Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New to this forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:01 AM

Default New to this forum

My dad bought an 08 XD brand new a couple years ago. 5speed, alloys, tint, actually looks really nice. I learned to drive 5speed on this car. We are up to 110k miles since he got it. His water pump just went out and the shop he took it too(my dad thought it was the alternator bearing) said that the water pump is a $1000 job, and requires a motor pull? Really? for a water pump?

anyway...long story short, The warantee from the dealership is lifetime so it will be covered, but I just could not believe the water pump required so much labor. Dumb design if you ask me.

are the water pumps common problems on this model? And is there a list on the forum of all the recalls or common problems with these cars?

Im new to this forum, but not new to forums in general so thanks guys for all the imput!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the water pumps going out is common yea. i dont know the extent of service required for them to replace it however. its not under recall either. as for a recall list, i dont have one. i always make the dealer check for new ones when i take it in.

welcome to the forums btw ;)
Old 11-13-2011, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the reply,

He's also getting that common 3rd gear grind that I've heard you guys talking about. We've done the tranny flush on time and it didn't help. I'm the one who gets all the service done.

The dealership he bought the car from gave him a lifetime wars tee on the drivetrain of the car. I.E. Engine, transmission. As long as he keeps his service records. So since it's been mostly dealership maintained they will have to replace it under waranty. The wanted pump is specifically listed as a lifetime part under his waranty.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

must be nice. mine is running out soon (bought used and its under factory warranty still). the pump is such a common thing though that someone who was out of warranty still got it done for free. guess toyota doesnt want even more on their hands lol.

never had issues with my 3rd gear, though that does remind me i need to do up my fluids soon.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM

Yeah stay on it. It's so bad that when it's cold you have to skip 3rd.lol

The tranny service isnt too expensive. $80 if I remember correctly.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xdpro

anyway...long story short, The warantee from the dealership is lifetime so it will be covered, but I just could not believe the water pump required so much labor. Dumb design if you ask me.

Im new to this forum, but not new to forums in general so thanks guys for all the imput!

Hey welcome...What dealership offers a lifetime warranty on Toyota/scions? and what exactly is cover under that warranty? I'm in the market for a used Camry SE 3.5 and this caught my eye...Thanks!

I think at one point Team Toyota around my way was offering a lifetime warranty on engines only...
Old 11-14-2011, 12:25 AM

Locally, it's Mark Jacobson Toyota/scion