Notices

The Official 17" Club Thread - Who's Coming With Me???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The Official 17" Club Thread - Who's Coming With Me???

Is having 17s making you feel a little inadequate?
Are you tired of people clowning your 17s for thirteens?
Are you sad you can't sport the "DUB" emblem on your ride?

Don't fret any longer because this is the 17" appreciation thread dedicated to the special car enthusiasts who know the perfect balance between performance and style.

So, who's coming with me? Post up your 17s if you got them already!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-23-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey I agree with you. 17's are the perfect balance of performance and style. I've been looking for the right set even though I probably won't buy them for a while. The thing is that 95% of rims out there now have polished lips. They look cool and all, but I think you have to at least go with 18s with a lip because the diameter appears smaller than it really is (IMO).

Right now I'm really liking the 2008 TSW Croft in 17"!

Let me rephrase myself. I think 17s are the perfect balance style, practicality, and performance - in that order for my needs.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i would like to do a staggered set of 17" on mine ... with that extra lip in the rear ... but finding a style that looks good is always a pain ...
Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RockdaBeef! Those TSWs do look pretty nice... they remind me of BBS RCs that come stock on Volkswagons. I admit that BigBoy06's ride is pretty bada$$ with his 19s on there, but after having 19s myself at one time, I don't envy the cost of tire replacements.

I just scored an original set of Racing Hart Type C2s last night. The guy basically had them sitting in his garage and I was able to get them for a decent price. It does have a little lip on there that does make it look smaller, but I'm still stoked about them.

For you somewhat younger folks, these rims were once the sought out rim back in the day! Just looking at these rims remind me of the days when I used to drool over rice rockets in Japan reading Option magazine...

The rims need a little work, but I can see the potential in them. Do you guys think I should anodize the center cap blue or red? or BOTH? If I do both, I can have red on one side and blue on the other...

Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

nice score! ...

i would love to find a set of older wheels but haven't a clue what the ones i want are called ... they have 3 sets of spokes ... 2 in each set ... normally seen in a body color with a polished / machined lip ...

knowing me though it will be one of these

Old 04-02-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by D_Unit
The rims need a little work, but I can see the potential in them. Do you guys think I should anodize the center cap blue or red? or BOTH? If I do both, I can have red on one side and blue on the other...
as for the color, i would do it depending on other colors you are using or plan to use...
Old 04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Devil,

I like all 3 of those... that's a pretty tough choice between them. The 1st ones look sick and are the newest style. Since they fan out all the way to the edge, it might appear to look bigger like RocktheBeef was saying. The 2nd ones are definitely the most sportiest looking ones. And the 3rd is a combination of the first two. What color is your car?

Since my car is BSP, I was just planning to keep it all black and plain, but just have a splash of color on the center caps. Here's the picture that made me consider doing red on one side and blue on the other....

Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

mine is classic silver ... normally i would want to go with a black rim with a colored lip ... but considering bronze this time ...
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those Racing Harts are pretty nice. Nice score for sure! as for the colored caps, it'a all personal opinion. I have BSP too and I would use sliver caps. What size are the tires on those? 225/45/17?

The Tenzos in the top picture are some of my favorites, but a little expernsive (but not too bad). I wish they came in regular silver or hyper silver. That would probably seal the deal for me.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

they have a few of them in a hyperblack .. which is a dark silver ... but could always get them powdercoated ...

yeah the price is a bit high .. but for the quality i think it will be worth it ...

i am looking at about 1100 for the rims and tires
Old 04-02-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
Those Racing Harts are pretty nice. Nice score for sure! as for the colored caps, it'a all personal opinion. I have BSP too and I would use sliver caps. What size are the tires on those? 225/45/17?

The Tenzos in the top picture are some of my favorites, but a little expernsive (but not too bad). I wish they came in regular silver or hyper silver. That would probably seal the deal for me.
The wheels are actually staggered right now, but the fronts are 225/45/17 which are perfect to me. The rears are 245/40/17. I went to an anodizing shop today during lunch, but it seems I have to break down the center cap completely because there a plastic ring thread in there... Right now, I'm leaning to red center caps.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I like the 225/45/17.

Look what I found. Man I need to hurry up with getting an engagement ring for my GF soI can get me some rims! Priorities...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

oh those look nice with a machined front on them ...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look what I found. Man I need to hurry up with getting an engagement ring for my GF soI can get me some rims! Priorities...
Hey man, you're getting engaged?!? Congrats! I just got engaged in Feb. When we first started planning the wedding and it was SOO damn stressful. A 100 guest wedding was coming out to $20K! After all that stress, we finally decided to get married in Mexico near or on the beach!!! We are probably going to book the tickets tomorrow or so... Good luck to you man!

Damn, those rims are hawt!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hmmm would this fit ?

17 x 8 5.0"backspacing +12mm

or would the offset be to bad? ... found another wheel i really like ...

Old 04-02-2008, 10:58 PM
SL Member

17's was the route I was going to go, I still have them if anyone is interested, they are staggered; 8's (et 32) and 9's (st 3 Blitz Type 01's. These are a real classic but I wanted something a little larger so I've got my eye on some 18" Works.
More power to the dudes rocking the 17's!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey man, you're getting engaged?!? Congrats! I just got engaged in Feb. When we first started planning the wedding and it was SOO damn stressful. A 100 guest wedding was coming out to $20K! After all that stress, we finally decided to get married in Mexico near or on the beach!!! We are probably going to book the tickets tomorrow or so... Good luck to you man!

Yup. Game Over for me! haha. I plan to get the ring within a couple months. I want to use what would be wedding money to put a down payment on a house, but you know I have about 5% say in that. her guest list is bigger than mine and I'm sure her mother wants to make a big deal of it all. I'm cool either way. Typical, right?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup. Game Over for me! haha. I plan to get the ring within a couple months. I want to use what would be wedding money to put a down payment on a house, but you know I have about 5% say in that. her guest list is bigger than mine and I'm sure her mother wants to make a big deal of it all. I'm cool either way. Typical, right?
I feel you bro... Lucky for me I bought a Condo when I was single and used some of that money to buy our townhouse that we live in now. But once we're married, I'm sure she'll be looking at a bigger single family home... it never stops bro...

That being said, I still have fun with this Scion. My buddy IMs me the other day and tells me this person got a Tahoe and this person got a Suburban. Honestly, I'd rather floss my cheap Scion and keep the rest of $$$ on other toys for the house!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel you bro... Lucky for me I bought a Condo when I was single and used some of that money to buy our townhouse that we live in now. But once we're married, I'm sure she'll be looking at a bigger single family home... it never stops bro...

That being said, I still have fun with this Scion. My buddy IMs me the other day and tells me this person got a Tahoe and this person got a Suburban. Honestly, I'd rather floss my cheap Scion and keep the rest of $$$ on other toys for the house!!!
Don't want to get this thread too off track, but yeah... I bought the Scion as part of an effort to not have an "ego car". I see a lot of materialism in SoCal and it's all so shallow when you put it in perspective. I do appreciate nice things though. I just prefer to "wear my labels on the inside" - a term I started using to explain that nice things are OK as long as their purpose is not to show up or belittle others. Of course I'm not super rich so that's part of why I feel this way. But I do see of lot of people around here that live beyond their means. It's all a front.

...and toys for the house is what it's all about. Give me a great home theater and BBQ grill and I'm a happy camper.

...nad now back to 17s! I like the wheels that come stock on Avalons. I looked into a set until I was told they were 28# each! I need to double check if that's accurate because I think these wheels are nice and they can be had for cheap.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick Update.

I finally installed my new 17" rims yesterday and I can definitely tell a stark difference between the 205/55/16 vs the (F) 225/45/17 (R) 235/45/17 I have on now. I've had 17s, 18s, and 19s on my bimmer, but I was still a little shocked how much the overall ride changed on the XB. The ride is definitely not as smooth as my 16s, so I can't imagine what it feels like to be on 19s or 20s. That being said, I can't wait till I burn the existing rubbers that came with these rims and buy something more better to get my comfy feeling back again.... Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: The Official 17" Club Thread - Who's Coming With Me???