Notices

Hit curb, now noise at 68 MPH

Old 04-20-2010, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hit curb, now noise at 68 MPH

Hey Guys,

My GF hit a curb exiting the freeway. She swears she wasn't going to fast because she had stopped at the light but then hit the curb in the median making a left turn. So the driver side was affected and I see some scratches at the bottom of my front bumper. Doesn't seem to have a lot of damage underneath other than a few scrapes. But it was enough to toss the coins out of the pocket in the dash.

So nothing really seems wrong with the car, it doesn't pull in either direction. But then when I go around 68 MPH there is this humming noise and if you go much higher or lower it's gone. I was thinking maybe the tire is damaged but I can't see anything wrong with it just yet. Thinking of rotating the tire to see if the noise moves along with it.

I read it might be wheel bearing or worse yet axle. Any idea what these repairs cost and is it likely since the noise is only at a certain speed?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

She could have bent something, or at the very least thrown it out of alignment. I would take it in for an alignment, and have the shop inspect the suspension and steering components while it's there.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you feel anything in the steering wheel? Does the noise change pitch if you swerve side to side? Could be anything.. a bent axle will cost you less than a bad bearing.. toyota's bearings are expensive.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe its your flux capacitor charging up, preparing for time travel? With newer, more modern technology, you don't have to be going as fast as they did in Back To The Future (88MPH). Just kidding.
I'm guessing bad alignment or bad bearing, as said above. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It could be a bent rim. Do you have steelies? Ive bent 2 rims on curbs with the steelies lol. That would cause a hum.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Malibu_Rapper View Post
So nothing really seems wrong with the car, it doesn't pull in either direction. But then when I go around 68 MPH there is this humming noise and if you go much higher or lower it's gone.
As already asked, is there any vibration in the steering wheel at that speed? If so, then it's probably an out-of-true rim.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No vibrations at all. All I get is a hum around 68 and it goes away if i go past 72 or under 65. I have Enkei wheels. I just had the car aligned the week before it happened and I don't get any pulling, should I get it checked again just to be safe?

When I get some time I will swap the wheels around and that will give me a better idea.

Thanks guys...
Old 04-22-2010, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can't feel it in the steering wheel, then it sounds very much like the bearing could be damaged. If you rotate out that wheel and the behavior doesn't change, you need to have it looked at.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm thinking that the bumper has been knocked loose and at the right speed it starts vibrating causing a harmonic noise in the cabin. Just a theory, since vibration through the steering and suspension has been nearly ruled out. I had a buzzing noise in my hatch cover at 64 mph AFTER the dealer installed the rear wing. I thought it was the wing itself, but it turned out to be a faulty rear hatch glass install. The wing was causing a new harmonic that made the glass resonate and buzz. The bumper on his car could be doing the same thing now that it was contacted and could be slightly loose. Worth checking at least.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Took it to the alignment shop last week and the guy knew that I had hit something. What was strange though is the damage he found was on the front right instead of the front left where the curb was hit. He said it was the outer tie rod because there's too much play. Without replacing the outer tie rod, he re-aligned the car. I noticed my steering wheel wasn't straight when the car was going straight before but now it's OK.

Still getting that humming noise in the front left so I'm really suspecting a tire problem. Haven't had time to swap tires yet. I'll go in for a free tire rotation to keep my hands from getting dirty. Good info on the harmonic noise Tealtoaster, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I had the tires inspected and rotated. Nothing weird on the inspection, no bumps or bent wheel. Moved the tire from front to rear and the noise still stays at the front left. So at this point, it's probably going to be wheel bearing or axle right?

The thing that really gets me is the noise goes away if you exceed or drive below 68 MPH by a few MPH. Wouldn't that rule out the bearing? Bumper seems tight BTW...

Any ideas?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If there are no strange sounds when making slow hard turns to left and right in a parking lot, then I really doubt the axle is damaged. My guess remains the bearing (you can always take it to a decent mechanic and get his opinion). If there's excess play in a tie rod end, it needs to be replaced -- don't put it off because it'll accelerate the wear in both front tires.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a bad bearing....... I had this problem 5 months ago xb2 are notorious for having this problem
Old 05-20-2010, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scion619 View Post
It's a bad bearing....... I had this problem 5 months ago xb2 are notorious for having this problem
Well, to be fair, whacking the wheel against a curb isn't exactly normal wear and tear !