Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Whining sound on my xB 2012 109k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:02 PM

Default Whining sound on my xB 2012 109k miles

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and new to scion cars too. I bought my scion 2012 xB on November last year from Toyota dealer and it has 109k miles on it. So far everything is good but there are two things that make me annoyed
1. The car is not gas efficient. I have to fill up my tank at around 230 miles.
2. There is a whining sound when i accelerate my car. It sounds like supercharge, not to loud but annoying to me. I look through the posts here but can not find out whats wrong with it. I will attack the record of the sound below
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-K...ljbjhmYjA/view

Please let me know if you have the same sound as mine
Thank you
​​​​​ P/s : this guy has exactly the same whining sound as mine

Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your xB2 is automatic, this is the biggest reason behind it's lacking gas efficiency. 4 gears means a higher cruising RPM at highway speeds, more fuel consumption. If the xB2 had another gear or two, you'd see a big bump in efficiency. I know some 5 speed manual xB2 owners who complain of the same lack of efficiency.

Not sure if my car has the whining noise, maybe I just don't notice it anymore. If anything, I've heard this whining in a good handful of other makes and models of cars. I'd dismiss it as a normal sound at this point.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by jnaval
If your xB2 is automatic, this is the biggest reason behind it's lacking gas efficiency. 4 gears means a higher cruising RPM at highway speeds, more fuel consumption. If the xB2 had another gear or two, you'd see a big bump in efficiency. I know some 5 speed manual xB2 owners who complain of the same lack of efficiency.

Not sure if my car has the whining noise, maybe I just don't notice it anymore. If anything, I've heard this whining in a good handful of other makes and models of cars. I'd dismiss it as a normal sound at this point.
Thanks for your reply, so you mean the whining sound is normal for scion xB ?? I contacted the guy who posted the video on youtube (the video above) and he said there were nothing wrong with the car.However the noise is so annoying.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is how sounds mine, off ground in towers. In ground sounds almost exactly as the other video of the guy's tC. It is 2008 5spd manual.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:12 AM

Check your belts. They may be too tight?....or possibly the bearings in your AC compressor or power steering pump could be shot. Check the belts first though.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did the whining start around the same time your battery started dying?

My aunts Altima had a bad whining sound along with the battery dyiing, then a funky smell along with a dying battery. Then the battery was dead. Alternator took a dump

Not saying that's the problem, just an idea.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-31-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

could be an alternator trying to charge up a dying battery...use a voltmeter and check what voltage the car is oputting out while running

could be a belt tensioner going bad...at 109000 miles, I would replace both if for any other reason than for preventative maintenance....
Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

get use to the gas mileage...mine is a 2014 manual tranny and i drive 95% in town and I'm lucky to get 20 mpg....these cars are bricks aerodynamically with a BIG thirsty 4 cyclinder motor...
Old 05-18-2017, 12:35 AM

Default Whining noise

I'm currently having some extremely odd issues with my 2008 xB. For quite a while now. Whenever I'm accelerating from a stop I hear a whining noise that sounds like streaght cut gears. The noise only ranges from 0 to 25 and some times up to 45. (Basically the first gear.) After that there is no more, what seems to be transmission noises. But just today. I was at a complete stop and slowly went off the line with only about 25% throttle and the car felt like it had engaged the abs. But the vibration was only coming through the steering wheel and gas pedal. Originally my family and I thought it was a torque converter that was making this weird noise in the first gear but now after reading a Few forum's idk what to believe... keep in mind I live in AZ. Hot dry days every day all day.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-31-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately that does sound like a transmission clutch or bearing issue.
How does the fluid smell? Red & sweet = good. Brown & burnt = bad

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-31-2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
Unfortunately that does sound like a transmission clutch or bearing issue.
How does the fluid smell? Red & sweet = good. Brown & burnt = bad
I can't remember when the last time I changed the fluid. Being that it's an auto, the fluid doesn't have to be changed a whole lot but I do know that I have changed it twice and both times it was good.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-31-2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't have to change the fluid, just pull out the dipstick

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-31-2018 at 01:05 AM.