Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/)
-   -   Motor Mounts (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/motor-mounts-236205/)

capgrover 06-21-2018 10:04 PM

Motor Mounts

I am getting ready to change all the mounts on my 09 xB, is there anything on this forum with some tips for doing this?

____

Greg S 06-25-2018 06:11 PM

Make sure you have a jack under the engine. You will most likely need to lift the engine up to put the new ones in. I had to raise mine almost an inch to get the driver's side one to line up. Other than that they are just tedious and the rear one is a bit of a pain to get to.

capgrover 06-26-2018 12:02 AM

I changed the passenger side and the front mounts over the weekend, The front one was very easy. They side one wasn't too bad but getting the nut from the bottom of it was a real pain. If it wasn't for that bottom nut, that one would have been real easy also. I have a third mount to change, some places have it listed as a engine mount but others call it the transmission mount. I have no idea where it even is at this point, never really had any reason to be that far under this low vehicle yet but I have a feeling this will be the difficult one.

Greg S 06-26-2018 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by capgrover (Post 4287410)
I changed the passenger side and the front mounts over the weekend, The front one was very easy. They side one wasn't too bad but getting the nut from the bottom of it was a real pain. If it wasn't for that bottom nut, that one would have been real easy also. I have a third mount to change, some places have it listed as a engine mount but others call it the transmission mount. I have no idea where it even is at this point, never really had any reason to be that far under this low vehicle yet but I have a feeling this will be the difficult one.

Take the air box out and you'll see it no problem. It's actually easier to get to from the top than the bottom. I've attached a picture of my engine bay so you can see where it is. It's just below the ECU on the shock tower.

capgrover 06-26-2018 07:31 PM

That would sure be a good thing. I'm not as young as I used to be and easier is better. Thanks for that bit of information, I probably would have never gotten around to that one if not for your tip.

capgrover 07-02-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Greg S (Post 4287422)
Take the air box out and you'll see it no problem. It's actually easier to get to from the top than the bottom. I've attached a picture of my engine bay so you can see where it is. It's just below the ECU on the shock tower.

Hey Greg, thanks for the help with the mount location under the air box, I took it off this morning just to get a feel for how hard it was going to be and found that it is not the same as the one I have. Everywhere I have looked online has shown the same 3, the 2 I have already changed and the one I still have but on a couple other places I see the one that is under the air cleaner. Do you know if there is a 4th mount somewhere that I am not seeing. I am going to go ahead and order the one that I don't have. There doesn't seem to be much info about this on the internet. I would appreciate if you have any more info on the subject.

Thanks

Greg S 07-02-2018 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by capgrover (Post 4287498)
Hey Greg, thanks for the help with the mount location under the air box, I took it off this morning just to get a feel for how hard it was going to be and found that it is not the same as the one I have. Everywhere I have looked online has shown the same 3, the 2 I have already changed and the one I still have but on a couple other places I see the one that is under the air cleaner. Do you know if there is a 4th mount somewhere that I am not seeing. I am going to go ahead and order the one that I don't have. There doesn't seem to be much info about this on the internet. I would appreciate if you have any more info on the subject.

Thanks

There is the one on the passenger side, the driver's side one that is under the air box, the front mount , and then is a rear mount on the back of the engine behind the transmission. It bolts to the sub frame on the driver's side. Here's a link of what it looks like. I'm betting this is the one you already have.

https://parts.germaintoyotaofnaples....RoChIwQAvD_BwE

capgrover 07-02-2018 07:41 PM

That's strange everywhere I look they sell the front the passenger and the one on the rear of the transmission but the one under the air cleaner is sold alone, not sure why the wounld't sell all 4 together. Thanks for getting back with me.

capgrover 07-09-2018 10:02 PM

Still haven't gotten to the other 2 mounts but do have them both now. My only problem is that after changing the front mount and the passenger hydraulic mount I have more of a vibration at idle than I did before changing them which is why I did it to begin with. I thought maybe the new rubber needed to get worn in and I drove about 700 miles over the weekend and it is still very annoying.I opened the hood and can see that it looks like it is in the passenger hydraulic mount is where the vibration is coming from, I can't figure out why. I will put up a video if I can figure out how. I don't think the mount is bad but not sure.

Greg S 07-10-2018 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by capgrover (Post 4287502)
That's strange everywhere I look they sell the front the passenger and the one on the rear of the transmission but the one under the air cleaner is sold alone, not sure why the wounld't sell all 4 together. Thanks for getting back with me.

You can find them together but that one mount is different depending if it's an auto or manual car so most places don't sell it all together to avoid sending the wrong one.

Originally Posted by capgrover (Post 4287593)
Still haven't gotten to the other 2 mounts but do have them both now. My only problem is that after changing the front mount and the passenger hydraulic mount I have more of a vibration at idle than I did before changing them which is why I did it to begin with. I thought maybe the new rubber needed to get worn in and I drove about 700 miles over the weekend and it is still very annoying.I opened the hood and can see that it looks like it is in the passenger hydraulic mount is where the vibration is coming from, I can't figure out why. I will put up a video if I can figure out how. I don't think the mount is bad but not sure.

The vibration might be because you haven't changed all the mounts yet and still have worn out rubber in the remaining one. I would get the other mounts swapped out first then see how it feels.

pdxgen2 07-17-2018 11:35 PM

another tip when changing mounts...install them loosely....then tighten them all on the motor side 1st ...then snug them all up on the car body side last....don't ask me how I know this....i got a new poly front motor mount...tightened the cross member side first, then the motor side...and got really annoying vibration...i loosened the mount on the frame side, it aligned itself properly, re-tightened it, vibration gone....

capgrover 07-18-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by pdxgen2 (Post 4287742)
another tip when changing mounts...install them loosely....then tighten them all on the motor side 1st ...then snug them all up on the car body side last....don't ask me how I know this....i got a new poly front motor mount...tightened the cross member side first, then the motor side...and got really annoying vibration...i loosened the mount on the frame side, it aligned itself properly, re-tightened it, vibration gone....

So you did this on an xB. So far I changed 3 of the 4, after doing the 3rd one the vibration got a little better. I think I can loosen the one by the radiator and the one under the air box and they will move but the hydraulic one on the passenger side I don't remember there being any play in it. I will try it out though. Did you resupport the engine or just loosen and let it move a little?

pdxgen2 07-18-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by capgrover (Post 4287747)
So you did this on an xB. So far I changed 3 of the 4, after doing the 3rd one the vibration got a little better. I think I can loosen the one by the radiator and the one under the air box and they will move but the hydraulic one on the passenger side I don't remember there being any play in it. I will try it out though. Did you resupport the engine or just loosen and let it move a little?

No support necessary...just loosen all the mounts on the non-motor side, rock the motor back and forth by hand a bit, then tighten up all the mounts again...this might help...and by loosen i mean maybe 1/2 to 1 full turn out from tight

Dannyboyxb 09-18-2018 09:08 PM

Thanks for all of the info I'm probably going to make the attempt soon. All the sets I see online seem to be the same Is there anything that I should look out for?

Greg S 09-19-2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dannyboyxb (Post 4291172)
Thanks for all of the info I'm probably going to make the attempt soon. All the sets I see online seem to be the same Is there anything that I should look out for?

If you are ordering a set and it has all four mounts make sure it has the correct one for your transmission, manual and automatic are different on that mount. I recommend ordering a factory set, might run a bit more but not much when you order from an online dealership.

Exelsiberon12 09-16-2019 03:20 AM

Transmission side motor mount

Originally Posted by Greg S (Post 4287422)

Hey what is that mount called the motor mount on the transmission side of the car

Dannyboyxb 09-16-2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Exelsiberon12 (Post 4295453)
Hey what is that mount called the motor mount on the transmission side of the car

The transmission mount?