Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   Whats that on my door? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/whats-my-door-111560/)

Pannyman 08-15-2007 04:45 PM

Whats that on my door?

On your rear passenger door there is a overlay of some sort in the shape of a fudged up square.....some people tell me that is it there for rock protection......my question is that how do I remove it. It seems like it is very firm on the car....I have peeled the window tape and I thoguht that was a pain I can only imagine how bad this is gonna be to take off.

Another problem is that I got it waxed it recently and that I have a white line around it making it looked retarded because my box is black. I am afraid that if I have to heat it to remove it that the wax will do bad things to my car if it heat it up....someone help me before I do something stupid

techgeekwill 08-15-2007 06:26 PM

If the heat is low enough, it shouldn't do any harm. I haven't taken this off, and I don't want to now I have bigger wheels.

reaper_700 08-15-2007 06:42 PM

yeah i noticed it too, and it looked like the "Chip Guard" basically. I thought it was clear-coated over though. So removing it will mean getting a body shop to re-paint i would think.

Ricetoaster 08-15-2007 07:55 PM

There is this little rubber tipped tool sold at wal-mart that can be used to get the wax off the edges. It has a brush on one side and the pointed rubber tip on the other side. It's less than $5, I think it is called a "detailing tool" or something like that.

randode 08-15-2007 10:07 PM

I'd warm it up with a hair drier or heat gun, and peel slowly. Clean off any residue with acetone or lacquer thinner, wax it and go have a cold drink.

Whispaz 08-15-2007 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by randode
I'd warm it up with a hair drier or heat gun, and peel slowly. Clean off any residue with acetone or lacquer thinner, wax it and go have a cold drink.

x2

CarAudioUpgrade 08-16-2007 03:23 AM

Does your black xB look different after you pulled your window tape off? Can we see a pic of it without the tape?

Zlog 08-16-2007 04:54 AM

Dooooont use a heat gun. Might be too hot. Hairdryer will be perfect.

Mine just peeled right off on a hot day.

randode 08-16-2007 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zlog
Dooooont use a heat gun. Might be too hot. Hairdryer will be perfect.

Mine just peeled right off on a hot day.

yeah, if you use a heat gun, hold it back about 12" and don't hold it in one spot!

reaper_700 08-17-2007 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by CarAudioUpgrade
Does your black xB look different after you pulled your window tape off? Can we see a pic of it without the tape?

Window Tape? What window tape. Last I checked I had "Tinted Glass". Nothing to peel off. Wasnt he talking about a different car? I am not sure.....

randode 08-17-2007 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by reaper_700

Originally Posted by CarAudioUpgrade

Window Tape? What window tape. Last I checked I had "Tinted Glass". Nothing to peel off. Wasnt he talking about a different car? I am not sure.....

i think hes talking about the black tape on the window frame, not the glass.

reaper_700 08-17-2007 05:16 PM

ahh ok :)