Notices

Tire Traction

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tire Traction

I have 205x16 tires of my 2008 Scion XB. These tires seem way too wide for a car this size and weight. Traction on wet roads or snow is terrible. I can easily spin the front tires from a standing start on a wet road. My tires are rated "A" for traction. Is this a common problem? Does anyone have a solution to improve traction. Tires that aren't so wide??
Old 12-16-2022, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A 205 tire is not wide and is fine for the car. What tires do you have on currently? Are they designed for summer or max traction? It may just be the tread design , or rubber composition, of the current tires isn't well suited for wet traction.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tire Traction

The tires I have on the car now are Goodyear Assurance with an "A" traction rating and guaranteed 80,000 miles. Maybe the rubber is too hard to last that long. The reason I feel the tire size is too big is I had a 1982 Dodge Van that came with 205 tires, so for a light little car I would think more narrow tires would be appropriate and provide better traction. Are Scions known for having good wet traction?
Old 12-18-2022, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tires do harden up with age. Sometimes they show signs of cracking in the sidewall and or tread
What is the date code on the tire?
How to find / read the date code link

Also, you may just need dedicated snow tires for where you live. They have lots of thin cuts called sipes in the tread, that help out with traction.
Lots of people in the snow zone have spare wheels with snow tires on, ready to go when the snow comes down. Then swap back to the all season tires in spring.
Of course, then there is fun with the TPMS monitors
Old 12-18-2022, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need snow tyres. Designed specifically for snow & ice. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 will perform way better.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hotwire3
The tires I have on the car now are Goodyear Assurance with an "A" traction rating and guaranteed 80,000 miles. Maybe the rubber is too hard to last that long. The reason I feel the tire size is too big is I had a 1982 Dodge Van that came with 205 tires, so for a light little car I would think more narrow tires would be appropriate and provide better traction. Are Scions known for having good wet traction?
Looks like you have the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread if they have tan 80,000 mile guarantee. These have a longer tread life and comfort level than some of the other tires in the Assurance line but this is achieved by changing the tread pattern and tire compound in such a way that you loose some wet weather traction. you might be able to get slightly better grip with a narrower tire but only at the sacrifice of dry grip and cornering. But a 205 is a perfectly fine width for the size and weight of the xB. Your comparing suspension and tire technology of a 30 year older vehicle, it's not an apples to apples comparison. Personally I've never been a fan of Goodyear tires, usually get Michelin tires if they have the size I want. Cost is a lot more but there are reasons for that.,

As posted above if you are in a snow area look into getting snow tires or a better all-season tire if you only get light snow.