Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD Quick Shifter Review xD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Default TRD Quick Shifter Review xD

Santa brought me a TRD Quick Shifter for the xD (and installed it!)

The peice is way different in design then the tC shifter was, where the whole shifting assembly was removed and replaced...

This peice actually goes under the hood (WHOO-HOO I have an under the hood modification) http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.ph...&parts_id=1361

Install only took about 10 minutes (that included test drive after installation)!

At first it was REALLY stiff and almost uncomfortable to shift in and out of gears, but after about a week of it being on shifting has become very comfortable, smooth and above all precise! Just makes it a tad more fun to drive.

It's a relativley cheap mod (133.00 from TRD Sparks) and adds to the enjoyability of the car!

2 thumbs up
Old 01-07-2008, 03:02 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

link you gave didn't work... heres a working one :D

http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.ph...&parts_id=1361
Old 01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
link you gave didn't work... heres a working one :D

http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.ph...&parts_id=1361
Thanks!
Not sure what happened to my original link
Old 01-10-2008, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I decided to go with the NST short shifter. Comes in a better material, better price, and 3 color choices. http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNST.htm

heres a 57658768687 good reviews on the same product but for the yaris to get a taste of their quality.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535

I'll be installing mine this weekend.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

i'm a bit of a TRD ***** to some extent ;)
Old 01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
SL Member

I love my NST SSK, as well as all my NST parts, and I am pretty sure everything that fits the Yaris fits the xD as well... but you will have to check with Mike from NST to be sure

I bought the NST SSK over the TRD one because of price and craftsmenship
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 PM

I can vouch for that NST SSK. Good product, easy to install and a bit cheaper than the TRD piece for something that performs the exact same function. Why the hell not go with NST?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how hard is the trd quick shifter to install?
Old 01-12-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by cruztc8
Very easy,like 15 seconds of pulling a cotter pin and then putting it back in with the new piece on top.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cruztc8
Less than a few minutes for most customers. Try the following link for a better idea...

Good luck and have fun with your project!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could some one post pics of the install?

i dont see where this would go or how it would shortin throws. :/

thanks.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XLR8R
could some one post pics of the install?

i dont see where this would go or how it would shortin throws. :/

thanks.
Please try this thread... https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=206836

Old 05-18-2008, 04:30 AM

Default Short Shift Kit

Just installed my SSK from NST yesterday, which took about 15 minutes, which included searching for the washer I dropped in the engine compartment. But kidding aside, this mod *really enhances* the driving experience and even gives the care a different feel. Shifting becomes a joy. There were no problems with gear stiffness from the first shift.

Good Job, NST!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

downfall of trd ssk vs. nst ssk...
the trd is only held on with one pin unlike nst's 2 pin.... i feel much safer with nst after seeing both first hand
Old 07-30-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone done this install? I could not get the U-clips off the bracket holding the transmission cables. I ended up not swapping out the TRD supplied bracket.

Does anyone know how to get off these clips? And what are the problems that might arise not using the TRD bracket?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I was having the same problem. I couldn't get the rear of the shift linkage off. Also the TRD instructions said to get under the car and disconnect something WTF. That NST install is easy as hell.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Here...

I did the TRD job this evening.

Understand that this job has a major part which is missing in the second string upgrade kits. The TRD kit has a significant aluminum alignment plate which replaces a heavy cast iron unit attached to the transmission housing. This plate realigns the shifter cables to reduce friction (and wear) which is otherwise present with a SSK module-only install (NST does not include this significant part).

In addition to the TRD instructions, I ended up removing the battery for additional wrench clearance.

Oddly, I was able to do the whole job from the top down (the TRD instructions directed me to jack the car). I did put the car on ramps and surveyed the situation, but eventually did everything through the hood.

The transmission cable clips need to be rocked left / right while pulled. They also need some weighted tapping to re-install.

To break the bracket bolts free - I used a long armed torque wrench without extender. I was able to pop the bolt - then I used a small doorknob style hand-ratchet to remove the plate bolts.

I understand why the new plate was included in the TRD kit. I am not sure if my impressions of the result are based on this understanding or true reality. My suspicion is that this is a longevity fix (less wear on the shift cable). My subjective feeling is that the shifts are a a bit looser between gears. I also feel like neutral is easier to locate now. Without the plate installed, my impression is that the shift cable binds a bit and sensitivity between gears is compromised.

In retrospect, I am glad I spent a few extra dollars (go to Sparks Toyota) for a complete kit.

If anyone is interested in seeing the extra part and the difference from stock - let me know and I will post.

- David

Originally Posted by cuball
Has anyone done this install? I could not get the U-clips off the bracket holding the transmission cables. I ended up not swapping out the TRD supplied bracket.

Does anyone know how to get off these clips? And what are the problems that might arise not using the TRD bracket?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: Here...

Originally Posted by PHATBLK
I did the TRD job this evening.

Understand that this job has a major part which is missing in the second string upgrade kits. The TRD kit has a significant aluminum alignment plate which replaces a heavy cast iron unit attached to the transmission housing. This plate realigns the shifter cables to reduce friction (and wear) which is otherwise present with a SSK module-only install (NST does not include this significant part).

In addition to the TRD instructions, I ended up removing the battery for additional wrench clearance.

Oddly, I was able to do the whole job from the top down (the TRD instructions directed me to jack the car). I did put the car on ramps and surveyed the situation, but eventually did everything through the hood.

The transmission cable clips need to be rocked left / right while pulled. They also need some weighted tapping to re-install.

To break the bracket bolts free - I used a long armed torque wrench without extender. I was able to pop the two bracket bolts - then I used a small doorknob style hand-ratchet to finish removal.

I understand why the new plate was included in the TRD kit. I am not sure if my impressions of the result are based on this understanding or true reality. My suspicion is that this is a longevity fix (less wear on the shift cable). My subjective feeling is that the shifts are a a bit looser between gears. I also feel like neutral is easier to locate now. Without the plate installed, my impression is that the shift cable binds a bit and sensitivity between gears is compromised.

In retrospect, I am glad I spent a few extra dollars (go to Sparks Toyota) for a complete kit.

If anyone is interested in seeing the extra part and the difference from stock - let me know and I will post.

- David

Originally Posted by cuball

Old 08-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Banned
SL Member

Do a little more research. The NST part is missing a significant cable alignment plate.

3 color choices?! That part is buried under hoses / pipes / cables - what difference does color make!

Originally Posted by IllNist
I decided to go with the NST short shifter. Comes in a better material, better price, and 3 color choices. http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNST.htm

heres a 57658768687 good reviews on the same product but for the yaris to get a taste of their quality.

I'll be installing mine this weekend.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info David. I think your analogy is correct. I've been using this without the plate modification for 2 weeks now. The shifts do seem a bit stiff. I will make the swap and post my comments.

Quick Reply: TRD Quick Shifter Review xD