Notices

18, 19, maybe 20's on my xb

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM

Default 18, 19, maybe 20's on my xb

Hey all, haven't been around for a while but though I would pop in to pic your minds for a moment.

So its that time of the year to start looking at tires. I priced the tires I wanted at a local shop and there asking a little over $800 installed. I can get the same tires online much heaper and though this would be a good opportunity to replace my factory steelies with new rims. I'm kind of new to the whole rim thing so I'm hoping someone can clear a few things up for me.

First I see that the backspacing on the factory wheel is 5.5 inches. If you maintain the same overall diameter what is the largest backspacing you can go. I have been looking at rims on tirerack.com and they are recommending rims with as much as 6.25 inches of backspacing. I think that means the rim will be 3/4 of an inch closer the the inside wall. Is that correct?

Second, if backspacing remains the same and tire diameter remains the same does that mean it should have plenty of clearance. For example on the car I currently have 215/55/16's which is 25.2" overall. If I went with a 20" rim with 225/30/20 the overall diameter is 25.3. if the backset stays the same they should fit with no clearance issues correct.

Also for what its worth I'm actually wanting the rims to stick out past the fender as I will be fairing them soon.

Third, on all of the rims I have see the center bore is larger than the factory. Is this ok to run them like this without a centering ring?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.