Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Update:Valve Cover :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
When I was looking at a used purchase, I concluded I'd need a specific tune (generic sounds good, but may not be something I can rely on), plus it would cost me a couple hundred bucks up in New Jersey. I chose as is, but remain interested in people's Unichip results. Would love to learn about your ongoing experience -- here's hoping it works out well !
Tunes are only 30ish even from unichip. There worth it for sure. Love it got 93 finally in it definitely much more fun
Old 09-15-2012, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oreoremix42
Tunes are only 30ish even from unichip. There worth it for sure. Love it got 93 finally in it definitely much more fun
I checked the NJ tuner site and it was clear it was going to cost me through the nose (requires dyno time). I chose to pass. But glad to hear it's working out well for you !
Old 09-16-2012, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can even go on unichips Site and it has a good price for tune.

Dyno tuning isn't the best form of tuning anyhow. Be glad you didn't spend that money for a tune. Tell unichip what's done and boom you have what a good tune. Any good tuning company will know a good ratio the tune needs to be at.

For a true and proper tune you need to buy about 500 bucks of computer diagnostics to hook up to your car to measure all the things going on at the time of a couple very hard pulls while on the real road. Dynotuning isn't great because your car is stationary and when it's not moving not near as cool and we all know that's no good Lol. I looked heavily into tuning a higher horsepower car to make sure the mods that were done were maximized.

If you Dyno its more just like for a baseline so you know Bout what your putting down.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can even go on unichips Site and it has a good price for tune.

Dyno tuning isn't the best form of tuning anyhow. Be glad you didn't spend that money for a tune. Tell unichip what's done and boom you have what a good tune. Any good tuning company will know a good ratio the tune needs to be at.

For a true and proper tune you need to buy about 500 bucks of computer diagnostics to hook up to your car to measure all the things going on at the time of a couple very hard pulls while on the real road. Dynotuning isn't great because your car is stationary and when it's not moving not near as cool and we all know that's no good Lol. I looked heavily into tuning a higher horsepower car to make sure the mods that were done were maximized. If you Dyno its more just like for a baseline so you know Bout what your putting down.
As it happens, I asked Unichip if they could do anything with my specific configuration and I never even received a response -- not exactly confidence generating. From reading, it was advised I contact a "local" tuner, which led me to NJ (nearest one). After evaluation of their fees, I chose to drop it. On the whole it appears a tuner really does need to perform a dyno to properly tune a car. However, the cost of two hours of dyno time plus tuner time just isn't affordable for me !
Old 09-16-2012, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can ask my friend if he would tune one for you? He only charged me 20 and I just shipped it to him
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can ask my friend if he would tune one for you? He only charged me 20 and I just shipped it to him
Thanks, but proper tuning requires matching the tune to the car. Unichip has a chart of certain popular mods that specifies typical settings. For example, header and CAI. They can't adjust for anything that's not on their chart. So, if anything not on their chart is going to be adjusted for, then tuning is required (meaning a tuner and dynos).

That's how they came up with their chart to begin with, running dynos on the most popular basic configurations so they could ship ready to install packages for most customers. Customers who have something less typical can either make do or go get a tune, hence the network of tuners. My end conclusion was that Unichip was not a good solution for me, and that's fine -- I'm happy with the car as is !
Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats actually why I went this direction. It was painted before but chipped over time. So I bought this cover.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ha this is cool...I am actually in the process of doing my bay...got the same strut bar and cover....almost the same oil cap but in another color...haha

Looks good, what I would like to do is change up the bolts where the covers goes...the stock bolts and any bolts are ugly tbh.... would like to see if there is anything we can place there instead....wondering if tire valve covers would work haha