluid, add more fluid to flush, and once everything's a bright red, fill with World Standard.

If I need 11 quarts for the flush and fill, that should cost $103.73 to do the whole thing. But I don't want to mess anything up. Is there an illustrated guide or video on doing this for a Scion?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:02 PM

Never heard of the World Standard fluid. I just bought my xB a short time ago, so was planning on doing a fluid/filter change, just so I know it's been done. It's got 113,000 miles on the car, and I'm not sure when it was changed, although the previous owner always took it to Toyota for service. I bought some Valvoline Max Life synthetic (what Valvoline recommends for it) and was going to use that. I haven't even looked under that car yet. Is it typical Toyota, with the convenient drain plug that American manufacturers are too cheap to put on their cars? Anyway, any thoughts on the Valvoline?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't remember the size, but yes, it's a standard star bit plug with a metal crush washer. You can get the replacement crush washer (always a good idea) for about $3-4 at the dealer.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 AM

Cool! Thank you! I kind of figured. I had a Geo Prizm that had a drain plug. Since I couldn't drain the fluid completely, I changed the filter and replaced the fluid that drained, then drained and refilled a couple times later on.

Anyone know about the Valvoline fluid? Valvoline says it's compatible, and it's fully synthetic, so it sounds like the ticket. I used Amsoil in my Geo and liked it. Plus, it extends drain intervals.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a big debate when it comes to changing your fluid. If the vehicle manufacturer makes their own specific brand its going to be the best. It was made for YOUR car. My family owns a few car dealerships and im a certified mechanic. From my experience if you change your fluid regularly from the time you bought the car or if you bought the car and it has less than 100K miles on it then yes you should change your fluid. After 100K if its never been done its a waste of time. Now i change mine every 30K. Thats a little overkill but on average every 50k to 60k is about right. I dont like the flushes because small metal shavings that fill gaps between worn transmission parts are removed in a full flush. I prefer a drain and fill. It only changes about 1/3 of the fluid but its enough to keep the fluid fresh. Its like oil after so ling the fluid breaks down and goes bad. This is on an automatic. On a 5 speed it doesnt matter. Yes you should change the fluid at the same miles but its HELL of a lot cheaper replacing a clutch than an auto tranny rebuild. And a 5 speed give or take needs a new clutch at 100K any way
Old 05-22-2015, 03:33 PM

From the condition of the car, and from what they told the dealer, the previous owners always had it serviced at Toyota, and there was still a sticker in the window from the last oil change there, so it's likely all of the other scheduled services were done on time. Whoever owned it before me definitely took care of it, and it shows. They trade it in on a new Ford Flex. Needed a bigger box, I suppose! I'll be doing the filter/fluid change myself, once our weather decides to give me the opportunity! Looking forward to many long years and mile from this car. I love it!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rev_Rock
From the condition of the car, and from what they told the dealer, the previous owners always had it serviced at Toyota, and there was still a sticker in the window from the last oil change there, so it's likely all of the other scheduled services were done on time. Whoever owned it before me definitely took care of it, and it shows. They trade it in on a new Ford Flex. Needed a bigger box, I suppose! I'll be doing the filter/fluid change myself, once our weather decides to give me the opportunity! Looking forward to many long years and mile from this car. I love it!
well enjoy the box. I have 2 of them an 2009 with 115K and a 2010 with 57K and not a problem with either one. Its a toyota thats all you can really say.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Keffer69
there is a big debate when it comes to changing your fluid. If the vehicle manufacturer makes their own specific brand its going to be the best. It was made for YOUR car. My family owns a few car dealerships and im a certified mechanic. From my experience if you change your fluid regularly from the time you bought the car or if you bought the car and it has less than 100K miles on it then yes you should change your fluid. After 100K if its never been done its a waste of time. Now i change mine every 30K. Thats a little overkill but on average every 50k to 60k is about right. I dont like the flushes because small metal shavings that fill gaps between worn transmission parts are removed in a full flush. I prefer a drain and fill. It only changes about 1/3 of the fluid but its enough to keep the fluid fresh. Its like oil after so ling the fluid breaks down and goes bad. This is on an automatic. On a 5 speed it doesnt matter. Yes you should change the fluid at the same miles but its HELL of a lot cheaper replacing a clutch than an auto tranny rebuild. And a 5 speed give or take needs a new clutch at 100K any way
I took my '11 automatic in to a Toyota dealer at 40k and asked to have the fluid changed and he said, "Don't even bother with it until 90k." Now, I know the Japanese fluids are different than ours, (and our laws won't let us buy them in the US) so I thought, ok. SO, should I take it to another dealer for a change?