Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xD Water pump replacement

Old 09-15-2012, 07:06 PM

It took me 1 hour without a manual or previous experience to pull it. I am ordering one on-line right now and will replace it when it comes in. I will go to Toyota on Monday to see if they'll cut me a deal on one because of TSB 0048-09. Won't hurt to ask.
If anyone quoted me $1,800 to do this job, I would assume they were rebuilding the entire engine. That is ridiculous. I would fly out to where ever you are with water pump in hand and replace it tomorrow for half that price.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 PM

My 2009 Scion xd water pump seized (locked up) yesterday, the belt broke today. After it seized up, the belt burned and broke. The engine light turned on, battery light turned on, lucky I could drive to a local shop before it overheat.

Before the belt broke, I would hear this sweaky eazzy noise, i think it's from the belt moving through the seized water pump. My car has 41k miles on it. If you start hearing any abnormal sweaky noise, you should bring it in to a shop.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed water pump leakage today 67,000mi (2008xd)
Anyone have any luck getting the dealer to replace after warranty????

Also ABS and BRAKE indicator lights are on at the same time (saw the water pump leakage when checking the brake fluid level). Just a coincidence I guess ???
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Service dude ran the VIN for my car and no TSB or recall for waterpump came up, so I had a local mechanic change it out for $240 and hubby got the parts at Toyota. Dealer wanted $860 to do it.
Mechanic said he had to drop the engine a bit to get the replacment pump on.

ABS and brake lights went out on their own. Hopefully it won't come back.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I experienced the failed water pump on my 2009 Xd, was right at 70k miles. Mine happened on a roadtrip and I became stranded in a state I am not from.

Had my insurance road side assistance get me a tow, one of the facilities they had was a Firestone auto. I have bee under a lot of time pressure with work because o this.

My question is, dod anyone know if te 2009 is similar to the 2008 in terms of reqirements to access the water pump? the mechanic told me it will require the engine to be removed and printed out a form with a huge list of step by step directions to do it. They have quoted me 1500, will take two days to fix.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

mines been leaking for almost a year. got an 08 with 75k on it. not a problem but will be in the summer so im having the dealership replace it. 550 w/parts and i bought a new serpentine belt so they can just switch out for me out of courtesy which they agreed on which was $20. i also go into an accident a while back and my airbag light came on so i told them to recalibrate it and they charged me 100. eff it cash money son.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just did a water pump on my xD. I did it the hard way and pulled the engine and trans. Only reason I did all that work was because I also replace the clutch with an ACT performance clutch, new starter, thermostat, and all new exhaust gaskets. Took me a day to do. Was not that bad.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM

hey ev1, sorry for reviving a dead thread, but after trying a search, i just couldnt find this info anywhere.

Does anyone have the torque specs for the 2008 xd water pump? I am in the middle of replacing mine and thought they would be easier to find but I haven't found them listed anywhere. any help is much appreciated.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by str0seyy
Not sure why anyone is pulling bumper covers and fenders and unbolting motor mounts to replace a water pump in a 2008 scion XD.
Step 1.) Remove plastic engine shroud from top of motor.
Step 2.) Loosen alternator adjusting bolt and loosen both upper and lower alternator bolts. Push alternator towards rear of car and remove belt. Remove upper alternator bolt and pull alternator as far forward as possible. The further you pull it forward, the more access you will have to the water pump from above.
Step 3.) Remove the plastic shroud from the passenger side underneath so you can have access to the water pump from below. 4 bolts.
Step 4.) Drain radiator.
Step 5.) Loosen 3 bolts on the water pump from below, and two from above.
Step 6.) Pull pump out of crankcase and lift out from above.
Step 7.) Pull out old gasket.
Install new pump in reverse.
Unfortunately the new pump is slightly larger then the old one. The old one slide right out but there is no way the new one is going in. Looks like I will need to drop the engine
Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 AM

Just replaced water pump. Fun stuff. All the info here helped a bunch thank you. The old pump came out fairly easy. I didn't take off the bumper, but I did loosen the alternator and rotate it forward. The new pump from Toyota has a different pulley and bearing as well as a cast aluminum housing. The extra length of the bearing and pulley will not let the new pump slide back in. I had to loosen the motor mount on the passenger side and floor jack the motor up and wiggle it around a bunch. I also loosened the ac lines that are in that area. Putting it back together I left the motor jacked up and it was a little easier to get to the bolts on the pump housing back in. My test drive around the block was good and I didn't see any leaks so hopefully my drive to work in the morning will be uneventful.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 AM

January '09 xD with 51,000 miles here. While changing oil, noticed the area around the water pump was damp, only the water pump bolts were corroded, and the overflow was down a good amount.

Took it to the local Toyota dealer and got the revised Aisin pump and Toyota coolant for a grand total of $0.00.

I despise dealers but I'm not one to pass on a deal like that.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My pump went out last month, right after the warrenty expired. Drag.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got lucky with my water pump, head gasket started to crack and leak a little bit of oil on the back side of the engine. brought it into the dealership, told them exactly where the leak was, ended up chatting with the main guy doing the paper work, mentioned the water pump being the "Achilles heel" of the xD. when i got the paperwork once the work was all done, it was done under warranty, and i noticed that replaced my water pump for free
Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member

Default 2008 WP

Changed out the WP this weekend and 56LARRY 's post is exactly how I ended up doing it.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:25 AM

I registered just to say thank you. If not for this thread I would have spent a lot of money today. I was able to change my wife's water pump in a few hours. Funny thing is when I went to the dealership to get the antifreeze, the guy asked me if I was changing the water pump. Ya think? They know its a big problem. Think I'll pass on a Toyota next time.

Thanks again for this thread.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member

Default XD water pump replacement

I don't understand why people are going to the dealer for antifreeze.
What is wrong with Peak or Prestone?
I don't get it.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 08XDRIDER
I don't understand why people are going to the dealer for antifreeze.
What is wrong with Peak or Prestone?
I don't get it.
Toyota uses a specific kind. It's pink (at least in the tc1). Not green or orange so some people want to replace it with the same kind. I flushed mine and replaced with regular prestone when I did the pump in my tc1.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 PM

Hello. My name is NIKI. I have a 2009 scion XD with 72,000.

I have been enjoying scionlife for some time and decided to join today.

My vehicle made a horrendous sound on Sunday and was repaired (waterpump and serpentine belt) on Monday.

At 51,000 my transmission went out -- that was under warranty.

After reading on so many issues with waterpumps, I am wondering are there further SCION XD issues I should be on the look for?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope, not that I've heard of. as long as you don't beat the hell out of the car, and do your regular maintenance on it, I've seen a few people post they have over 200k on their xD and that bad boy was still running.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by nckqwk
Hello. My name is NIKI. I have a 2009 scion XD with 72,000.

I have been enjoying scionlife for some time and decided to join today.

My vehicle made a horrendous sound on Sunday and was repaired (waterpump and serpentine belt) on Monday.

At 51,000 my transmission went out -- that was under warranty.

After reading on so many issues with waterpumps, I am wondering are there further SCION XD issues I should be on the look for?
I can't remember for sure the milage right now but I know Im pushing pass 80k and I run her hard. I haven't had any problems except the water leaking on the passenger side. The car is a solid car if you do the maintenance as mentioned above.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: xD Water pump replacement