Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/)
-   -   1ZZ/2ZZ Engine Scion xD (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/1zz-2zz-engine-scion-xd-110726/)

GTRasta 08-07-2007 03:13 PM

1ZZ/2ZZ Engine Scion xD

Just to let you guys know...I'm about 99% sure it's possible to drop in a 140 hp 1ZZ engine, or a 180 hp 2ZZ engine into your engine bay. Both of these are 1.8 Liter Toyota engines as well from the Corolla, Matrix, Celica, and MR2-Spyder. Although they're not at Honda/Nissan status, these engines have LIGHT YEARS more aftermarket than the engines in your car.

When your aftermarket develops and you show guys are interested in turbos, standalone ECU's, & other stuff...I suggest doing the 2ZZ upgrade and putting built up Hondas to shame :) . This mod will basically be the Toyota version of the K series swapped Fits that have been featured in tuner magazines ever since the Fit came out. With a swap and bolt ons...you guys would be a low 14 second car. Add nitrous, you'll be a high 13 second car easy.

If anybody's interested, Boosted2.0 or lilrocketspyder over at newcelica.org will be the guys to ask. They're loaded with Toyota tech info. Lilrocketspyder was one of the first people to stick in 2ZZ engines into the 1ZZ powered MR2-Spyders, along with creating swap kits. And Boosted2.0 created a custom harness kit to run our 03-05 drive-by-wire Celica GTS's off of our Apexi Power FC standalone ECU that was only meant for the throttle wire 00-02 GTS's! Just throwing this out there to those with deep pockets to add on to this cheap tuner car.

its_ikon 08-07-2007 07:13 PM

it would be an absolute waste of money to take a new car and swap an engine into it.

Kremtok 08-07-2007 09:20 PM

Here we go with the engine swaps!

Bottom line for anyone considering any type of engine swap: Yes, it can be done. It's just a matter of how much money you want to spend. The thing is, most of us just aren't interested in spending $80 000 on a $15 000 car.

GTRasta 08-14-2007 07:33 AM

I just came back from my vacation and have just read the few comments posted in the thread.

1) It was just a suggestion for car show/sleeper builder guys, similar to the K20 Honda Fit swapped owners. If I'm not mistaken, innovation and uniqueness is what the Scion brand is all about.

2) The engine SHOULD bolt right in. 2zz swaps for the 1zz powered MR2-Spyder can now be bolted right in for UNDER $6,000 (NOT $80,000), and this includes the cost of the 6 speed transmission. Once somebody gets 2zz swapped first, the resulting kits and ECU solution will trickle down with lower prices.

3) We're not talking about sticking in a 2JZ-GTE in there. Get a grip.

4) Spending extra money on a new and cheap car for a ton of extra performance right out the bat is the classic Mazda Miata formula. And you've seen how long this car has lasted to the public.

its_ikon 08-14-2007 07:34 PM

GTRasta: you're young and have a lot to learn about the world of cars.

GTRasta 08-17-2007 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by ikonXone

Thanks. I'll remember that when my friend parts out his greddy supercharger setup to me after he gets his new car, finishes teaching me how to tune it, and when I finish emulating a build to that of another Celica owner's high 12 second GTS.

Based on your response, I've concluded that the xA and xD will be nothing more than people carriers that won't enjoy the spotlight in the tuner world like the xB and tC will. If you don't think your transmission was some variation of the C56 transmissions that was matted to the previous 140 hp 1zz engines that were in the Corolla and the Matrix...let me know...because those are compatable to the 2zz as well.

Good day.

toyoda 08-18-2007 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ikonXone

I secong GTRasta, Scion is all about uniqueness and modifications. A engine swap especially with a 2ZZ is hardly a $80,000 swap. Im sure it can be done for less than 10. And for the amount of power you would gain and still maintain that Toyota reliability it would be worth it.
In your defense there are car buyers who buy a car only for point A to point B driving, and that is fine too. But don't down talk the people who enjoy tunning their cars to their personality.

its_ikon 08-18-2007 09:59 PM

of course scion is about being unique, but why waste 10k for an engine swap to have a sub par car and engine. the 2zz is not exactly the best engine performance wise. after the 10k you would spend you would up with a 25-26k car which has no value when you could get a better car performance wise for that money stock.

YourNameHere 08-18-2007 10:04 PM

wow..you guys are nuts. this guy is giving you info and your _____ing about it! the xB1 guys are drooling over any idea of a motorswap.

and some explain to me how an engine swap would cost 80k when the the car that i came from was under 20k new?!

you could et an engine out of wrecked celica GTS for less than grand. believe me i looked into it.

Kremtok 08-19-2007 06:26 AM

Here's the thing, that number that you all have been complaining about - $80 000 - I pulled it out of my bum. That's right, it was totally made up. See the following for an explanation:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hyperbole

Now that we've got the language issue worked out, let's focus on the point that remains. If you want to put any engine at all in the xD, go right ahead and do it. I, for one, will applaud your efforts and congratulate you on your astounding success.

However, you must understand that we see rather too many folks come onto this forum with similar aspirations that turn out to be no more than fools who have little to no idea what they are talking about, much less how to implement their grand plans. Therefore, please don't take it as an insult when we suggest that you show us, rather than tell us, or when we simply shrug off your latest attempt to impress us as mere banter. Really, it's not personal.

GTRasta 09-01-2007 06:37 AM

I just remembered this thread I posted.

1) I already provided the method to get this swap done. Lilrocket from www.newcelica.org or www.spyderchat.com was the person who created a kit to have the 2zz become swapped into the 1zz powered MR2-Spyders.

2) Their 2zz MR2-Spyder swap costs at around $6,000 WITH the 6 speed transmission upgrade. All you guys need to do is figure out a ECU solution, and a way to have the 6 speed installed to make the most use of the powerband.

3) Lilrocket also mated a SMT drivetrain MR2-Spyder with the Apexi Power FC standalone ECU by creating a special harness to make it run parallel with the stock ECU. Basically, the stock ECU runs everything but the engine, and the engine is being run by the most used 2zz standalone ECU made for our cars. So he could figure out a ECU solution should a test car come to him, even a standalone one at that.

4) The 2zz can see 200+ whp with I/H/E, cams, and a tune. The 2zz can rev past 9,000 rpm safely with head and oil pump upgrades. The 2zz can see 220-235 whp with a non-intercooled greddy supercharger retrofit, and 250+ whp when you add water injection and upgrade to a 10 lb pulley from the 8 psi pulley. The 2zz saw 400+ whp stock, tested by the guys from www.monkeywrenchracing.com . The most powerful 2zz right now is the same monkeywrench racing GTS I mentioned, which is currently making 550 whp. And for icing on the cake, TRD already made 700+ hp with the 2zz for Chris Rado's Celica before he turned it down to build the more powerful Tacoma/Tundra (?) engine. As you can see, the 2zz can beat, or at least equal the Acura Integra GSR B18 motor's performance in all criteria.

Now I gave you how and why. I'm personally shooting to become a high 12 second car with just the $2,800 greddy s/c kit, a $400 methanol kit, and a 10 psi pulley upgrade. You guys wouldn't want this type of performance at all? Boosting cheap cars for extra performance out of the box is the classic Miata formula, and you've seen how well they've done.

toyoda 09-01-2007 02:59 PM

Nice post

its_ikon 09-01-2007 03:53 PM

sure it can be done, but my point is why on a new car? you can try and be different, but if you are looking for performance then an xd with a swap is not that way to go. if you have 6k to spend of loose money they put that down on a far superior performance car or build up a used performance car. you can get an older mr2 and rebuild the 3sgte or get a gc suby and swap that with a sti motor cheaper then swapping a sub par 2zz into an xd.

toyoda 09-01-2007 04:31 PM

Yes, but it wont look like an xD. There is a point of having a new car that is different from other ones like it.

offroadinfrontier 09-01-2007 05:16 PM

to each his own and all, but personally I'd take that extra 6K and buy a Z32 TT, or something simmilar. But then again I'm a 2-car kinda guy (i like my daily driver and a sports car to be seperate, depending on my mood)

jct 09-01-2007 05:37 PM

just drop in a 3ZR-FAE 2.0L and take out the 2ZR-FE 1.8L

TheUglyOne 09-01-2007 10:58 PM

This is all he is saying in a nutshell

A) Buying the motor (2k+)
B) Taking out your motor (At least a day of your time)
C) Fabricating the wiring so that it all connects properly and/or buying a new wiring harness.
D) PUtting in your motor
E) supercharge/turbocharging it (2k+)
F)Upgrading your ECU and tuning it. (Probably about another 700 depending on the shop)

This is ALOT more work then it's worth. Unless you know how to rip out engines and tune cars this is not what you should do. IMHO this is a very stupid idea.

offroadinfrontier 09-01-2007 11:46 PM

vg30dett, anyone?

GTRasta 09-02-2007 05:57 AM

I suggested this for show car builders.

It's a stupid idea if you don't know the right people. But not only did I point out the right people, I listed their credentials.

As I said, this will be comparable to the popular K series swap that's currently going in many Honda Fits. It's mainly meant for a show car builder that wants to be unique, and who wants a decently fast car in the process. I understand it's not for the average joe. But this would net a lot of attention and sponsorships if done right. But I guess this will just be a people carrier afterall...what a shame. You'll be the only 1.8 Liter Toyota made car that will never experience the 2zz.

offroadinfrontier 09-02-2007 07:15 AM

you say popular swap... i say niche market.