Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

The front hood emblem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 04:23 PM

Default The front hood emblem

This has probably been discussed before but I just what to confirm a couple things. First does the front emblem have tabs or just 3M tape holding it on? Second once it is off is the black/gray background a separate piece from the logo? Third if you can remove the background will the car paint color show through the logo as it does on the rear hatch logo?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:59 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

I'm pretty sure the xD is the tab type.

If you remove the background piece, then the body color will show through.

MR_LUV

Old 04-12-2017, 11:14 PM

Default Great!

Thanks, I'll be removing the gray background so that the front logo matches the rear logo.

I'm glad you enjoyed the hat.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 AM

Default Front Emblem Removal

What I thought was going to be a fairly easy job turned into a half day venture. I was able to pop off the Scion emblem without to much trouble. It's held on by two pins and some very thin 3M tape on the edges of the dark grey background. I figured the grey background was probably attached with 3M tape around the edges like most emblems. WRONG!

I started at the edge with dental floss to get behind it, using a back and forth sawing motion to remove it. After a couple of minutes I had only advanced perhaps an inch with the floss. I decided to switch over to fishing line I had in my tackle box. The fishing line didn't work any better than the floss. Since I now had a little over an inch starting to lift up I went the the big gun. I got my plastic ice scraper and attacked. With some force I was able to finally get it off in the form of a projectile that flew across the garage. Success! WRONG. I now knew why it didn't want to come off. The 3M tape that was holding it on wasn't just around the edges. It was the size of the emblem!

I used a heat gun. I soaked it in Goo Gone. I sprayed it with WD40. Even with the scraper it was only coming off in thin layers. I guess in the 9 years of hot and cold weather the tape had become part of the hood. After hours of elbow grease I finally got it to the point where liquid compound would remove the remainder of the residue. With some new 3M tape strategically place on the emblem it now matched the emblem on the rear hatch.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

bump