Check Engine and Traction Control Light both came on - Scionlife.com

Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Old 02-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #1  

Default Check Engine and Traction Control Light both came on

I have a 2011 Scion xD the Check Engine and the Traction Control Off Light came on.

What's wrong and what do I do?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-28-2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Moderator
Tkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:49 PM   #2  
SL Member

When did they come on?

If the engine light came on, then you can scan the code. That will give you an idea what is wrong. But first, check your fuses.
DAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #3  

It came on on my way home from work today... took the batterie cable off for about 10 mins like someone told me to now it won't start
Old 03-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #4  

How do I check the fuses? I'm a girl and know nothing about cars
Old 03-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #5  
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkirk View Post
How do I check the fuses?
How to Check Fuses (with Pictures)

Quote:
I have a 2011 Scion xD the Check Engine and the Traction Control Off Light came on. What's wrong and what do I do?
10 Ways to Turn Off The CEL..How To Diagnose Your Check Engine Light For Free

MR_LUV

MR_LUV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #6  
SL Member

If it won't start, then something major is wrong. I assume you re-connected the battery the correct way? You've given so little information, it's really impossible to have ANY idea what might be wrong. If something as basic as checking your fuses is a completely unknown experience to you, then you really have zero chance in fixing whatever is wrong yourself. You should go ahead and have it towed to a mechanic.

BTW, whoever told you to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes is a moron, and should be ignored for repair advice in the future.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #7  
SL Member

So, I had my VSC and ABS lights come on last month. At times, the lights would go off for a few minutes, but when I used the brake, the ABS would sometimes act 'squirrely', so I pulled the ABS fuse until I had time to check it out on the weekend. This left the VSC, ABS AND brake lights on the dash on; very annoying.

So, the weekend came around, and I pulled the battery so that I could get to the plug for the ABS module. checked all the leads with my multi-meter, but found no problems with any of the sensors. Not sure what is the problem now? Wheel speed module?? So, I decided to check the sensors on each wheel, to see if there was anything visibly wrong.

When I got to my left rear, I noticed that it was awfully soft; below 10 psi. I pumped the tire up, and voila!, the lights went out! I'd decided last year that spending $350 on TPMS sensors was just too much, so I went without them, utilizing a piece of electrical tape to cover the light on the dash. Seems I picked up a small nail in that tire.

So, long story short, the VSC and the ABS are sensitive enough that a very soft tire will make them inoperable.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:41 AM   #8  
SL Member

Default Really?

Being a girl has nothing to do with anything. I'm a girl and i fix and do basic maintenance on my car myself. I change my own oil, spark plugs you name it. Please don't use that as an excuse, it gives others the impression that just because I am a female I am helpless and know nothing about cars.

Quote:
How do I check the fuses? I'm a girl and know nothing about cars
Sqwkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:32 PM   #9  
SL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwkr View Post
Being a girl has nothing to do with anything. I'm a girl and i fix and do basic maintenance on my car myself. I change my own oil, spark plugs you name it. Please don't use that as an excuse, it gives others the impression that just because I am a female I am helpless and know nothing about cars.
FWIW, ain't getting the plugs out in an xD a pain in the ***?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-16-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #10  
SL Member

Yes!!! I had a couple extensions (for my ex's truck) but they weren't the right size so I had to buy 2 smaller ones lol. It was such a pain.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #11  
SL Member

I used my long extension, which would uncrew the plugs, but not hold them, so I fished them out with a 1' length of heater hose.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:18 AM   #12  
SL Member

Heater hose? Never would of thought of that. Yeah I used my long one to unscrew them then 2 shorter ones to pull it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlex View Post
I used my long extension, which would uncrew the plugs, but not hold them, so I fished them out with a 1' length of heater hose.