Notices

HELP! Brake, ABS, VSC, Trac Lights are on! Kinda of long so sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, no CEL. Everything but that! Drove it again tonight and no lights, yet.

How do I remove the speed sensor connector exactly? I could not figure it out and did not want to break anything. It would not pry off, and could not find any clips to pop off. But it also was very very cold so I had little patients!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 08Whitey
Hello there! I need some help with my 08 XB. Long story short I bought this car a year ago and this is the first problem I've had with the car. Back in mid December 2010 my gauge lights came on for the brake, vsc, traction control, and abs. I didn't throw a cel but all my gauge lights would shut off over a short period of time. When the lights are on everything is disabled. I called Elmhurst Scion by me to see if this is a common issue in cold temps or snow cause I live in the Chicagoland area. I was told no but if the lights come back on to bring it in. Well recently they did come back on and I took it in. I was told that my right rear wheel bearing was bad and both rear brake wire harness had to be replaced due to corrosion build up.

Now here is he interesting part. Since I bought the car I've been installed some cosmetic stuff to my XB (ex. spoiler, door sills, etc.) When I had the car in to have the door sills installed back in November 2010 I asked them to inspect the car cause the warranty was up in December. So to find out that there was these issues I was not too pleased. They wanted $851.00 to fix everything, and they won't do it under warranty even though I asked for everything to be inspected a few weeks earlier when the car was covered. After talking to the service manager/director at the services department they said they won't help me out with the cost due to the fact the warranty just expired, I am the second owner, and the car wasn't bought there original. I called out bull____ on them due to the fact the car didn't even have 28k on it, that I asked for them to inspect the car before the warranty expired, and I guess there is a difference if you bring a car to them to install something rather than repair. Either way I was spending my money for a service from them.

So after a few phone calls to the dealer and Toyota/Scion Headquarters of America I was told there isn't anything they could do to help, no goodwill towards parts or service knowing that their products warranty just expired and I am having problems with this car. That maybe in the future they will address these issues but just not at this time. So I am left paying for the repairs.

So I was wondering if anyone here has had a problem with corrosion build up and a bad bearings on their XB's? Also I am not convinced the bearing is bad cause there isn't any odd noises or rubbing coming from the car while in motion that would give you the signs of a bad wheel bearing. I just feel that a car that is 3 years old, with 28k on it should be having issues with corrosion already and be bearings. Even with extreme conditions parts should be able to handle the elements better. Now the previous owner and I have babied this car, its garage kept and like I said before, this is the first issue I have had. Could be the last, but I hope some of the members could help me with this. Thoughts and Thank you!
What was the outcome?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Default Now me too

Funny this topic should be near the top, as just today my 2008 xB with 48,700 miles on it, started displaying the brake, traction, abs, and flashing VSC. After speaking with the dealer, they told me that I should bring it in, but they didn't have a spot until mid next week. They told me that the ABS would not be functioning and to drive with that in mind.

As for all I've read, I'll be interested in hearing what they say. I DO have an extended warranty, so I bet they'll take the easiest, cheapest and most inexpensive way out.

After 3+ years of ownership, this is truly the first issue I've had with this car. I hope the fix it and that it's not a sign of more issues to start popping up.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:14 PM
SL Member

Here is my thread with the cause and solution
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198775

Could a mod please merge the threads together?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:32 AM

I'm working my way through the same problem now, 3 days ago I replaced the right rear hub assembly, the light stayed off the entire day, next morning the light came on and stayed on all day (my scion is a Chicago cab, 1 day=200+miles) this morning it was on and off, I just finished cleaning the contacts and I packed a little grease in the contacts in hope of keeping any future moisture out. Anyway I've been reading up on this problem and it seems everyone replaces the right rear hub, no one has talked about replaceing the left one or a front sensor, then it seems everyone replaces the right rear wiring harness and the problem goes away, hhmmmm I think the first step should be to clean or replace the wiring harness then the hub if needed.
Now when it comes to getting the parts, I paid over $300 for the hub then I found it on ebay for about $120 with a life time warranty, by the way if you look for this item in the aftermarket brands be sure to mention that it's the one with 5 lugs, the first one they sent me had 4 and when I called and told them they sent the wrong 1 the told me that that's the part for my car, one of their guys came to the garage and double check.
Tomorrow is another day and another 200 miles, I'll let you all know how my work turned out.

Last edited by Topcabdriver; 02-13-2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Left out some info
Old 02-13-2011, 03:37 AM

The part store took the wrong part back and the correct part came from the dealer. P.S. Going to the dealer is like asking to get soaked, there is nothing wrong with aftermarket parts, just don't buy the cheap stuff.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM

Topcabdriver that is funny you're having the same problem cause I live in the same area and I was in the city and wanted to go up to the cabbies in the XB's and ask if they've had the same problem. Now did you clear the code that the wheel bearing was throwing? It's different then a ECU code, you can't go to an Autozone to get it cleared cause they don't have the equipment for it and doesn't show anything is wrong on their ECU reader. I was told by my buddy in the parts department at Toyota that our cars are throwing a code that has to be cleared manually by them. I asked him this due to the fact that I cleaned both my wire harness but didn't replace the hub and was still throwing a code. I thought it was the salt and moisture of the winter causing the lights to go on cause my hub isn't showing the signs that would go along with having a bad wheel bearing, and I was going with the easy fix first. It will be interesting to see how your issue turns out. I tried ordering a bearing off ebay but they only offer the 4 lug and don't have the 5 lug one yet. Also it seems that our 5 lug wheel bearing isn't offered at any auto parts store yet. So who did you order from? Also I noticed my lights aren't going on as often. What once was the lights being on all the time for a week or so is now limited to once in a while, I could go a week with everything working fine, then I'll be cruising at 60 and have the lights go on. Normally I could feel when lights are about to come on cause you could feel in the brake a rapid pulse, and its not like the abs is kicking in either. I don't know if it's a safety issue, but strongly urge everyone with the same problem to file a compliant with the NHTSA/Office of Defects Investigation
Old 02-13-2011, 09:59 PM

Default More info on abs light

I didn't clear the code and yes I am aware for the fact that it's not the same as the ECM codes and I did the autozone route as well. I've read in here that by disconnecting the battery for 15+ minutes it would clear the code, also I read that the abs, anti slip, vsc automatically recaliburate and reset. Anyway I did the work yesterday and when I left the garage the light was on and stayed on for about a block then it turned of and so far today I haven't seen it, as for the parts autozone claimed to be able to order it but the one I found on ebay said it was the one with the 5 lugs, as for the one I got they had to go to a dealer to get. This thread helped me a great deal with my problem so I will keep posting as things develop on my end and I hope my ifo can help someone else.
Topcabdriver that is funny you're having the same problem cause I live in the same area and I was in the city and wanted to go up to the cabbies in the XB's and ask if they've had the same problem. Now did you clear the code that the wheel bearing was throwing? It's different then a ECU code, you can't go to an Autozone to get it cleared cause they don't have the equipment for it and doesn't show anything is wrong on their ECU reader. I was told by my buddy in the parts department at Toyota that our cars are throwing a code that has to be cleared manually by them. I asked him this due to the fact that I cleaned both my wire harness but didn't replace the hub and was still throwing a code. I thought it was the salt and moisture of the winter causing the lights to go on cause my hub isn't showing the signs that would go along with having a bad wheel bearing, and I was going with the easy fix first. It will be interesting to see how your issue turns out. I tried ordering a bearing off ebay but they only offer the 4 lug and don't have the 5 lug one yet. Also it seems that our 5 lug wheel bearing isn't offered at any auto parts store yet. So who did you order from? Also I noticed my lights aren't going on as often. What once was the lights being on all the time for a week or so is now limited to once in a while, I could go a week with everything working fine, then I'll be cruising at 60 and have the lights go on. Normally I could feel when lights are about to come on cause you could feel in the brake a rapid pulse, and its not like the abs is kicking in either. I don't know if it's a safety issue, but strongly urge everyone with the same problem to file a compliant with the NHTSA/Office of Defects Investigation
Old 02-15-2011, 07:11 PM

Not getting my hopes up but day 2 and no light.
My first attempt at cleaning the connections wasn't good enough and didn't last for long, soooo back to the garage. Step 1 disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected while I'm working on the problem, this way the codes would hopefully clear. Step 2 remove plugs from both rear sensors, spray with WD 40, take a small paper clip and run one end into the connections in hope of clearing some corrosion, blast them of with compresed air, repeat the process, then pack dielectric greace into the connector and the opening og the sensor, plug the wire back into the sensor, be careful the grease is going to make it difficult for the plug to go all the way in and if it doesn't lock it will come of while driving, simply apply pressure until it lock in place, check it by pulling on it. Do this to both sides, reconnect the battery, take the car for a short run and all lights should be off.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 PM

It is unsafe to drive the car when the ABS and VSC and Brake lights are on. It means the safety features of the car have been disabled. I had a serious accident recently in which my brakes malfunctioned. Afterwards, I was informed by my mechanic who read the computer codes (C0210 and C0215) that the ABS and VSC were not working at the time of the accident. In my case the mechanic replaced a faulty speed sensor and speed sensor connector on the Right Rear wheel to resolve the issue.

Interestingly, Toyota has not done a recall for this SERIOUS SAFETY DEFECT on the Scion xB but they have recalled Tundras and Scion xD for the same issue? For xB they say it is covered under the 36 month or 36K miles warranty. From what I have read here and on the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration forums people have said they are having this problem at 40K miles and above. My car has 57K. The technical bulletin on this issue was published July 2009 which means Toyota had two years but did not act to help Scion owners like me to avoid this accident. I suggest you take the car to Toyota and have them diagnose the problem and then get ready to pay.

Hello there! I need some help with my 08 XB. Long story short I bought this car a year ago and this is the first problem I've had with the car. Back in mid December 2010 my gauge lights came on for the brake, vsc, traction control, and abs. I didn't throw a cel but all my gauge lights would shut off over a short period of time. When the lights are on everything is disabled. I called Elmhurst Scion by me to see if this is a common issue in cold temps or snow cause I live in the Chicagoland area. I was told no but if the lights come back on to bring it in. Well recently they did come back on and I took it in. I was told that my right rear wheel bearing was bad and both rear brake wire harness had to be replaced due to corrosion build up.

Now here is he interesting part. Since I bought the car I've been installed some cosmetic stuff to my XB (ex. spoiler, door sills, etc.) When I had the car in to have the door sills installed back in November 2010 I asked them to inspect the car cause the warranty was up in December. So to find out that there was these issues I was not too pleased. They wanted $851.00 to fix everything, and they won't do it under warranty even though I asked for everything to be inspected a few weeks earlier when the car was covered. After talking to the service manager/director at the services department they said they won't help me out with the cost due to the fact the warranty just expired, I am the second owner, and the car wasn't bought there original. I called out bull____ on them due to the fact the car didn't even have 28k on it, that I asked for them to inspect the car before the warranty expired, and I guess there is a difference if you bring a car to them to install something rather than repair. Either way I was spending my money for a service from them.

So after a few phone calls to the dealer and Toyota/Scion Headquarters of America I was told there isn't anything they could do to help, no goodwill towards parts or service knowing that their products warranty just expired and I am having problems with this car. That maybe in the future they will address these issues but just not at this time. So I am left paying for the repairs.

So I was wondering if anyone here has had a problem with corrosion build up and a bad bearings on their XB's? Also I am not convinced the bearing is bad cause there isn't any odd noises or rubbing coming from the car while in motion that would give you the signs of a bad wheel bearing. I just feel that a car that is 3 years old, with 28k on it should be having issues with corrosion already and be bearings. Even with extreme conditions parts should be able to handle the elements better. Now the previous owner and I have babied this car, its garage kept and like I said before, this is the first issue I have had. Could be the last, but I hope some of the members could help me with this. Thoughts and Thank you!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:03 PM

It is unsafe to drive the car when the ABS and VSC and Brake lights are on. It means the safety features of the car have been disabled. I had a serious accident recently in which my brakes malfunctioned. Afterwards, I was informed by my mechanic who read the computer codes (C0210 and C0215) that the ABS and VSC were not working at the time of the accident. In my case the mechanic replaced a faulty speed sensor and speed sensor connector on the Right Rear wheel to resolve the issue.

Interestingly, Toyota has not done a recall for this SERIOUS SAFETY DEFECT on the Scion xB but they have recalled Tundras and Scion xD for the same issue? For xB they say it is covered under the 36 month or 36K miles warranty. From what I have read here and on the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration forums people have said they are having this problem at 40K miles and above. My car has 57K. The technical bulletin on this issue was published July 2009 which means Toyota had two years but did not act to help Scion owners like me to avoid this accident. I suggest you take the car to Toyota and have them diagnose the problem and then get ready to pay. I also urge you to go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Interestingly, Toyota has not done a recall for this SERIOUS SAFETY DEFECT on the Scion xB but they have recalled Tundras and Scion xD for the same issue? For xB they say it is covered under the 36 month or 36K miles warranty. From what I have read here and on the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration forums people have said they are having this problem at 40K miles and above. My car has 57K. The technical bulletin on this issue was published July 2009 which means Toyota had two years but did not act to help Scion owners like me to avoid this accident. I suggest you take the car to Toyota and have them diagnose the problem and then get ready to pay.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Hey Johnnyo I totally agree it's not safe to have our cars safety features disabling themselves, Toyota should step up and replace the defective parts, but they won't until enough people complain. I also have a 2003 Hyundai and just received a recall about some of the suspensions part prematurely corroding in salt bedded areas like the Midwest during the winter. They are starting to take action but not after so many years. Many owners probably already replaced these parts. So I feel Scion/Toyota won't act for sometime, or until enough pressure is put on them.

...On a side note, my issues on my car have stopped, I didn't replace any parts and I won't till the the gauge lights stay on longer then a few days. It's been over a month and my car is running normal. I don't know why it just stopped but I am happy cause it's saving me $900 right now if I have the dealer fix the issue. I guess in time I will see if this becomes an issue for me again. It is on record and I did report it to the NHTSA.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to say, If you have them replace the harness...and the problem goes away, it will be PROVEN that it was a factory defect, and should be refunded.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:50 AM

Default I fixed mine

After I cleaned and put some dielectric grease on the connection on my car the problem went away and stayed away.
Johnnyo, if the dealer replaced your speed sensor and harness of course the problem was solved, I'm willing to bet they replaced the speed sensor first, the problem was still there then they said "o you need the harness as well" they don't make money fixing a problem, they make money selling parts and labor, "be ready to pay" is correct especially if you think the only way to fix your car is at the dealer. Yes this is a Toyota problem but all it is is a little moisture on a connector causing it to corrode.
Let's all get together and file suit against Toyota for allowing us to buy a new car for around 16k and it has some minor flaws, and quite honestly I wish I could buy a car with out the "brakes for dummies" otherwise known as abs.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had this problem before as I mentioned. It came on again and I took it to the dealer. The dealer said I had to replace the harness ($850) because it's my fault that it doesn't work correctly. What did they blame it on? My HIDs!!! I played it cool and said I will be back. Came back with my mom and I told the manager that she was my lawyer and that they are making me drive an Unsafe car that will malfunction if I need to slam on my brakes. My mom pretending to be my lawyer began throwing out laws that I didn't even know were there and threaten to sue the dealer personally. The manager called someone and that someone else called someone else. A big show began in the service department. Now.... New harness, new spoiler, new alarm with remote start, a free synthetic oil change along with another one in the future... I win!
Old 05-07-2011, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car is having this same issue, I pulled both connectors and found a pin broken off on the rear driversside. Is there a way to pull the sensor from the hub, and can you get the pin out of the plug do you think? Would rather not replace the wiring harness as well as the sensor if I don't have to, obviously.

Anyone?
Old 08-09-2018, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you know how to get to the other connector on the speed sensor wiring harness?

This is on a xB 2Gen, I see the one behind the rotor but the other end goes into the frame somewhere.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-09-2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 10-09-2018, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All those light lite up on my xB 12 years ago. I couldn’t figure it out. Took it to Toyota and they showed me. They removed my rear 18” x8” wheel and showed my sensor cable was cut in two. The wheel severed it. They asked if I want them to replace it. I said no.
Went home and soldered and sleeved the cable back together. Turned car on and lights remained on. Next day as I accelerated on the freeway they all turned off!
FIXED IT!
I had to by some wheel spacers so it doesn’t happen again.