Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

XB 2011 - Post Piston Ring Replacement = BAD Gas Mileage?

Old 04-30-2016, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry XB 2011 - Post Piston Ring Replacement = BAD Gas Mileage?

Thoughts?

I went in for the oil consumption test, my car failed. I knew it would because of the oil I was going through. Toyota "fixed" it. Ever since, my gas mileage has dropped down to anywhere between 13mph - 17 mph! The Toyota expert drove my car 22 miles, more than half of the miles he drove were at a constant 53 miles per hour with cruise control on, the rest was more stop and go. He got 26.57 mpg. He said my car was in perfect operating order.

After meeting with him, I listened to his words of wisdom: keep car in 4th gear as much as possible (I have an automatic), keep tires inflated to 35 psi, lose all weight in car (no needless junk), leave windows rolled up, fill with 87octane at the slowest rate the pump will allow, don't accelerate too quickly. Even after paying so much attention to all of these things I am coming no where near what he got. Last two tanks were 17 mpg and 16 mpg.

At THIS point, Scion Customer Care says that since an expert looked at it, they can't do anything but buy the car back. I just know that since my car had the pistons and rings changed, it runs differently and my wallet is feeling it. I told the expert that I wish I'd never had the Pistons changed and would have just kept putting in some extra oil. I HATE THIS SO MUCH. I love(d) my car, everything about it. Now, I feel the only thing for me to do is sell it (after Toyota gave me an extra 10 year warranty too).

I was thinking of putting more air in the tires, replacing the air filter, maybe the plugs. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Does anyone know of ANYTHING I can do at this point? Has anyone gone through this as well? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have not gone through this, my understanding it's new pistons and rings for the 2AZ-FE oil consumption fix. I would expect your fuel economy is down until the new rings and pistons are broken in.
I don't think they re-hone the cylinder walls, so that should take guessing 1,000 miles? How many since the work was done?

My 2013 xB2 pigs out on gas during cold weather. I get an average 21-23MPG but during winter it drops to 16MPG. Best is 26MPG in hot summer.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, thanks for your post. What you said does make sense. I had the Pistons and rings replaced back in December 2015. The car was in the body shop for all of January due to a cabbie hitting my car when it was parked....yeah. So, I've been driving it since February. I am guessing (don't have the paperwork with me) I've driven it roughly 2000 miles or so since the parts were put in....maybe a little under.

Do you think I should check with the dealership on whether or not they honed the cylinder walls?

I can hang in there for a while if it is gonna get better, don't want to make the mistake of letting the car go if you think this is a possibility.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't notice any change in my mileage when I had the pistons and rings replaced, stayed a constant 22-23 MPG which is what I've been getting for years.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also had my 09 get the new rings and pistons and have seen no change in the gas mileage, must be something hooked up wrong or computer getting wrong info.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:26 PM

How are you guys seeing the oil consumption ? Is it from white smoke from exhaust or just having to add oil often?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionce

Originally Posted by Sinnerxb
How are you guys seeing the oil consumption ? Is it from white smoke from exhaust or just having to add oil often?
my car never smoked, but I had to get in the habit of checking my oil level every sunday morning. some weeks I wouldnt burn any oil and the level would be fine, some weeks i would burn a quart. there was no way to tell how much I'd burn, it was completely random. When I did the oil consumption test at the dealer, I went through 2 quarts in 1000 miles.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:54 AM

What is that 10 year warranty? Is it after the piston change repair or after the first drive date?

I got around 21mpg after the piston change and after 1000 miles it went up to 24mpg. I was getting around 23mpg before piston ring change but I also changed to 0w20 from 5w20 and I believe that has stronger effect on this change.