Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/)
-   -   xD oil change (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/xd-oil-change-123726/)

PeteF 12-31-2007 03:13 PM

xD oil change

Anyone done their own oil change on the xD? It has an oil cartridge not a filter and I want to make sure I have the right cartridge location.

SpoonKiller 12-31-2007 03:42 PM

An oil cartridge? Weird, do you have a picture?

PeteF 12-31-2007 05:59 PM

xD oil change

I don't have a picture. The cartridge costs about 5 dollars at my local dealer. I am going to purchase one today, and try to install it. There is a cylinder next to the oil pan with a plastic top that looks like it houses the cartridge. Before I touch anything I would like to know if this is the right location. If I find out anything at the dealer I will post it later with a picture.

SpoonKiller 12-31-2007 06:08 PM

Thanks for the info Pete, I'm no where near my first oil change so I haven't had a chance to jack up the car and take a peek. If you get a chance please ask your parts guy what size drain bolt they use, I want to replace the drain bolt with a suredrain or fumitomo valve to make oil changes a snap.

PeteF 12-31-2007 08:55 PM

I'm having trouble putting the image of the cartridge on this page. It's a typical pleated cartridge about 2 inches in diameter and about 2 inches tall. It comes with a new O ring and detailed installation instructions on the box . Looks like no problem. It's a lot less trash to go into the dump. The part number is 04152-YZZA6. The part was $4.50. I'll let you know how it goes. I like to change my own oil because I've had so many problems with the techs. The first two oil changes are free at 5 and 10 thousand, but I like to change my oil every 2500 miles.
Car sales in general are dipping and they are probably trying to make money on parts like this and the transmission oil you have to buy from them.

SpoonKiller 12-31-2007 09:24 PM

Hey Pete, totally agree with you, I don't think I'll even take advantage of the two free oil changes, it's far easier to do it in the garage and I just hate dealing with dealerships.

Keep us updated on how it goes, I've never dealt with a cartridge, all my cars get Mobil1 oil and filter so this cartridge thing will be a new one for me. I do like the price :)

** Found the drain bolt size is 12mm-1.25. You may want to get a SureDrain SD3 or Fumoto Valve to make oil changes that much easier.

PeteF 12-31-2007 09:50 PM

xD oil change

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how things go in the future. It's actually my sons car. He loves it. He should be the one changing the oil ; ). Safe driving.....

Stupidhaole 01-15-2008 03:55 AM

Pete, thanks for the part number. I'm already at 10k and cant get in for my free service anytime soon so I did the second change myself. Toyota wanted $8.00 for one filter and another $70.00 for their SST used to remove the cartridge casing. I found an oil filter wrench that fit perfectly...
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...keyword=endcap
Hope this helps anyone else that is due for a change.

Andyman 01-17-2008 05:28 AM

Thanks for posting about the cartridge - I wasn't aware of that. I'll probably let the dealer do my first 2 free, but then I'll definitely be doing my own. After searching around a little, it seems like Toyota is going the cartridge direction with other models too. I wonder when/if the cartridges will become available aftermarket? Though $4.50 from the dealer doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Anyway, in my searches, I found a magazine article (link to pdf) that talks a little about the xD/new Corolla engine, including a drawing of the oil pan/filter assembly. So from this it looks like the drain plug is built right into the cartridge housing, so oil changes will be even easier. Right? Here's the picture:
https://i181.photobucket.com/albums/...efilterref.jpg

Hope this is helpful, and thanks again for the heads-up on the oil filter,
Andy

azepolyn 01-17-2008 05:07 PM

looks like a mess to me ... I'll have to poke around under the car this weekend, see if I can find this cartridge. I'm just curious to see it now

Andyman 01-17-2008 05:32 PM

Oops, that photo I posted is of their V6 engine, not the 1.4L 4. I assume the idea is the same, though?

Also, regarding the quick drain plug, I think my previous assumption about negated time savings might be wrong. If you have to remove the plug to drain the oil before removing the "filter cap subassembly", maybe the quick drain valve would be a nice option to reduce hassles and messes. I'm already really liking the idea of draining oil right into a container, instead of into a pan and then trying to pour that into a container...
And after looking at both the Fumoto and SureDrain, I think the former looks sturdier and more reliable. Has anyone used both? Spoonkiller? I'll probably be getting a couple (xD and Vibe) before my next oil change.
Andy

jct 01-17-2008 08:03 PM

the 1.8 oil filter is mounted on its side on the back side of the oil pan on the passenger side, i didn't really study it close enought to see any drain plug for the oil filter :?

Stupidhaole 01-18-2008 03:25 AM

There is still a standard drain bolt on the pan.
Also, if anyone can help me with this...

Just did an oil change and tried to reset the maintenance required light.

1. ODO selected on the multi function display
2. Turn key to OFF position
3. Hold down button while turning it to ON position.
4. ODO SHOULD go to zero and back to actual mileage after 5 seconds.

Nothing happens until I let go of the button and it reads "5 - on" or "S - on". I'm not sure what this is. I can toggle this off by pressing button again, but the maintenance light stays on. Any ideas?

SLODEANIS 01-19-2008 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Stupidhaole

Nothing happens until I let go of the button and it reads "5 - on" or "S - on". I'm not sure what this is. I can toggle this off by pressing button again, but the maintenance light stays on. Any ideas?

I figured the S-On, S-Off....It allows you to disable the needles on the gauges cluster to swing to their max positions when you start the car. That's it.

Stupidhaole 01-19-2008 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by SLODEANIS

I figured the S-On, S-Off....It allows you to disable the needles on the gauges cluster to swing to their max positions when you start the car. That's it.

Thanks... at least that makes sense now. Any idea why it wont reset the maintenance 5000 mile light for me? I'll try to make time to get to the dealer next week if I can't figure it out.

nickfury33 01-20-2008 02:17 AM

Oil Filter Wrench

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/...erWrench12.jpg

This is a picture of the filter wrench thats used. Before buying make sure you check the size to make sure it will fit. Also the first time unscrewing it, its very tight. So be gentle with it.

speedoguy 03-05-2008 10:18 PM

does anyone know how to reset the maintenance req light ? the instructions in the book are wrong

Stupidhaole 03-06-2008 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by speedoguy
does anyone know how to reset the maintenance req light ? the instructions in the book are wrong

1. Trip A instead of ODO selected on the multi function display
4. Trip A will go to zero and back to actual mileage after 5 seconds.

speedoguy 03-06-2008 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by speedoguy

1. Trip A instead of ODO selected on the multi function display
4. Trip A will go to zero and back to actual mileage after 5 seconds.

sweet, i'll try it when i get home, thanks

SpoonKiller 05-03-2008 12:11 AM

Doing my first change now, does anyone have the torque specs for the drain plug and the filter?