Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Wheel & Tire (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-wheel-tire-1796/)
-   -   Sport Utility XB? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-wheel-tire-1796/sport-utility-xb-217979/)

ScionFred 09-19-2012 09:35 AM

Sport Utility XB?

I'm bored with my XB and will be buying a new car soon. Because I have so much time and money invested into the XB I'd like to keep it as my second car but to do that it has to be truly 4 season capable. Even on TRD springs the XB is useless for serious winter duty. Two years ago the XB was snowed in for 3 days and when I was finally able to drive it, it bottomed out everywhere because it sat lower than every other car that had been before it.

Anyway, my idea is to re-install the oem springs with my oem 16" alloys and Yokohoma Geolander A/T-S 215/65/16 tires. The 2" taller tires will provide a 1" lift and help to fill out the wheel wells. With the turbo, turning them won't be an issue at all. What do you guys think about the concept of the XB as a compact SUV? Sort of an asian Mini Countryman?

DJ_FroZone 09-19-2012 04:00 PM

IM confused where do you live? im in upstate NY. we get snow all the time. im on trd springs. steelies as well. 205-55-16. Never have issue with snow. In fact i love snow time. Can't wait to get side ways.

ScionFred 09-19-2012 08:33 PM

I live in MD and every few years we get a big winter storm which dumps a few feet of snow in a few days. It takes several days to get the secondary roads and parking lots plowed so I'm looking to have more than 4-5" ground clearance to drive over hard-packed snow and ice that is 6-8" deep between the tire ruts and has thawed and re-frozen several times. I'd rather not rip off the bumper covers and have to go through the hassle and expense of having them replaced and painted every few years.

In an average winter the lowered XB is fine but that's not what I was asking about.

Not the best photo but here is an example of the look I'm asking for opinions on. Any feedback on tire fitment is also welcome. I'm not 100% sure that 2" larger diameter A/T tires will fit without any rubbing even with oem springs. Cionide?

http://blog.thescionclub.com/wp-cont...-country11.jpg

dspeedy69 09-21-2012 11:06 PM

years ago on this website, I think there was a group of people who lifted and xb, but they used Rav 4 suspention. It looked pretty nice, but who knows how much all that cost.

ScionFred 09-24-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by dspeedy69 (Post 4057295)
years ago on this website, I think there was a group of people who lifted and xb, but they used Rav 4 suspention. It looked pretty nice, but who knows how much all that cost.

That would be very cool, especially with awd but too much time and money. I just think the XB looks really bad at stock ride height with stock tires and was thinking that a SUV look with A/T tires would be better. Unfortunately I did some checking and I don't think those 215/65/16 Geolanders will fit up front. They're a bit too tall.

CIONIDE 09-24-2012 08:09 PM

People drop xB's on DF210 or S-tech springs, which have a 1.7" drop up front, and they don't rub at all on the steelies. That whole 1.7" drop is coming down over the top of the wheel/tire radius. It would seem to me that to have a 2" larger tire diameter, which is only 1" larger radius, should fit fine on OEM springs & steelies... unless I'm missing some math here. :ponder:

At only 1cm wider tire size, that would only put the 215's 0.5cm closer to the fender, so I'm thinking that shouldn't be an issue either, but obviously no guaranty.

P.S. I really like the idea for dealing with the xB in harsh winter conditions... turbo in the snow - yeehaw, go Fred!

GDubya 09-26-2012 02:00 AM

235/60-16 and another $60 would give you an extra meatier look and width-stabilize the height better.
That pic looks like TRD wheels which, unless they're available other than US-standard 19"-dia, I would think would need lift for said 55-60 ratio kickass look.

The idea's kinda very cool though. Surprised the Aussie in their bloomin' walk-about ways haven't already taken on this idea for their Rukus. Maybe you can start somethin' global, Fred.
I'm thinking I might be convincible to be in for the alpha testing! :shock: With a turbo, might give the soon-to-be-defunct xB a whole new outlook...

ScionFred 09-26-2012 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by CIONIDE (Post 4058040)
People drop xB's on DF210 or S-tech springs, which have a 1.7" drop up front, and they don't rub at all on the steelies. That whole 1.7" drop is coming down over the top of the wheel/tire radius. It would seem to me that to have a 2" larger tire diameter, which is only 1" larger radius, should fit fine on OEM springs & steelies... unless I'm missing some math here. :ponder:

At only 1cm wider tire size, that would only put the 215's 0.5cm closer to the fender, so I'm thinking that shouldn't be an issue either, but obviously no guaranty.

P.S. I really like the idea for dealing with the xB in harsh winter conditions... turbo in the snow - yeehaw, go Fred!

I'm not so sure. Stock tires are 24.9" tall and my 25.3" tall 235/45/17s already rub the front of the fender liner at full steering lock and bottom out on big bumps. Narrower tires and stock springs will help but 27" tall tires may be a bit much without some supporting mods.

I actually bought/built myself a beater/winter car from a AWD 93 Subaru Legacy but I'm not very keen on owning 3 cars. The Subaru had failing air suspension so I installed Forester struts and springs to give it a 3" lift and then added 2" taller Falken A/T tires. It now has 9" of ground clearance but it also has 187k miles so I can't really trust it for a lot of use. I'm hoping to replace it with the 60k miles XB even though the XB will never be the snow car the Subaru is. Maybe I should just keep all 3... I don't know man, I'm kicking around a lot of ideas since it's really hard to sell a highly modified car like my XB without practically giving all the add-ons away.