Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/)
-   -   xD engine mods (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/xd-engine-mods-110198/)

Bennyboy 08-02-2007 05:38 PM

xD engine mods

Hey guys, i was initially interested in getting the xA, but after getting used to the look of the xD i've decided to get one of those instead. My question is that when i went to test drive the car at the dealer, sure it had some more umph than the xA, however i wouldn't mind a couple extra ponies. When i popped the hood of the thing it looks as though there would be no room for an intake, at least a SRI. I'm sure the exhaust is not going to be a big deal as far as aftermarket ones. But how many horses is an exhaust going to do on a tiny motor like that. Anyways i was just wondering what you guys think about what Mods are coming out for this car?
Bennyboy
Sorry if this post sounds a little retarded haha

zoltiz 08-02-2007 06:49 PM

Won't be anything worth bothering with. Toyota's been doing a pretty good job on intakes recently, so SRI / CAI and exhaust are mostly a sound mod :)

Get lighter wheels - that will make a more noticeable difference.

MrZero 08-02-2007 08:13 PM

unless you go forced induction your not going to see major power out of this engine(at least you wont without spending major money on it) personally I am going to upgrade all of the suspension aspects of the xD and make it handle better ...

now if you just want a little more umph intake, headers, and exhaust are the easiest way to gain a couple of ponies...

zoltiz 08-02-2007 08:17 PM

"a couple" is very accurate ;)

I might call it quits after TRD springs and lighter / slightly wider wheels/tires. something along the lines of 17s with 215/50/17 on them.

MrZero 08-02-2007 08:30 PM

upgrading NA isnt worth it in my opinion... you'll spend 300 on an intake, 500 on headers, and another 500 for a full exhaust... so your looking at 1300 in parts(not including installs) and youll only gain about 15-20 horse.... where as you could spend a couple grand on a turbo/supercharger set up and gain 100 horse... plus you will still have tons of more things you could do to make it faster....

a quick example, an intake on my NA 240sx gained 3 horse, where as upping the boost 10psi on my turbo 240sx gained me almost 90 horse... the intake cost $250, the boost controller $90...

my xD will only be for looks and the twisties...

my 2 cents

offroadinfrontier 08-03-2007 03:30 AM

i think the problem he is pointing out (like a few others have) is the complete lack of space under the engine for the forced induction mods... is there even a slight possibility if a small turbo or sc fitting under there?

the Yaris might only have a 1.5, but i've read of people (mainly in other countries) fittin turbos and sc's under there. im worried that with the added height of the 1.8L and dual VVT-i, toyota has scrapped any chance of forced induction with the xD.

FLINT 08-04-2007 11:03 PM

aight, i got 3 things for yal that i noticed

1- there is PLENTY of room for a cold air intake with a bypass. just move the wires out of the way. when i did that, my hand touched the back of the air duct cap.

2- it looks like a stage 0 turbo would bearly fit, but all the heat would go right to the fire wall. im sure a compact Blitz SC (xa xb) would do just fine.

3- wait for more engine mods to come out so u can NA the heck out of it. this would b Soooo SLEEEPY!

please keep in mind that test driving a auto xd is way different than a manual if your lookin for more power response benny.

FLINT 08-04-2007 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by MrZero
upgrading NA isnt worth it in my opinion... you'll spend 300 on an intake, 500 on headers, and another 500 for a full exhaust... so your looking at 1300 in parts(not including installs) and youll only gain about 15-20 horse.... where as you could spend a couple grand on a turbo/supercharger set up and gain 100 horse... plus you will still have tons of more things you could do to make it faster....

a quick example, an intake on my NA 240sx gained 3 horse, where as upping the boost 10psi on my turbo 240sx gained me almost 90 horse... the intake cost $250, the boost controller $90...

my 2 cents

your 240 is a apples to oranges comparison. :no:
there is more to going NA than trying to make it faster than FI. plus u need to add a few more things to your list playa. :eyebrow:
NA power to weight ratio for the xd would = an all out Beast for its class. please keep a speed catagory in mind b4 making these types of assessments.

Bennyboy 08-05-2007 12:09 AM

Hey guys i actually picked up a xD today. I'm actually waiting at the dealer right now as they are installing the Satelite Radio. I'll try my best to get pics up tonight. I've been really busy today so far. O and i got the automatic. My mom is going to drive the car. I just wanted to squeeze a few ponies out of the car. I"ll keep you guys updated
Benny

captainlaziness 08-05-2007 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by offroadinfrontier
i think the problem he is pointing out (like a few others have) is the complete lack of space under the engine for the forced induction mods... is there even a slight possibility if a small turbo or sc fitting under there?

the Yaris might only have a 1.5, but i've read of people (mainly in other countries) fittin turbos and sc's under there. im worried that with the added height of the 1.8L and dual VVT-i, toyota has scrapped any chance of forced induction with the xD.

Three words: rear mount turbo. :p

MrZero 08-05-2007 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by FLINT

Originally Posted by MrZero

my 2 cents

your 240 is a apples to oranges comparison. :no:
there is more to going NA than trying to make it faster than FI. plus u need to add a few more things to your list playa. :eyebrow:
NA power to weight ratio for the xd would = an all out Beast for its class. please keep a speed catagory in mind b4 making these types of assessments.

the point I am getting at is that boosting the xD will be a little more cost effective...

and what things are you talking about? fuel management? so what? an safcII and some dyno time... stock injectors might not be efficient enough, but thats part of the whole turboing a non turbo car... personally I would prefer to spend an extra 4grand on turboing than spending 4g's and going NA...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2454369

FLINT 08-06-2007 03:17 PM

:eyebrow:
port polish
pulleys
:blah: :blah:
cams
gears
fuel pump
:blah: :blah:
rods
pistons? depends on the thickness of the engine wall :blah: :blah: :blah: :eyebrow:

MrZero 08-06-2007 05:37 PM

Ok, is that a listing of parts for going NA, or is that a list of supporting mods for going turbo?
Cause I am sure the stock internals can handle 5 lbs of boost...

xBster 08-07-2007 03:27 AM

It seemed to me when I looked under the hood, there was plenty of room for a short ram....it would just be really short...

FLINT 08-09-2007 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by xBster
It seemed to me when I looked under the hood, there was plenty of room for a short ram....it would just be really short...

yea, but bang for buck would be cold air. i wouldnt pay 190 for a 8.5in ram that would suck in more heat from the left headlight and the engine :nope:

bbcxb2 08-09-2007 02:11 PM

as if the 'cold' air doesn't suffer from heat soak

The SRI is more throttle responsive IMO than the CAI....