Notices

Tokicos, Teins, and 17's

Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tokicos, Teins, and 17's

As most of you know, I had Tanabe NF210's on my 2008 xB, and was probably the greatest advocate on ScionLife for those springs. I think at least 150 xB2 owners purchased those springs based on the Official NF210 thread I started back in 2008... that's about $30,000 in retail sales; are you listening Tanabe? In case anybody's wondering, yes I'm a little bitter that they never responded to any of my PM's or emails. Great springs, but ignoring your largest supporters & advocates is no way to do business.
OK, Tanabe rant over.

For my 2012 xB I decided go with Tein H-Tech springs to keep a mild drop up front, but have more drop in the rear to even out the ride height more than the NF's did. I also decided to go for better handling, better road feel, and a set of more performance oriented shocks & struts that would better match the stiffer spring rates of the H-Techs. The rear spring rates are considerably stiffer on the H-techs than on the NF's, so the rear doesn't sit as low when loaded with passengers or cargo either. I don't know how H-Techs handle or ride with OEM shocks because I had the Teins & Tokicos all installed at the same time to save on labor costs ($100 total by an experienced mechanic who is a former Scion owner at a real shop in only 1 hour for the whole job). All I can say is that while I was happy with the comfort that the NF's provided on OEM shocks/struts, the handling and road feel of what the chassis is doing below me is night & day with the new set-up. I'm know it's nothing near the benefits that coilovers can provide, but I just didn't want to go that far & have to monkey with their adjustability for my 500 mile/week daily driver. In an effort to aid the suspension of a daily driver on terrible Cali streets & roads, I decided to go with 17's at all 4 corners (no double-stagger this time). I was having a difficult time finding affordable wheels that I liked, so when a deal came up for some Scion 17's ready to bolt on with almost new tires, TPMS sensors, and lug nuts, I had to jump on it. So on to the pics.

Name:  2012xBsideview.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  2012xBleft3qtr.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  55.2 KB

Just for fun:
Name:  2012xBrightsideviewcartoon-1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  95.1 KB

Anybody else with the same set-up, please add your thoughts & pics...
your turn Slugo.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish the xB had more options for dampers in general. The bound and rebound of Tokicos are mismatched for pretty much any spring that you can put on the xB....

EDIT: Not trying to thread crap, so I'd like to add that the setup looks nice.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
The bound and rebound of Tokicos are mismatched for pretty much any spring that you can put on the xB...
Maybe so, but they're a lot better than dropping it and just leaving the OEM shocks & struts on... and thanks, I like it, which is really all that matters in the end.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Maybe so, but they're a lot better than dropping it and just leaving the OEM shocks & struts on... and thanks, I like it, which is really all that matters in the end.
Yeah they're better than the OEMs of course. Too bad about Tanabe.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Too bad about Tanabe.
Yea, their loss, I feel like I could have greatly increased the sales of their Medalion Touring axel-back for the xB2 if they had just responded & been willing to sponsor me with one. Oh well, I'd really like a Magna-flow cat-back, but not willing to shell out the .
Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, their loss, I feel like I could have greatly increased the sales of their Medalion Touring axel-back for the xB2 if they had just responded & been willing to sponsor me with one. Oh well, I'd really like a Magna-flow cat-back, but not willing to shell out the .
Go custom!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 AM

Anybody else with the same set-up, please add your thoughts & pics...
your turn Slugo.
When I first signed up, I quickly discovered that CIONIDE was not only the wheel and tire guru, but he also spoke highly of the Tanabe NF210 springs. After a few PM's and taking some time to read the NF210 forum, I decided to try them out. At first, I really liked them; not just because they made my car lower, but because the ride quality was much more forgiving. It was great for daily commutes, but after a while I started to notice some things that turned me off. First, depending on the awesome road quality in Southern California , my xB would feel like I was driving an old 70s Caddy or Lincoln with a blown out suspension (We've all seen them going down the freeway). The rear of the xB was so spongy, it turned a comfortable ride into an annoyance. Secondly, the spring rate of the NF210's were too soft for me. The amount of rear wheel fender gap was dependent upon how much gas I had in my tank. On an empty tank, my xB looked stock.

So after having my setup for about a year, I contacted CIONIDE again just to see what was new. After a few conversations, some research, and phone calls, CIONIDE "convinced" me to go out and spend my money on a new suspension setup. I'm glad he did!

With the Tokico HP Blue shocks and struts, Tein H-Tech springs, and 17" wheels, I love driving my car even more! I feel way more connected while driving, and even though the ride is more firm than the NF210's, it is way more enjoyable and feels sportier. The spongy feeling in the rear is gone, and my rear suspension stays level regardless of how much fuel I have in my tank. Is it a go-kart? No. But it did make driving my xB more enjoyable and fun.

As for the wheels, I had Enkei 16" J10's, and it was time to step it up in size without having to spend too much money on tires. I decided to go with 17" Enkei RPF1's

Thanks CIONIDE for all your help...again.

Last edited by Slugo; 06-25-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Slugo
Thanks CIONIDE for all your help...again.
1. You're welcome.
2. Glad you're enjoying the change in ride & handling quality as much as I am.
3. Nice wheels.
4. Your front windows could use a little tint.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking good. Finally on. How is the ride to you? The noise?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tha_insane
Looking good. Finally on. How is the ride to you? The noise?
Thanks again; the ride seems fine, considering I've never driven on this suspension with 17's. It's a little sharper over potholes than the OEM 16's, but that's to be expected. I just put the tires & wheels on yesterday, and the music has covered up any tire noise. I'll have a better idea after commute driving for a while, and when I eventually replace the Dunlop 5000 tires with some that are comparatively known to provide a smooth & quiet ride (Conti DW's are the future plan although I haven't ruled out the DWS due to their all season rating & superior tread life).
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The NF 210 spring could be a bit lower in the rear . I'am very happy with the comfort ride and i've never rubbed , so guess your thread helped .

Last edited by vancouverray; 06-25-2012 at 05:12 AM. Reason: wrong
Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I loved the ride quality of the NF's on my 2008, I just decided to go a different direction with the 2012. The Tein springs weren't even available for the 2008 xB until more than a year after Tanabe released their springs.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tanabes loss...not yours Cionide!! Great person to have around the forum peeps!!!

Now maybe powdercoat your scion wheels a different color!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shadezz
Now maybe powdercoat your scion wheels a different color!!!
Nope, I like the gunmetal finish against CSM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-26-2018 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where is the cheapest place to buy Tokicos?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxsho...ctsdisplay.php

Cheapest that I know of (shipping was free), and where Slugo & I both purchased from. Keep in mind that Cali buyers will have to pay sales tax, but these guys will also honor Tokico manufacturers warranty if ever needed, whereas eBay sellers will not.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks great cionide glad your happy with your new setup. I've been running htech for about 2 years, and this week I'm putting in TRD struts. hopefully I'll see an improvement in ride quality like you did in your tokicos
Old 07-15-2012, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Car looks good, but you already knew that!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM

So I finally got my springs. I was originally going to go with NFs but decided on the H Techs, but my buddy at Grand Auto accidentally ordered the S Techs... I'm glad he did. I rubbed the rear plastic once when I had my parents in the back but all in all I love the look and ride. I'll try to post better pics soon.

Before
Name:  40e6a001.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  114.2 KB

After
Name:  958f2703.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  104.8 KB
Name:  35e2af46.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  140.4 KB

Search this Thread