Notices

Caliper Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Calipers shouldn't seize up. You're a fool for not taking it to the dealership at 34K miles because it would obviously be under warranty still if there's another issue going on. If it's just that one caliper and it's a piston that's sticking or something, then that definitely would have been replaced under warranty. I would work on solving the problem to as why it is happening at all. Not sure your mileage now, but if you are within warranty, I'd take it to the dealer.
Severed - First post in this thread. Fourth sentence. I say is clearly. Not in a "round about way". Of all people, I'm surprised to see you be this way with me [?]
Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please stop jacking this thread and posting about how you feel victimized after someone took offense with your language. If you have something constructive to add about the caliper replacement or upgrade, I'd be very happy to hear it. But please keep it on topic or keep away.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Severed - First post in this thread. Fourth sentence. I say is clearly. Not in a "round about way". Of all people, I'm surprised to see you be this way with me [?]
I'm sure I could have noticed, but I've many other things going on in my life besides thoroughly reading every post everyone has posted. I also agree with your prior assessment. Similar situation would be O^2 sensors going out every time you replace them. There's almost always something further up the chain to foul the sensor.
Originally Posted by STCxB
Please stop jacking this thread and posting about how you feel victimized after someone took offense with your language. If you have something constructive to add about the caliper replacement or upgrade, I'd be very happy to hear it. But please keep it on topic or keep away.
Unfortunately I haven't personally experienced any faulty calipers, so I couldn't accurately provide any real sound advice. I still think someone should try the tC2 front brakes. If I felt that they would be advantageous, I'd pull the trigger.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back to the point, I have also been researching caliper options. So far the best choice looks like tC2/RAV4 V6 calipers and rotors for the front, though it's not a huge upgrade.
I've come close to pulling the trigger a couple times now and I just haven't been able to convince myself to commit.

Still hoping I can find a better upgrade out there...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-18-2018 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-14-2014, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
I still think someone should try the tC2 front brakes. If I felt that they would be advantageous, I'd pull the trigger.
Done. They work (no fabrication necessary), and although it's not a major upgrade, there is a noticeable difference. More info:

https://sites.google.com/site/paulsx...2-front-brakes
Old 11-14-2014, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any word on rears? And post some pictures!
Old 11-14-2014, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any word on rears? And post some pictures!
The picture on the site is a before and after on my own xB. No leads on the rears yet, but I'm still looking for options.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So looks like you gained a touch under an inch in rotor diameter. Not too bad.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So looks like you gained a touch under an inch in rotor diameter. Not too bad.
Yep but the rotor is also thicker and calipers and pads are larger.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go to brake perforamance .com get you a set of new rotors n brakes. they got calipers too. no need to go crazy just change the parts or take it to a dealer/shop that you feel could diagonse the issue. worst comes to worst. by new ____ n install and problem solved!
Old 11-16-2014, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

k1114, thanks for your input on this thread. i think i may have just found my next mod.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I'm glad someone pulled the trigger on it! The calipers also weigh a bit more.

Also, nice write up on the IS steering wheel swap! I'm betting that the tC2 steering wheel will fit!
Old 11-28-2014, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by k1114
Done. They work (no fabrication necessary), and although it's not a major upgrade, there is a noticeable difference. More info:

https://sites.google.com/site/paulsx...2-front-brakes
Nice work I wish I could have done that upgrade, I put R1 concepts cross drilled rotors on. They actually stop on a dime, but having a bigger looking rotor behind a 18 inch wheels looks much better.
I would have just got the same cross drilled tC2 rotors from R1 and it would be a nice set up.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-18-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-02-2015, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member

I have a set of tC2/RAV4 calipers and rotors on the front of my 08 xB.
They clear my stock 16's. Didn't look into the rears cause they still looked very usable.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-21-2018 at 02:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-18-2018, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just did the tC2 swap on my xB2, I bought my wife a 2017 iM and I noticed how much better the brakes were on it. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it used the same brakes as the tC2 which is what made me do the swap.

I used Raybestos remanufactured calipers/brackets painted in silver caliper paint along with coated AC Delco rotors and Centric posi quiet ceramic pads.

Attached pics are before/after/with 18 inch rim on
Attached Thumbnails Caliper Upgrades?-20180311_185118.jpg   Caliper Upgrades?-20180311_185128.jpg   Caliper Upgrades?-20180314_213556.jpg  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Looks good!!! / Nice & clean

Read the thread & not sure where the real benefit is to swapping over to the tC calipers.

Properly working xB calipers combined w/a good pad & rotor (Stop Tech Performance & Centric rotors) will offer an increased level of performance that should suffice for a DD xB

I have a track day ready car in the garage, so I have some understanding of hard braking & the required components

Great to know that the tC calipers are a direct bolt-on & they work!

Little more surface area and mass for heat dissipation, slightly larger pad for more swept area, and they fill the wheel some more.

But yeah you are right in that they don't offer a tremendous improvement over good quality upgraded stock sized system. I went with upgraded pads and rotors when I did my swap so I still gained those slight improvements over even upgraded stock size ones. I'll take every little bit I can get since I drive rather aggressively. Really all it did was compensate for the weight of the 20" wheels I run and looks a bit better behind them.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It wasn't a huge gain but it was noticeable, it feels almost identical to my iM now since they are the same brakes after all. They also look a hell of a lot better behind the 18's.

This was a super cheap upgrade for me, I got lucky and picked up the Caliper/brackets for a grand total of $60 off Amazon almost a year ago and was just waiting until my pads and rotors needed replacement so it was the perfect time to do the upgrade. Had I not been able to find them so cheap I probably would have not done the switch.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 4150
It wasn't a huge gain but it was noticeable, it feels almost identical to my iM now since they are the same brakes after all. They also look a hell of a lot better behind the 18's.

This was a super cheap upgrade for me, I got lucky and picked up the Caliper/brackets for a grand total of $60 off Amazon almost a year ago and was just waiting until my pads and rotors needed replacement so it was the perfect time to do the upgrade. Had I not been able to find them so cheap I probably would have not done the switch.
Yeah, that's the best part is the cost to do the swap. If I remember correctly I paid $90 for brand new stock calipers and pads that were take offs from someone who had but a big brake kit on.