Notices

Springs vs Air vs Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Springs vs Air vs Coilovers?

I've had springs already and I'm on coilovers right now thinking about jumping over to air suspension, probably an air over set up. How is the ride of air bags compared to springs and coilovers?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

At the correct ride height and psi...airbags can be as smooth as factory.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would agree....having full control over PSI per corner allows the driver to adjust to his or her liking in seconds, but having coilovers is great too!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its two different worlds really.

Bags: made for cruising/laying frame, and set up right can be suuper smooth.

Coils: made to get the maximum performance out of your car, and will allow you to feel a twig on the road as you run over them.

Personally, I'd love some coilovers and an EFDC so I can set them to soft while cruising, but thats me.

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 09-01-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

What coil overs do you have? we at forjworks has some threaded mounts.. if not we sell AirREX that is a air over set up..
Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

www.forjworks.com
Old 09-05-2011, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the scionpro D2BD coilovers. I looked at the forjworks site for the threaded sleeeves but didn't think you had one for the scionpro coilovers. I already bought an air set up for now so we'll see how that goes.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 PM

Different application, but same outcome.

I have had two different sets of coilovers (albeit very expensive ones, H&R and Koni Street Sport) in my wife's Audi. They beat the living hell out of her. I put an H&R CupKit (matching springs and dampers) and it was night and day in terms of ride quality. They rode just like factory but with a pretty deep drop.

I have ran coilovers in many other cars as well and they always seem to be pretty harsh. Including but not limited too; Mustangs, SRT-4 (the roughest of all!), Rabbit/Golf 5, Jetta IV, Focus, and many more. They handled great, but like I stated all pretty harsh.

I have never had anything with bags. My interest has always leaned (no pun intended ;)) towards the performance side of lowering a vehicle.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by flyingemu05
I have the scionpro D2BD coilovers. I looked at the forjworks site for the threaded sleeeves but didn't think you had one for the scionpro coilovers. I already bought an air set up for now so we'll see how that goes.
let me know if you need help..
Old 09-14-2011, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

See thats where I am stuck at this point. I want to drop the box, but I dont want a pogo ride. I've considered coil overs but it seems the consensus is that coilovers deliver a harsh ride because its performance based. I am only looking to drop it 1.2 front and maybe 2.2 rear. DO you think I would still get a rough ride with a coil over set for a soft rebound?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had my coilovers set at the softest when i first got them and hated it. now i have them set to 25 in the front and 20 rear (both out of 30) and i like the ride much better, but i'm not a big fan of the harsh ride of coilovers or the jarring sounds you get when going over small dips/cracks and train tracks so i'm moving over to air to see how that is.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had my coilovers set at the softest when i first got them and hated it. now i have them set to 25 in the front and 20 rear (both out of 30) and i like the ride much better, but i'm not a big fan of the harsh ride of coilovers or the jarring sounds you get when going over small dips/cracks and train tracks so i'm moving over to air to see how that is.
What are you running now?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

still have the coilovers on for now. my air kit is sitting in the garage waiting for install which should be this saturday. don't get me wrong, coilovers are great, i love taking turns fast with almost no body roll but the ride is just too stiff for my liking and im not the most careful when it comes to potholes/driveways/bumps.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

still have the coilovers on for now. my air kit is sitting in the garage waiting for install which should be this saturday. don't get me wrong, coilovers are great, i love taking turns fast with almost no body roll but the ride is just too stiff for my liking and im not the most careful when it comes to potholes/driveways/bumps.
So it sounds like I might just settle for lowered springs and changing out the struts and shocks.. After hearing your story I dont feel like shelling out 1k for a rattle rocket that feels like a roller coaster on metal tracks.. I live by you, I should come see how yours rides and see if its something I might be able to live with.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you can have the best of booth worlds! with Coil over with bags over it... there is a certain way to set it up for the track.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kingofthecrate
So it sounds like I might just settle for lowered springs and changing out the struts and shocks.. After hearing your story I dont feel like shelling out 1k for a rattle rocket that feels like a roller coaster on metal tracks.. I live by you, I should come see how yours rides and see if its something I might be able to live with.
i would be down to let you check them out but i wont be home tomorrow for most of the day and my car is going in to the shop first thing in the morning saturday for the air install. If you're worried about your decision then i think you should wait it out until you can take a ride in an xb with lowering springs vs coilovers. i got a decent deal on my coilovers so thats why i bought them, kinda jumped the gun while waiting on a deal for an air setup.

Originally Posted by eight08customs
you can have the best of booth worlds! with Coil over with bags over it... there is a certain way to set it up for the track.
thought about getting the airrex suspension and converting my current coilovers to an air over set up but it would be a little expensive. i got a decent deal on the airbag kit too. who knows, if its still not to my liking then i'll prob check out the air over kit
Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You gonna sell your coilovers? This while thing is becoming a PITA.. The more I research it the more I want to set my box on fire and buy another truck haha..

Its tough to A and B the cars because I dont know anyone who owns one.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kingofthecrate
You gonna sell your coilovers? This while thing is becoming a PITA.. The more I research it the more I want to set my box on fire and buy another truck haha..

Its tough to A and B the cars because I dont know anyone who owns one.
yep i'm going to be selling them.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member

i love the harsh ride of my coilovers
Old 11-23-2011, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

what air kit did u go with?

Quick Reply: Springs vs Air vs Coilovers?