Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

TRD CAI with aftermarket filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD CAI with aftermarket filter?

So I have a question, what does anyone think about getting the TRD CAI and putting like an AEM filter on it. I want to keep the CARB aspect of the TRD CAI so I don't have to deal with the hassle when I have to get emissions done whenever... but I don't like the snorkle aspect on the end.
I was just playing with the idea of putting some other brand of filter on the end so it will breathe easier. I already have FIG side vent grilles on, so air flow wouldn't be a problem... just looking for people's thoughts and input. Thanks

Brad
Old 02-10-2011, 07:13 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Keep the TRD snorkel, unless you want to risk the chance of sucking water into the engine.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Keep the TRD snorkel, unless you want to risk the chance of sucking water into the engine.
He lives in Tacoma, WA... it never rains up their.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LtBradleykins
So I have a question, what does anyone think about getting the TRD CAI and putting like an AEM filter on it. I want to keep the CARB aspect of the TRD CAI so I don't have to deal with the hassle when I have to get emissions done whenever... but I don't like the snorkle aspect on the end.
I was just playing with the idea of putting some other brand of filter on the end so it will breathe easier. I already have FIG side vent grilles on, so air flow wouldn't be a problem... just looking for people's thoughts and input. Thanks

Brad
CARB isn't an issue unless you live in California (that's what the "C" stands for). Are you sure the AEM filter is a real improvement over the standard TRD CAI high flow? As I recall, K&N has a filter for the TRD, advantage being it's a little cheaper. (I presume you're aware the TRD CAI filter doesn't actually attach to the end of a pipe like most, it fits inside a small inner fender clamshell case.)
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
CARB isn't an issue unless you live in California (that's what the "C" stands for). Are you sure the AEM filter is a real improvement over the standard TRD CAI high flow? As I recall, K&N has a filter for the TRD, advantage being it's a little cheaper. (I presume you're aware the TRD CAI filter doesn't actually attach to the end of a pipe like most, it fits inside a small inner fender clamshell case.)
Okay... good to know... so basically since I don't live in california, that opens up my options.... (i'm presuming) If that's the case then I'll just go with the AEM. As for the rain, it does rain a little bit, but it's more perpetually grey then anything else here. Even still I don't drive through deep puddles because you never know if there are pot holes or anything in them and I cherish my car... LOL But with that being said, I don't think I would drive through anything deep enough to cause a vaporlock.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been thinking about doing this, just because its anoying that I have to lift the car high enough to get the trd snorkle in or remove the front bumper or even the tire and inner wheel plastic piece. I guess just because its easier to remove and clean an after market cone filter.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for the rain, it does rain a little bit, but it's more perpetually grey then anything else here. Even still I don't drive through deep puddles because you never know if there are pot holes or anything in them and I cherish my car... LOL But with that being said, I don't think I would drive through anything deep enough to cause a vaporlock.
Many people (with various cars, including the xB2) have ignored the hydrolock risk and have had to have their engines rebuilt or replaced. The mistake or misjudgement only has to happen once (could even be someone other than you driving the car -- wife? GF? friend?), and you're in deep doo-doo ! I suggest getting the [EDIT] AEM air bypass valve as well -- better to be safe (also a risk with the TRD CAI).

Last edited by TrevorS; 02-13-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Many people (with various cars, including the xB2) have ignored the hydrolock risk and have had to have their engines rebuilt or replaced. The mistake or misjudgement only has to happen once (could even be someone other than you driving the car -- wife? GF? friend?), and you're in deep doo-doo ! I suggest getting the AME water bypass valve as well -- better to be safe (also a risk with the TRD CAI).
Ok so I am guessing you meant to type AEM? And you can get that from the website yes?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so I am guessing you meant to type AEM? And you can get that from the website yes?
http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm

http://www.aemintakes.com/store/prod...x?Prod=20-403S