Notices

Are my TRD shocks leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Default Are my TRD shocks leaking?

I'm suspecting rough treatment/mishandling at the service center. I have approx 1300 miles on these shocks.
Attached Thumbnails Are my TRD shocks leaking?-driverside.jpg   Are my TRD shocks leaking?-passengerside.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Doesn't look like it. Hard to judge by a crappy picture from the back of the car.

Pull the wheels off and check if there's any oil on the shock itself.
If there's oil on the shock, it's probably leaking. If there's none, then it's probably fine.

Pretty self explanatory.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 AM

I dropped the car off for warranty service.

What could cause that oil build up in the area I circled in the picture?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Maybe excess oil leftover from the factory?

I'm not sure.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 PM

I would think so too, however the rear suspension was taken apart multiple times by service techs at Toyota when they were trying to isolate the clanking noise from the rear suspension and the shocks seems like they were mishandled by the tech (judging by that long scratch on the passenger side shock).

The noise was finally resolved by adding rubber silencers because the passenger side coils seems to be touching more than the driver side (uneven springs?), but yes I will ask the techs to clean up the shocks and check again for oil in that area after a few hundred miles.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:59 AM

Yes, the dealer installed all the TRD parts, shocks, springs, strut bar, anti-roll bar, spoiler, intake just so I quality for the 3yr warranty, but at this rate I think I need to call up corporate and ask for a extension. These guys are not professional at all. They didn't even know how to pop open the cover to access the nut for the rear shocks, so they gung-ho it and ended up having to order me a new rear panel (which was a PIA to replace cause I had to remove the rear seats to replace it).

They may end up replacing the shocks entirely but everything is up in the air at this point because it's only been in the shop for 24hrs.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are not going to give you any extension bud. You get what you paid for. Call the dealer and tell them you want an extended warranty. You always have the option of going to another dealership too.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by torqueTc
They are not going to give you any extension bud. You get what you paid for. Call the dealer and tell them you want an extended warranty. You always have the option of going to another dealership too.
That's not true (the extension) and I can't go to another dealership because I already asked. Other dealerships consider these as aftermarket parts even though they are TRD parts installed by the dealer. I can only go back to the original place that installed the parts.

It doesn't make sense because parts are options on Scion's website and any Toyota service center should be able to service or replace them. I will need to talk to corporate about this issue.

The only other option is to have the dealer buy back the car and go to another dealership and have their (genuine Toyota professionals) techs install the TRD parts.

Techs that don't know how to pop open plastic covers shouldn't have been hired in the first place.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
That's not true (the extension) and I can't go to another dealership because I already asked. Other dealerships consider these as aftermarket parts even though they are TRD parts installed by the dealer. I can only go back to the original place that installed the parts.

It doesn't make sense because parts are options on Scion's website and any Toyota service center should be able to service or replace them. I will need to talk to corporate about this issue.

The only other option is to have the dealer buy back the car and go to another dealership and have their (genuine Toyota professionals) techs install the TRD parts.

Techs that don't know how to pop open plastic covers shouldn't have been hired in the first place.
You are completely wrong. The ONLY way thats happening is if there is a recall for something (ie: trans damage on a certain year, certain model vehicle, or known bad part issues), or something to that affect where its a national recall/extension.

If you have proof they were dealer purchased and dealer installed, you can go TO ANY DEALERSHIP and have them covered under your warranty, unless you bought one of those cheap aftermarket warranties that are not held by toyota. Then you still get 1 year for product warranty, but not against improper installation (if done outside of Toyota). Why would you not be able to? I dont understand. There are like 5000 toyota dealers. You can have your car serviced where you want it serviced. Did you sign a contract in blood saying you will only go to them?

Go read some of my threads I started where I sued Toyota and WON. I got my car purchased back, but in your case that would never, ever happen - not with a suspension problem, that can be easily swapped out for another one. Read below for MY issues. I know how all this stuff works. Been there, done that. Have you successfully sued an auto maker and won?

I bought EVERY TRD option available. Rims, Coils, Front/Rear anti-sways, TRD carbon engine cover, Clutch, Supercharger, short shift kit, every OEM option available too. I mean EVERYTHING. Lots of custom parts of the RS series cars too. I build basically the ultimate RS (release series) nautical metallic blue car. I also had STOPTECH brakes which aside from my audio system, was the only thing non OEM+ styled.

At 5000 miles, Toyota installed the S/C, within 100 miles, it grenaded the motor. New $7500 motor installed. 5,000 miles later? S/C major bearing damage. Went through TWO TRD clutches, and TWO cat converters. Not to mention getting a THIRD supercharger. All this before 23,000 miles or so in 7 years.

Toyota gave me all my money back, gave me my TRD parts back, minus mileage depreciation which was around $1,600 (and mind you, this was my weekend car, so it was 7+ years old, MINT condition, 23,000 miles on it, and ONLY serviced at toyota). They refunded me my complete warranty amount (10 year warranty I think I had?)

Your car is just having suspension issues. They are not going to give you another car. Thats not a "lemon" like I had. TAKE IT TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP. Dont ask. Do you ask your mom if you can stay out late? Take initiative, and do not let the dealer walk all over you. My dealer was TOP NOTCH and fixed everything the best they could, and gave me premium rentals for any service and always gave me a full tank of gas, and specifically said DO NOT pay for any gas, or save the receipts and would reimburse me for any fuel. They went above and beyond, to try to fix my car, and save a multiple toyota/lexus customer -They gave me 4 brand new Yoko tires for free. They tried their best, only the master tech and his assistant worked on my car for the life of it (unless it was just an oil change and state inspection) They even flew someone in from Cali to make sure it was not things I did to the car (IE: Switched S/C pulley for more boost, messed with the engine management system, and watched them disassemble the motor).

My dealership treated me well, I purchased a 2nd from them (Yaris) in cash, that was my daily driver. They did not want to lose me as a customer. But - I would never buy another Toyota again after all of this, I want a BRZ, but not until they up the power from the factory. I would not own the scion variant.

My car was hauled back to Cali for a research car after that.

Your no where near in the same boat I was in. No one is going to buy your car back and you buy another one because of an aftermarket (OEM) suspension.

Worst case scenario, you get your money back for the suspension - put your stock stuff on, THEN take it to a TRUE high end tuner shop to have it done. I dont know where you live, but there are high end tuner shops in every state. If your in PA or MD, I can recommend about 6.

If your having these problems, I do not know why you would not do that in the first place. (Yeah I get it, you have a newer car, and want a sport suspension on it) but if you think toyota will screw it up again - take it to a tuner shop.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM

Now I'm really confused, because I spoke to a Toyota dealership in Dublin, CA (got my car in San Francisco, CA) and they advised me to get a refund on my car and also report the issues I have having to corporate with the original dealership (how I had to go back half dozen times to resolve aesthetic and installation problems).

Based on your S/C issues I see why Toyota doesn't offer the S/C option anymore, because I remember seeing the S/C option when I got my 1st gen tC.

If your dealer was top notch and had guys that really knew their stuff then I'm screwed, lesson learned I guess. When it comes to aftermarket parts, never have them done by a dealer but a experienced tuner shop. The one and only reason I had the dealer do it was for the 3yr warranty on the parts (I only plan on keeping the car for ~5yrs)
Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Optical - man I am not trying to be a downer on you. You should have a few dealers there in Cali bro, call them - call corporate and tell them you want to work with a different dealership. Let them build the relationship for you.

And yes, really - the tuner shops should be who works on aftermarket stuff. They are more creative, more experienced, and are just flat out better when it comes to that stuff.

Toyota dealership service people remind me of "best buy" people. (Geek squad). Now, if you go to a company in your city that builds custom computers, you will pay more sometimes, but you will usually get top notch service, and people that are experienced with what they put together.

When I bought my SC, and they kept blowing up parts (the s/c, motor, cat converter) I was so ____ed I did not go turbo. More power, more reliability, and I had LOCAL shops (Chris Rado's PA shop was 40 minutes from me...Ptuning was like 2 hours). I could of had a beast setup.

Thats why (and dont take this the wrong way, the current scion owners always talk crap about hondas) but I bought TWO civic SI's. One is a EP3 hatch (silver, turbo) and the 08 FG2 coupe SI (black, supercharged) are monsters. 9200 RPMs on the 8th gen, vtec engages at 4200 (stock was 5800), and the kick, and noise - is insane. No rice sounding, just a sick sick whine on the comptech SC.

My opinion with scion, I went to ALL the events, got others to buy into the brand, and felt slighted when I got a sh1tty car at the end of it. I've always owned honda sport bikes - and I beat the hell out of them, and they love it. Thats why I went with the SI hondas.

Plus, google the 2015 civic type R we are supposed to be getting. Fastest FWD around the 'ring in Germany, ever. Close to 300hp factory. I am making 331hp on a freaking 2.0 liter motor, that LOVES to be run to the top of the RPM band.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Torque, you over on 8thcivic? I have an 07 FG2 pushing 520hp on 20lbs **giggle**
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Torque, you over on 8thcivic? I have an 07 FG2 pushing 520hp on 20lbs **giggle**
Absolutely HFP-civicSI. Obviously you went turbo lol. I'm vit tuned stage 2 CT-E. You still have a scion? I know there has always been the rivalry and a lot of hate on hondas from here, but I dont think these guys understand how great of a car the SI's are, out of the box - and then modded. I have not read too many threads of SI's blowing up either, but with my toyota experience I would never come back.

I like how the r18 guys are using that Jackson setup to try and catch up to the output of the stock SI's. I think they are just getting into the high 14's lol!!!

I also have a 170hp CBR1kRR 08 in silver/black. I have never had anything pass that bike. Not even the occasional (twice) exotic. From the looks of the bike, since its so small framed, they might think its the 600rr. I have a 03 RC51 1000r honda too, vtwin 140hp maybe? Sounds like a big block chevy with its dual pipes. Honda builds quality quality stuff. Even the lawn mowers
Old 02-28-2014, 02:04 AM

@torqueTc, let me give you the full picture.

I have 2 rides, the xB is my workmobile, I'm a contractor for various software companies and I also perform onsite maintenance and repair for businesses oftentimes I have to drive long distances so my 08' G35 won't cut it, fuel consumption and utility wise. I didn't want to get a SUV because I can't stand body roll and the lack of handling. Handling for me has always been #1, power comes 2nd (what's the point of power if you can control it, right?)

Before I decided on the xB I had a few choices in mind (that were under $25k out the door w/ auto tranny), Nissan Juke, Fiat 500L and Honda Fit. The Juke was OK, but CVT and poor throttle response ruined the car, the Fit is lacking in power and the 500L was all over the place, it's a

The xB became the obvious choice. Before I decided to go all in with dealership installed TRD parts I have a buddy of mine who lives an hour away who tuned cars professionally for HKS in Japan back in the day, he specializes in suspension, brakes and tires. As you can imagine, upgrading the suspension on my xB would be a walk in a park for him.

However there's a few things I had to consider, 1. Convenience, he lives too damn far from me, 2. I would only get 1yr warranty (vs 3yrs) if I installed the TRD parts myself, 3. If anything were to happen during the 3yr warranty period all I need to do is drop off my car and pick up a loaner and I'm ready to go, 4. It will be very difficult for me and him to coordinate a time when we're both free from our busy lives and get together to install the parts.

Like you said, at this point I need to get in touch with corporate and working something out. I no longer trust the people who work there and I'm afraid to bringing my car there for service. It seems their techs are only good for changing oil and rotating tires, anything outside of that is above their expertise.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah dude, get corp to hook you up with another dealership. Your problems are going to be easier to deal with than mine - its just getting it done right. Mine was a continual issue since the S/C was a POS.

I woulda got the NISMO juke in AWD though, that thing looks awesome I think. The fit, well the old ones look better than the new ones, and thats not saying a whole lot.

The juke is most def a love it or hate it thing right away. I think it looks so funky (for me it kinda looks like an amphibian...dont ask why, because I dont know) but AWD + turbo = good ride for here in Pennsylvania.

I would pass on any fiat unless it was the Abarth model.

Make some calls tomorrow and post up what happens dude. My name is Al BTW. I hope you can get some progress tomorrow with your calls. Just be really polite, but insist on how this thing is a $20k+ investment that the dealership is ruining and you dont want it to go any further than it has too and get "other" people involved (aka lawyers, dont say it, but drop the hint once).
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 AM

And to add to the list of problems, I don't think they performed an alignment after they installed the suspension because I have to hold my steering wheel 5º to the right to keep my car going straight. I noticed this today on the freeway.

Here's some pics of their touch-up job after they repainted the rear bumper (they had to repaint the entire rear bumper because of their carelessness that left 2 deep scratches). On the passenger side the corner is sticking out and the bumper line doesn't sit flush the the body. They fixed the scratches, but left me with more problems than before.
Attached Thumbnails Are my TRD shocks leaking?-driversidetouchup.jpg   Are my TRD shocks leaking?-passengersidefasica.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
Absolutely HFP-civicSI. Obviously you went turbo lol. I'm vit tuned stage 2 CT-E. You still have a scion? I know there has always been the rivalry and a lot of hate on hondas from here, but I dont think these guys understand how great of a car the SI's are, out of the box - and then modded. I have not read too many threads of SI's blowing up either, but with my toyota experience I would never come back.

I like how the r18 guys are using that Jackson setup to try and catch up to the output of the stock SI's. I think they are just getting into the high 14's lol!!!

I also have a 170hp CBR1kRR 08 in silver/black. I have never had anything pass that bike. Not even the occasional (twice) exotic. From the looks of the bike, since its so small framed, they might think its the 600rr. I have a 03 RC51 1000r honda too, vtwin 140hp maybe? Sounds like a big block chevy with its dual pipes. Honda builds quality quality stuff. Even the lawn mowers
Haha. Cool cool. Me too man. I'm on there. And yeah, I went turbo. Precision 6262. But dude, unlike the scion's, those supercharged K20's can frickin shell out some numbers dude. Some dudes are well into the 400hp range with those those. Just nuts. Here's my think about the rivalry. It's all hear-say. None of the people talking bad about the civics have actually driven a civic or owned one, or experienced one, otherwise, they'd be honest and give it props. The 8th gen I think is where they really turned a corner to where it's somewhat of a "nicer" car. You can make all the stereotypes you want for the 90's civics, because they are true. They are all held together by gorilla glue at this point. But none one can say a word about an 8th gen. And that's the only part that bothers me. "Aww man.. civic sucks this civic sucks that..." No. Go experience one, and then call me.

Haven't heard of too many Si's blowing up? **Guilty** Haha. Well here's one for you. Haha. Me. $15K later, she's back on the road.

Nice bikes too man. I don't have any bikes... YET. My dad has a 1980 susuki gs1100 drag bike fully built bored out to all hell. The highway is about 3 miles through neighborhoods and trees, and I can hear him getting on the highway. It's deafening and I love it. And crazy fast. 180 psi of air shift too. Just insane.

Honda does make great stuff, however two different companies as far as I'm concerned. There's the "H" and the "wings", you know.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
And to add to the list of problems, I don't think they performed an alignment after they installed the suspension because I have to hold my steering wheel 5º to the right to keep my car going straight. I noticed this today on the freeway.

Here's some pics of their touch-up job after they repainted the rear bumper (they had to repaint the entire rear bumper because of their carelessness that left 2 deep scratches). On the passenger side the corner is sticking out and the bumper line doesn't sit flush the the body. They fixed the scratches, but left me with more problems than before.
****! An alignment is a NEEDED, not optional, when swapping suspension. Did they charge you for it? Tell your rep at corp about the damage AND horrible (and dangerous) driving without the alignment, and the wear on your tires. Not to mention if you get stuck in the rain or something, its more prone to not sit right and cause you and accident (SO BE CAREFUL if its bad!)

Quick Reply: Are my TRD shocks leaking?