Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   Where are the xB2s being built? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/where-xb2s-being-built-110153/)

bB2NER 08-02-2007 05:32 AM

Where are the xB2s being built?

I'm hearing conflicting info on where they are being built. Some are saying they are built in the US and others are saying still in Japan. Which is it please??? :bow:

bBlover 08-02-2007 06:02 AM

Japan.

bB2NER 08-02-2007 06:31 AM

That's what I thought but quite a few in the automotive media think they are built in USA/Canada or Mexico???? How strange is that?

toronado 08-02-2007 08:00 AM

It's the Central Motors plant in Japan right? Is that the same plant that the xB1 was made in? Does anyone think that the quality control is down from the 1st gen? Did the first gen have all these rattles in the dash and A-pillars and stuff?

bBlover 08-02-2007 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by bB2NER
That's what I thought but quite a few in the automotive media think they are built in USA/Canada or Mexico???? How strange is that?

they don't know what they're talking about :P Toyota would NEVER let that happen. And besides Toyota only makes some Tacomas in Mexico.

roXor_boXor 08-02-2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by toronado
It's the Central Motors plant in Japan right? Is that the same plant that the xB1 was made in? Does anyone think that the quality control is down from the 1st gen? Did the first gen have all these rattles in the dash and A-pillars and stuff?

According to this page, yes, Central Motors for the current xB.
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/about_toy...ing/index.html

The ist is shown as being built in the Takaoka Plant. I assume that is where the xD is built as well. I have read that the Takaoka Plant is where the gen1 xB/bB was built. Not sure though.

And no I do not think the quality is down.
I have to ask, do you have a gen 2 with rattles and stuff? I was just wondering about the "all the rattles in the dash and A-pillars and stuff" comment. I have seen about 4 people complain about this on this forum. I don't have any except my golf clubs in the back. I have seen many others say they have none either.

IMO, Basically if one person posts that the headliner fell out of their car onto the street, we'll have 80 posts in a thread and it will become "all the xB's headliners are falling out". :P

OldYeller 08-02-2007 12:02 PM

When the xB1 got to this country it was an established car in Japan. The xB2 is completely new--maybe they need to get some of the bugs out.........I believe at this point most of the cars/trucks made for the USA come from the USA now, but not any Scions.

Ricetoaster 08-02-2007 12:55 PM

They're is a reason that people say to never buy a new edition first year model. If you take the chance, there is a possibility of some problems... I took the chance, and still no problems.

ScionFred 08-02-2007 01:28 PM

Quality must be down on the XB2. Whenever I hit a bump, the loose coins in my dash rattle and I heard that the plastic splash pan on the front has a tendency to fall off when you ram curbs with it. Wussup wit'dat Scion?

Govt_Man 08-02-2007 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ScionFred
the plastic splash pan on the front has a tendency to fall off when you ram curbs with it. Wussup wit'dat Scion?

I'm not sure they intended for people to ram curbs with a brand new car. Maybe I just have a twisted view of what cars are for... I personally feel the need to ram curbs. Not that I'm a curb hugger, I just don't have anything against curbs.

bBlover 08-02-2007 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ricetoaster
They're is a reason that people say to never buy a new edition first year model. If you take the chance, there is a possibility of some problems... I took the chance, and still no problems.

^ that's what I'm doing. And I can't afford one right now.

bB2NER 08-02-2007 08:44 PM

Quality must be down on the XB2. Whenever I hit a bump, the loose coins in my dash rattle and I heard that the plastic splash pan on the front has a tendency to fall off when you ram curbs with it. Wussup wit'dat Scion?

Gotta love the "park by sound" method! :rofl:

roXor_boXor 08-03-2007 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by bB2NER

Gotta love the "park by sound" method! :rofl:

:rofl:

toronado 08-03-2007 03:12 AM

I certainly think the splash pan complaint is bogus. I'm just wondering... in comparison to gen1, are there more body integrity issues? And if so, could that be linked in any way to the move of production from Takoaka to Central?

jsa3mm 08-03-2007 03:20 AM

It may be built in Japan, but it won't have any JDM parts. If you see stuff on eBay for JDM parts for an 08 and up xB it is bull. Not possible to have JDM parts.

bB2NER 08-03-2007 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by jsa3mm
It may be built in Japan, but it won't have any JDM parts. If you see stuff on eBay for JDM parts for an 08 and up xB it is bull. Not possible to have JDM parts.

That should be interesting to see how much JDM stuff surfaces. JDM must be one of the most abused terms in the history of cars. :doh: :rofl:

jsa3mm 08-03-2007 12:53 PM

It was just a heads-up. Some people don't know.

rdclark 08-03-2007 05:04 PM

The confusion must come from the fact that the new xB was designed and is built exclusively for the US market. Since other Toyotas are (or are scheduled to be) built in North America, this leads some people to jump to the conclusion that the xB is as well.

matt311 08-03-2007 08:10 PM

im sure everyone knows this but.. if anyone is in douibt just show them your VIN# the first 2 letters in your Vin are "JT" which means Japan, Toyota. its a no brainer.. but some peeps might not know that.

toronado 08-03-2007 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by matt311
im sure everyone knows this but.. if anyone is in douibt just show them your VIN# the first 2 letters in your Vin are "JT" which means Japan, Toyota. its a no brainer.. but some peeps might not know that.

Anyway to tell from the VIN if it's an auto or manual trans?