Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Water collects in headliner

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 03:27 AM

Angry Water collects in headliner

I have a 2009 xB. During hard rains I get water in the headliner. Last week was a gusher and the driver's seat and floor were soaked. My car stinks! The dealer told me I needed to clean the rain channel and I did that, but still leaks... I do have a sun roof but the leak doesn't seem to come from that...Otherwise I love this car!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:46 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ucity5
I have a 2009 xB. During hard rains I get water in the headliner. Last week was a gusher and the driver's seat and floor were soaked. My car stinks! The dealer told me I needed to clean the rain channel and I did that, but still leaks... I do have a sun roof but the leak doesn't seem to come from that...Otherwise I love this car!
You more than likely have clogged front drain tubes. Open your sunroof all the way and look in the front corners of the track for a little hole. That is the drain hose, when those clog the water that gets past the sunroof seal backs up and starts coming into the vehicle. If you have a compressor you can take an air chuck and carefully try to blow out the drain tubes or you can use mechanics wire or similar to clean them out. When you are done pour a little water into the sunroof tray near the drains and check to see if they are clear. The water should drain in a few seconds, if it just stays in the track try clearing the drains again. If that doesn't work, then you may need to replace the seal that goes around the glass. But 9 out 10 times it's a drain issue. Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it helps.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:43 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will do exactly as you suggest! ...had no idea there were drains, but I do frequently park under a tree, so this makes perfectly good sense.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I wouldn't use an air compressor unless you can dial back the pressure a lot. I use weedwhacker line to clear mine out, run a couple lines down (my cadillac has 3/8" drain tubes and i use 3 lengths)
Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 AM

compressed air will work but you have to be careful with the pressures (slight chance of drain tube unhooking from the sunroof drip tray.) 4 or 5 foot of weed wacker line is perfect. keep in mind you have 4 drain tubes 1 in each corner and the back ones are a S.O.B. to get to. but the effort is worth it, VS having the interior ruined. to see if it is draining open your sunroof and poor water into the track base of the glass and see where the water goes.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:27 PM

I very much appreciate all of the suggestions. In the last hard rain, I discovered that the drain track of the sunroof over the driver's side was fulllll of water! I could not find the drain hole, but soaked up the track with paper towels. Ultimately decided to take it to the dealer since I could not find the drain holes (the dealer had to remove the small, front section of the sunroof glass to access them). They found water in the headliner, cleared the holes...and let's see what happens tomorrow when it's supposed to rain again!

Now I have to deal with carpet that has gotten moldy on the underside! GRRR!
Good news is that the redbud that shaded my driveway has been cut down.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've used this before (but it was an older version) to remove the musty smell and the dampness from my car after my sunroof leaked. It was actually recommended to me by a buddy who's been using it for years in his convertibles and jeeps.

https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG91-...words=damp+rid