Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   xB's ground clearance. Too low for dirt roads and camping? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/xbs-ground-clearance-too-low-dirt-roads-camping-134528/)

sibmx 04-17-2008 10:44 PM

xB's ground clearance. Too low for dirt roads and camping?

I am shopping for a new car and I love xB, but it looks like it's got pretty low ground clearance 5.1 in. I love outdoors and spend a lot of time camping, snowboarding etc.
Would xB be too low for this kind of activities. Currently I drive Camry which sits about 6 in off the ground and I don't have any problems. The new xB is only 5.1 in and that scares me.

Dispatcher138 04-17-2008 10:46 PM

I cant imagine .9 of an inch making that much difference. But I have taken my xA off the road and its lowered 2 inches and never had problems.

sibmx 04-17-2008 10:50 PM

You lowered your xA to 4 inches and went off roading.....? WOW Hard to believe

Dispatcher138 04-17-2008 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by sibmx
You lowered your XA to 4 inches and went off roading.....? WOW Hard to believe

no no I mean ive taking it camping and had to drive on dirt roads and such

Daarken 04-18-2008 01:05 AM

i live in louisiana and i have been on several dirt roads, not a problem, why dont you test drive one, and find out.

gummyneo78 04-18-2008 03:17 AM

Just take a test drive out off roading

buickid 04-18-2008 04:12 AM

What kind of off roading do you do exactly? Theres fire trails, then theres I'm-staring-at-the-sky-gotta-stick-my-head-out-the-window-to-see off roading. :P

sibmx 04-18-2008 05:21 AM

Guys, I am not planninng any off roading just dirt roads....with rocks, gravel, holes and bumps......Roads that you usually see when you want to pitch your tent far away from everyone......
How does your xB does when going over high bumps and when you going up on the parking ramp?

liquidtrend 04-18-2008 05:28 AM

if you dont lower it then you have no problems.
i have a nice drop with my df210 springs, and i still dont experience many problems.

my g/f lives in the country and i tend to drive on dirt roads once in a while and even with my springs im a.o.k.

buickid 04-18-2008 05:49 AM

You'll be fine as long as theres no large stones in the road. If you see any excessively large stones in the path that seem questionably large, just stop and toss it off the road. It doesn't see like stopping would be a problem where you're going. :)

nameless_ak 04-18-2008 06:14 AM

I live in Alaska and trust me i see feet of snow and we have pot holes like you wouldn't believe. I have never had a problem, the only time i have ever bottomed out other then snow, is when i accidentally drove off a huge curb that i couldnt see because it was covered in snow. But unless your planning of actually go through mud pits or something you'll be fine.

IF YOUR CAMRY CAN DO IT THE xB CAN DO IT :)

ExplorHer 04-18-2008 01:36 PM

Just drive smart,

Kiiski 04-18-2008 02:52 PM

I live on a dirt road, a wide goat trail really, never once bottomed out or hit anything.
Keep it slow on cruddy roads and you should be fine,
within reason, of course.
Kiiski

my_cubicle_part2 04-18-2008 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ExplorHer
Just drive smart,

exactly!

-Devil- 04-18-2008 03:38 PM

hell my road is a dirt road .. my driveway is a mud pit ... with some pot holes that would swallow most cars ..

and i don't have an issue ...

didn't have one with my last little car either ... which was lowered almost 2" below stock ...

HypnoticTealMica 04-18-2008 05:29 PM

My driveway crosses a sloping curb entering the street. No issues slowly backing out but had a passenger once and it scraped a little. My concern is I may need to back through some snowly parking lot someday and that flimsy plastic oil filter cover will get torn off.
Anyone have any issues with snow packing up under that thing?
I think someone else here mentioned some method of increasing ground clearance for rough roads.

sibmx 04-19-2008 05:21 PM

Since I am planning to take my xB2 to the backroads of Colorado can somebody recommend me how to increase ground clearance by let's say 1 inch. Will bigger tires help? Will they rub?

-Devil- 04-20-2008 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by sibmx
Since I am planning to take my XB2 to the backroads of Colorado can somebody recommend me how to increase ground clearance by let's say 1 inch. Will bigger tires help? Will they rub?

get a machine shop to make one inch spacers for the front struts .. to go between the strut housing and the strut towers...

and then get some spacers made to go in with the rear springs...

then get an alignment

nameless_ak 04-20-2008 07:58 AM

then take pictures!

Daarken 04-20-2008 05:14 PM

you could always bag it.. ;)
You can raise it 2 inches higher then stock, then 2 inches lower for the cruise nights
:)