Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

2009 xD Roof Rust under Black Vinyl Roof Strips

Old 06-09-2018, 02:09 PM
SL Member

Default 2009 xD Roof Rust under Black Vinyl Roof Strips

2009 Scion xD

I am a new member and I just acquired an '09 xD from my daughter who purchased it new. Yesterday a gave it a good washing and waxing. I found that there is rust forming under the two black vinyl strips that run the length of the car from front to rear.
It's that kind or rust that bubbles up from below the paint and quickly spreads. I'll try to post some photos of it. It looks like like dirt, rotten leaves and tree debris has accumulated there and caused the rot. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I would like to remove both strips, repair the damage, and leave the strips out so it doesn't happen again. Does anyone know if these strips serve any purpose other than esthetics?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any info.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 xD Roof Rust under Black Vinyl Roof Strips-img_2577.jpg   2009 xD Roof Rust under Black Vinyl Roof Strips-img_2579.jpg   2009 xD Roof Rust under Black Vinyl Roof Strips-img_2580.jpg  

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-10-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:05 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by ias532
2009 Scion xD
I would like to remove both strips, repair the damage, and leave the strips out so it doesn't happen again. Does anyone know if these strips serve any purpose other than esthetics? Thanks in advance, I appreciate any info.

I could be wrong, but, I THINK those are your Drip Moldings #13 on the Top of your Roof.
The name implies they are to help channel the drips/ water on your roof. If you were to remove them
then you are left with drip gutters, minus moldings. What you 1st have to consider that on a 9 year old vehicle whether the rust from the moldings have cause rust and corrosion to the paint on the drip channels.

If you are lucky, maybe you can use use some kind of rubbing / polish compound to remove the surface rust and you are home free. If that is the case you can decide on whether or Not Replacing the Moldings
and just go with the channels / drip gutter as is w/o the strips.

I also THINK they also serve as Rub / Glide Strips in case someone want to mount or attach a box or carrier on top. They serve as a small bumper strips nears the edges so as not scratch the paint.

Just my 2¢

MR_LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-10-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:31 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the information. The moulding/strips definitely need to be removed to get at the rust because I see the the strips are lifting slightly, the rust is formed under them and I don't want to let it go another minute - I'm afraid that it may rust through the roof.

I will prep, prime and paint and replace the strips with new. I want to order the strips and item #14 the retainer clips - it looks like there are two clips per side but I will double check with Toyota.
Do you recommend any particular OEM parts supplier?
Old 06-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Do you recommend any particular OEM parts supplier?

Not Particularly.
There are many online OEM parts suppliers like

https://www.sparksparts.com/

Any of them should show you the MSRP/List Price of the Item/Items. That is what your local dealer parts department would normally charge you.

The online OEM parts suppliers will offer you a Discount price, however you have to factor in the Shipping, so it may be a wash.

Your Best Bet is to get the Toyota/Scion Part Number Online and then do a Search online with the Part Number. Then decide where you want to purchase.

MR_LUV

Old 06-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Banned
SL Member

2009 Scion xD
...... Does anyone know if these strips serve any purpose other than esthetics?
It covers the weld between the panels.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:29 AM

Default Gotta have these

I know I'm late to the thread, but just in case anyone finds this like I did and is curious:

I have a 2009 xD that's lived it's life as an outdoor car. These strips have completely disintegrated leaving just the wire. I can confirm that without these, during a heavy rain, water will follow this channel and make it's way into the engine compartment and short fuses. Not a hard fix, but disables the car until they are replaced.