Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Will an abnormal amount of oil leak if filter is removed while drain pan is full?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Default Will an abnormal amount of oil leak if filter is removed while drain pan is full?

The reason I ask is that I attempted to do an oil change on my 2008 Scion xD yesterday myself for the first time Had the new tool I purchased to remove the filter cap all set to go, only to find out all it did was slip (65mm/67mm). I had already drained the old oil, and realizing I needed a 65mm as the 65/67 wouldn't work, my only option was to put new oil in and head for the auto parts store. Before I change the filter, I wanted to ask those in the know if a regular amount of oil will come out, or am I likely to be deluged. I really hate to lose a full pan of brand spanking new synthetic oil because I didn't have a tool that would work. I know I should have checked the fit first, but what's done is done, I've learned my lesson about that, and now I just need to make it right.

Thanks in advance! Debbie

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2019 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 05-30-2019, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I realize this thread is 5 years old. The remedy for this dilemma is a Shop Vac. Remove the oil filler cap and insert the shop vac hose. Ask a friend to hold it in place (or you can wrap a grease rag around the hose to help hold itself.) Turn on the shop vac and remove the oil filter. You'll hear oil glug inside the engine but oil will NOT get sucked into the Shop Vac. The vacuum will prevent oil from spilling long enough to replace the oil filter. Same process works for oil drain plugs, (if and when you forget to install the crush washer.)