Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Keep your Spare tire and have your air installed in your trunk

Ok guys .. we have been reading in other topic about installing air and keeping the spare tire.

Forjworks has designed a way to have both worlds..

http://www.forjworks.com/200810-Gen2...d-Kit-P72.aspx

The Mafia Series Trunk Lid has a dual purpose; it looks great and is very functional. Made from 1/8” thick aluminum plate, the trunk lid is very strong and is a direct replacement of the stock foam trunk platform. It lays flat just like the OEM platform. It swivels up and down with the supplied super-strong piano hinge and is mounted to a billet aluminum custom designed bracket.

The aluminum trunk lid comes unpainted so you can finish it any way you want. Paint, powder coat, leather or vinyl wrap, however you want to customize it.

The uses are endless with this trunk lid. As you can see in the pictures we used it to mount an entire air ride suspension system to the underside of the lid. We drilled and bolted flat head screws right through the lid. It holds everything together, no problem. Open the lid to service the system or display it at the car shows. Close the lid to hide everything for everyday use. Notice will still have full use of the spare tire.

The trunk lid is also useful to mount all your audio electronic equipment. The supplied mounting bracket features two holes that are made to mount two standard computer fans. The fans pull in fresh cold air into the underside of the lid to cool off any electronic equipment. Very functional.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, I bet that was a pain in the ___ to mount that tank. Excellent job, are these laser cut or are you cutting /drilling by hand? Just curious. Also, does the compressor overheat in there? Pretty close quarters for something like that without fans.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Looks great. I also am wondering about the compressor. Viair says not to mount them upside down.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks nice and is reasonably priced for what you get with it. I wouldn't worry too much about the compressor being upside-down. Viair's only concern is heat dissipation and with the fans add on it should keep everything cooled down properly.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just saw the price, pretty steep and once you add shipping thats a ton of cheese.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

compressor rarely comes on, if it does its for a few minutes. Unless you running the air supply to zero that compressor shouldnt over heat. Not this install but all the other installs including my car the comperssors been mounted upside down for over 3 years and still working and its mounted under the car..
Old 08-02-2010, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pOrk
Just saw the price, pretty steep and once you add shipping thats a ton of cheese.

Actually the price isn't too bad for a production piece. A sheet of 1/8" aluminium that large would run about $100, I know I used a similar size sheet for my under car air ride mounting plate, plus the time and work cutting it, and the cost of the hinges and brackets. Shipping is the only pain due to the size of it.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Actually the price isn't too bad for a production piece. A sheet of 1/8" aluminium that large would run about $100, I know I used a similar size sheet for my under car air ride mounting plate, plus the time and work cutting it, and the cost of the hinges and brackets. Shipping is the only pain due to the size of it.
Oh no I'm talking about the shipping costs, I bet it costs almost as much as the piece to ship considering the size.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:15 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

let me see how much to ship..
Old 08-07-2010, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How does this unit attach to the car anyhow? You drill holes and use bolts on the back side where the hinge is I assume?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I run two Viair 380C's in the spare tire well and I have no issue with temperature. I went over board and added a 6061 plate on the bottom of the tire area cover to abate any excess heat, but it wasn't necessary...