Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/)
-   -   "Airbag On" light (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/airbag-light-195724/)

Icepik 11-12-2010 11:50 PM

"Airbag On" light

Sorry guys...

Swbari00 11-13-2010 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Icepik (Post 3721974)
Just today I noticed that when I would have an adult passenger in the up front passenger seat, the "Airbag On" light, just beneath the radio, would come on and remain on during driving. Once the passenger got out of the car, motor running, the light would go out. What's going on here? My resetting the maintenance notification light would not have caused this would it?

Pretty sure that is how it is supposed to work. There are sensors in the passenger seat that sense when someone is in the seat. When someone is in the seat, the airbag is turned on. When the seat is empty, the airbag is turned off.

Icepik 11-13-2010 02:24 AM

xx xx

Icepik 11-13-2010 02:32 AM

xx xx

pyroman131 11-13-2010 03:06 AM

That's normal. My xB does that.

When a certain weight sits in the passenger seat, the airbag switches on. When there is no weight in the seat, the airbag switches off.

That feature is there so that if you are in an accident and there is a passenger in the front seat with you, then that airbag will be deployed to protect the passenger.

If there is not a passenger, it is not deployed in an accident. It saves you extra money when it comes time to re-stuff the deployed airbags (provided your vehicle is not declared totaled). Not sure how much it costs for our Scions, but years ago when my sister was in a car accident with her Kia Sephia, it cost $500 per airbag to re-stuff it and get it setup again. Granted, it was covered by the insurance, but that is absurdly high.

Swbari00 11-13-2010 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Icepik (Post 3722044)
No, that can't be right. It is a given that the car is equipped with airbags...and it is a given that when an adult or person of the proper weight is in the seat that the airbag will be on. When a friend's 7 yr. old daughter sits in the front passenger seat, a light comes on to let you know that the airbag is not on...and that is when you would expect such a light...but not to come on to let you know that it is on when in fact it SHOULD be on.

The light says "Airbag On", wouldn't make much sense for a light that says "Airbag On" to light up when the airbag is off.

Icepik 11-13-2010 02:10 PM

xx
xx

Icepik 11-13-2010 02:14 PM

xx xx

mixD 11-13-2010 02:22 PM

This is standard for toyota my newer tocoma has the same feature when you sit in the seat it will turn on the seat belt and air bag light stating they are on. if a young child were to sit in the seat the seatbelt light will come on but the airbag will not turn on due to the height of someone of that weight so it is a safety thing. so pretty much the air bag will not be on on the passanger side unless someone of the correct weight range is sitting in the seat that why it tells you it is on because normaly it is not

Icepik 11-13-2010 02:23 PM

ss ss

jnaval 11-13-2010 03:43 PM

It was also explained in your manual.

mcbrew 12-11-2010 01:48 AM

As mixd said, it is so that the airbag does not deploy when a person below a certain weight is in the front seat -- basically a little kid. If a kid is sitting there, you want to know that the airbag is not armed. There is a calibration procedure for the weight sensor in the seat, but you only need to do that if it doesn't work the way the manual says it should.