Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/)
-   -   Transmission troubles? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/transmission-troubles-216737/)

jenkay 07-31-2012 04:19 PM

Transmission troubles?

08 Scion XD automatic... I drive about 100 miles per day (no traffic, very few stops).

I'm at about 91k miles. I've noticed that every now and then, there's a delay in acceleration, and when it does kick in there is a bit of a jerk. Usually it's when I'm going around 40MPH and trying to accelerate to 60MPH. It never happens when I'm accelerating from a complete stop. I've only really noticed it on the highway.

It doesn't happen often, but I'm worried that the transmission's about to take a dump on me. I have not changed the ATF per the dealer's recommendation. I plan on changing it at 100k.

I don't know much about cars, but I'm scared. Thing isn't even paid off yet! :cry:

Ideas?

melna8 07-31-2012 05:13 PM

The key is to change it before it becomes a problem to avoid being stuck on the side of the street.

jenkay 07-31-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by melna8 (Post 4042256)
The key is to change it before it becomes a problem to avoid being stuck on the side of the street.

Well like I said I'm just going by what the dealer told me. I even had him check it and smell it to tell me if it needed to be changed. :|

pyroman131 07-31-2012 05:46 PM

REDACTED

KiKaZ-tC 08-01-2012 02:44 AM

Get your 100k maintenance done, change out your ATF and the transmission filter. If problems persist, consider moving forward with changing out the transmission.
Request for the mechanic to check your mounts as well.

jenkay 08-01-2012 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by KiKaZ-tC (Post 4042418)
Get your 100k maintenance done, change out your ATF and the transmission filter. If problems persist, consider moving forward with changing out the transmission.
Request for the mechanic to check your mounts as well.

Ugh, seriously? Any idea how much it'll cost to replace the transmission?

KiKaZ-tC 08-02-2012 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by jenkay (Post 4042676)
Ugh, seriously? Any idea how much it'll cost to replace the transmission?

If you don't want to do your 100k mile maintenance now, at least try changing out the ATF & transmission filter first, also have them check the mounts.
If you do end up having to change your transmission, check
www.car-parts.com
and search for a local salvage yard, I saw a few places local to you that are selling a transmission for $325-$500. Install would cost you about $300. Don't go to the dealer for this, find a reputable mechanic to do this and save yourself some money.
Good luck!

L337R3dN3k 08-05-2012 02:46 AM

I recommend you go ahead and change the ATF. Now, I do NOT recommend a transmission flush. There's a difference. If you go into a service shop and they want to flush your transmission, it means getting every last bit of fluid out of there, and putting fresh in. If you go to a service shop and just have the fluid changed with no flush, they drain out the old fluid and put in new. Yeah, there'll be just a little of the old fluid mixed in, but not enough to cause problems, and it's way cheaper.

Also, I think that Toyota is optimistic about their maintenance intervals sometimes. You really need to change the transmission fluid more than every 100k. I'd recommend changing it about every 50k, and I know people who insist on changing it every 30k.