Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-suspension-handling-1795/)
-   -   Brake Pad help (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-suspension-handling-1795/brake-pad-help-220283/)

Kingshawty12 01-09-2013 12:47 AM

Brake Pad help

Time for me to change my brakes, I don't have any pad left, I had bad experiences with my oem brakes and would like some help on any oer brake pads. I was thinking EBC green pads, if anybody has any input I would greatly appreciate it. My oem pads have always made noise and had horrible brake dust.

AAG 01-16-2013 04:34 PM

Must be user error. I'm at 68k miles/5.5 years on my original oem brakes.

Kingshawty12 01-16-2013 04:59 PM

user error? It's just standard daily driving, I don't race or anything at all, fastest I go is 80 on the highway in rare occasions and just 35-55 inside street. I have been on stock wheels for 30000 miles of the 34k on my car,

xseveredveganx 01-16-2013 06:11 PM

Porterfield R4S. I love mine.

AAG 01-16-2013 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kingshawty12 (Post 4082277)
user error? It's just standard daily driving, I don't race or anything at all, fastest I go is 80 on the highway in rare occasions and just 35-55 inside street. I have been on stock wheels for 30000 miles of the 34k on my car,

There is nothing wrong with the oem brakes. It just sounds like you're on them too much if they're shot so soon.

Try to learn to engine brake and also sensing when lifting off the throttle will be sufficient to slow you.

Roller_Toaster 01-17-2013 02:50 AM

My akebono ceramics have been AMAZING. Better than oem stopping power, and virtually no dust.

flyingemu05 01-17-2013 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by AAG (Post 4082348)
There is nothing wrong with the oem brakes. It just sounds like you're on them too much if they're shot so soon.

Try to learn to engine brake and also sensing when lifting off the throttle will be sufficient to slow you.

i don't think he's complaining about them wearing too soon, he just said he had bad experiences with the OEM pads making noises and having too much brake dust.

xseveredveganx 01-17-2013 03:15 AM

A guy I work with went through his pads in ~50k miles. It could be entirely dependant on your driving habits, traffic, etc. Very subjective. Replace them with something nice. OEM pads dust SOOOOO much. My rear wheels get dirty as heck while my front stay super clean.

Ben180 03-27-2013 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by kingshawty12 (Post 4080516)
time for me to change my brakes, i don't have any pad left, i had bad experiences with my oem brakes and would like some help on any oer brake pads. I was thinking ebc green pads, if anybody has any input i would greatly appreciate it. My oem pads have always made noise and had horrible brake dust.

hawk brake pads are really good and last a long time
good luck

reaper_700 09-11-2013 03:34 PM

I cannot directly answer the OP's question as i am over 133k on my original front pads. No excessive dust or noise either, just rotors are a bit untrue. So I am just going to have them turned this month and see what my garage says about pads as he Guarantees the work etc.
All i know from back when I worked as an Auto Technician is I want built in shims :)

Kingshawty12 09-11-2013 04:50 PM

Old thread but toyota has updated the brake pads for this vehicle. I was told they were blue in color vs black by my toyota technician.

LophatXB 09-24-2013 12:06 AM

Who ever changed the brake pads on my xb before I owned it, put these terrible metallic carquest pads on it and the sound like they are grinding after they heat up. I pulled the pads and cleaned them once but it still sounds bad after they heat up. I wanna change to something better for now until I figure out how to go big brake kit without breaking the bank. I was considering using either dura last or pro stop but OEM quality pads, which would cost around 40 bucks.