Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (xD)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pursued the maganaflow exhaust (etrailer didn't call me, I called them) and all I got was shrugs and "I don't know". When I called Magnaflow and asked them why their suppliers would have it available to buy with no idea of release, he said he didn't know, and that he wouldn't pay for one and have them sit on your money. He said they would make it available 30 days prior to production, which is. . . . . . . . . . ...... I don't know.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

See... Doesn't exist...

Hasn't existed... Ever...
Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Axkeback Magnaflow.

http://precisionmuffler.com/id160.htm

I ordered and got the baby in a few days

It's REALLY SWEET. I can feel the powerband change and the motor is noticably better pulling at over 2 grand till 6+ and it revs much quicker. That is to say, it now takes less time to go from 2000 RPM to 6000 RPM with the same load. I have a manual trans and it makes things sooooooooo much nicer. The freeway drone is minimal, as long as you're not letting the hammer down... light throttle pressure, and the sound is very good. WOT makes a loud statement..... :>)

Took all of 8 minutes to Jack up, install it, and put away the tools !!!

I'm glad I got it! Tell em the guy from Hawaii said it was good.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it looks and sounds good, but I was hoping for the cat back exhaust. Still nice.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could someone please explain to me why going to a shop and getting custom exhaust is not a good idea?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's nothing wrong with custom exhaust. You may have it done or bent anyway you want, but the appeal of a cat back system is that it is stainless steel, all shiny, and new. I've had friends that got custom exhaust and for the most part were happy with it, but one had problems with the way it hung and rattled. For the most part he just wanted a shiny professional looking and functioning piece of hardware. That's kind of what I'm looking for as well. Custom exhaust is cheaper to do, and you can do it however.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Guys I've got a little bit of news!

O'Reilly just started selling Magnaflow exhaust in their stores, and in the new '09-'10 catalog they sent us it has the xD exhaust listed! Sorry for being a downer about it before, but if I get the chance to I'm going to call them today and get as much information as I can about it.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, it seems like the xD would like the exhaust opened up a little, yeah? I've never been to a shop to get a custom exhaust, so excuse my ignorance, but what kind of shop do you go to? A run-of-the-mill muffler shop? Some specialty performance shop? Is it worth replacing the cat, or just everything from there back? I'm not interested in adding a lot of performance... I'm more interested in fuel economy. A little performance boost would be okay with me, though!

This is my first car with a gasoline engine... I've been a diesel guy all my life. When you open up the intake and exhaust on a normally aspirated gasser, what can one expect in regards to EGTs? I tow trailers quite often and don't want to burn anything up.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sorry guys, Magnaflow is definatly a fail..

Talked to three different reps today, the furthest I got was hearing "Its still in the early development stage, it may be up to a year before it is released"
Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeathMachine
Sorry guys, Magnaflow is definatly a fail..

Talked to three different reps today, the furthest I got was hearing "Its still in the early development stage, it may be up to a year before it is released"
Damn, no love for our xD's...Such a shame too...
Old 07-31-2009, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just keep an ear to the ground and hope. I just dropped the money I had set back for the cat-back on gps, and checked the forums. When I saw this forum update, and that the release of the cat-back was here. I almost started cursing at the screen. Maybe they will release before the year is up, or maybe they don't like money.

mcbrew
As for the custom exhaust almost any muffler shop that bends their own tubes should be able to make what ever you want. Go with a bigger diameter tube (2.25 or 2.5 inch) or whatever you like. Eliminate some of the bends. You don't need to replace the cat, but if you wanted a high flow cat they sell those as well. If you race off road (like a track) you might be able to flange before and after the cat, so you can put a flanged straight pipe where the cat is when you race. Because of emissions you can't have a car without a cat on the road so come emissions time .... errr uh when get back to regular roads you can put the flanged cat back in.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nateson, thanks for the info. I'm not really interested in racing or getting around emissions. This is actually the first car I have owned that has to get emissions tested... all my other cars were diesel and were exempt. I am primarily interested in fuel economy and maybe a little more power. I don't want it to be loud. I don't have any extra cash right now, so I have plenty of time to look into my options.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi, I hate to give false hope, but this looks promising. The model number for the cat back is 16798, and when you check the availability you get this. http://www.magnaflow.com/checkInvent...catalogid=7177
Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WHOOOPS!
Magnaflow website: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ayproducts.asp
search for 2008 scion xd... voila!
THEN...
click on the part number for a lil more info...
Where it says buy online, i clicked that and got a list of 'Authorized vendors' and began searching each. MagnaflowPlus.com says it has it! See Below!

BUT IT HERE: http://www.magnaflowplus.com/ShowIte...aust%20Kit.asp

***EDIT** Ok I thought I found something special, then read through page one. Would love to see what would happen though if i actually had 700 bucks laying around and plunked down an order for one. Just to reiterate, I'm aware i found NOTHING special. lol

Last edited by Bender_xD; 08-04-2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: re-read thread
Old 02-07-2010, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bwhite
http://precisionmuffler.com/id160.htm

I ordered and got the baby in a few days

It's REALLY SWEET. I can feel the powerband change and the motor is noticably better pulling at over 2 grand till 6+ and it revs much quicker. That is to say, it now takes less time to go from 2000 RPM to 6000 RPM with the same load. I have a manual trans and it makes things sooooooooo much nicer. The freeway drone is minimal, as long as you're not letting the hammer down... light throttle pressure, and the sound is very good. WOT makes a loud statement..... :>)

Took all of 8 minutes to Jack up, install it, and put away the tools !!!

I'm glad I got it! Tell em the guy from Hawaii said it was good.
I am happy to hear that you are happy with your axle back!! :D :D :D

Guys, we here at PrecisionMuffler.com have the best axle back out there for ya and it comes with the hardware needed to install it. We personally tested these axle backs on show cars before we even marketed it. Its a great tone and gives the performance to get you on your way.

Purchase it here:
http://www.precisionmuffler.com/id160.htm

Name:  shop5137.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  53.7 KB

Last edited by Stylis; 02-07-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What size is the inlet to the muffler and what size is the piping going to it?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
This, for me it has come down to between the precision unit and a DC Sports catback.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
2.25 inch.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have had both a custom magnaflow and currenty have the dcsports... both sound awsome... gabe at precision muffler makes a very nice product sounds mean. dc sports is a little loud when you get on it but sounds good
Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by misformartin
i have had both a custom magnaflow and currenty have the dcsports... both sound awsome... gabe at precision muffler makes a very nice product sounds mean. dc sports is a little loud when you get on it but sounds good
As someone who has experience with both units which would you recommend? If you could do it all over would you buy one from precision instead of DC Sports?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (xD)