Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xD Water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default NAPA Tru-Flow Fail...........AGAIN!

Well, I won't recommend anyone installing a NAPA Tru-Flow water pump (or any other similarly designed pumps) on this motor after the second one I installed failed after only 3 1/2 months. Lifted the hood last Sunday and wouldn't you know it, dried coolant under the hood and all over the alternator pulley. That and the inside of the water pump pulley (profusely stained with dried coolant) told me all I need to know.

These NAPA pumps are basically a mirror image of the original OEM pumps that many have had problems with. I bought and installed the first one thinking that the bearing/seal may be better, but it failed after 7 months. I bought the second one thinking I just got a bad part...it failed after 3 months!

I'm guessing now that the stamped steel plate and pulley design is what is causing the bearing and seal to weaken. No wonder Toyota went for a more robust replacement.

This time I purchased/installed the AISIN redesigned unit that Toyota was replacing the originals with. It's twice the cost, but this thing is a tank compared to the other two China manufactured pumps.

The only drawback is that the passenger side motor mount needs to be removed (we also removed the mounting bracket on the engine side as well creating even more room to work with) so the motor can be lowered to fit the new pump in from underneath. Doing this only added about 30 mins or so to the repair time.

Crossing my fingers that this one lasts.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

better than the 800.00 i paid the dealer a couple of years ago. but then again, i never had a problem since
Old 02-18-2015, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just ordered the water pump - about 60$ shipped

Im afraid to ask my dealer on a quote on putting it in....

im in a 2009 release series 2.0 and i have 114k and no issues so far with it, so knock on wood hopefully wont, but i may put it on as a precaution around 120 or 130 k
Old 03-16-2015, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Holy crap, I wish I checked the forums more often. My 2008 had the water pump replaced last year around 70k miles. Never been so thankful for an extended service contract in my life! It paid for itself in that one visit alone--dealer was charging them ~$1k.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Gaz00
Well, I won't recommend anyone installing a NAPA Tru-Flow water pump (or any other similarly designed pumps) on this motor after the second one I installed failed after only 3 1/2 months. Lifted the hood last Sunday and wouldn't you know it, dried coolant under the hood and all over the alternator pulley. That and the inside of the water pump pulley (profusely stained with dried coolant) told me all I need to know.

These NAPA pumps are basically a mirror image of the original OEM pumps that many have had problems with. I bought and installed the first one thinking that the bearing/seal may be better, but it failed after 7 months. I bought the second one thinking I just got a bad part...it failed after 3 months!

I'm guessing now that the stamped steel plate and pulley design is what is causing the bearing and seal to weaken. No wonder Toyota went for a more robust replacement.

This time I purchased/installed the AISIN redesigned unit that Toyota was replacing the originals with. It's twice the cost, but this thing is a tank compared to the other two China manufactured pumps.

The only drawback is that the passenger side motor mount needs to be removed (we also removed the mounting bracket on the engine side as well creating even more room to work with) so the motor can be lowered to fit the new pump in from underneath. Doing this only added about 30 mins or so to the repair time.

Crossing my fingers that this one lasts.
Well, it appears the stock style NAPA pump is failing. Liquid on the plastic below the pump. Noise when cold. Been leaking for a while. Had to add coolant twice. Tried to convince myself that it wasn't the pump leaking but no such luck. Pump is not even 4 months old. What a piece of sh*t. Going to put the new style on it and fight with the motor mount.

Gaz00, can you tell me exactly what you had to do on this mount and whether you jacked the motor up or dropped it down? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member

The old water pump has enough clearance to be removed without movingthe engine up or down. To get the new beefier water pump in place I placed 2 jacks under the engine, one at the transmision housing the other at the oil filter metal housing, disconnected both motor mounts on the top, passenger side of the engine, and slowly pushed the engine up until I could fit the new larger water pump in place. once it is in, I lowered the engine back down and had to pull the engine forward to line up the motor mounts and bolt holes. I pulled and my partner put the bolts back in.
About a year later I developed an exhaust manifold leak so I probably went too high.
The dealer quoted me $1200.00 for the water pump. My regular mechanic wouldn't even do the water pump. My regular mechanic repaired my exhaust manifold leak for around $200. If you shop around I heard some dealers are cheaper than others.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys & gals! It's been a long time! Still got the xD though, just no time to tinker with it, as I've got my hands full with a 2 year old son now!

But it looks like I'll be forced to tinker with it this weekend, due to this faulty water pump that everyone on here is clamoring about. Lol

My xD is a 2009 with 55k, and it's got all the tell-tale signs of the WP getting ready to take a giant crap...

I bought mine brand new from Courtesy Scion and Toyota of Winter Park (FL), home of the "Lifetime Guarantee"...Well, talked to my service adviser on the phone, and somehow, this isn't covered...They wanted $1200+ to fix it because he stated that this was "an all-day job." A mechanic friend says he'll do it for $450. I say I'll do it myself this weekend for the cost of parts...

Wish me luck!

(So sorry that I had to bring this thread back from the dead)
Old 07-19-2015, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it looks like I'm in over my head... Sigh...

Getting the old water pump out was no big deal. But I'm at a loss now that I have to remove the motor mount and drop the engine enough to get the new wider water pump in place...

Can anyone chime in with advice, please?

***UPDATE***

I got 'er done!!! Disregard my cries for help. I finally got all the bolts from the motor mount off, was able to lift the motor slightly, and wrangled the new pump into place (with the help of a neighbor). The last hour or so was spent reassembling, which went relatively easy...

All in all, I'm really glad that I was able to complete this job myself and saved the $350-1200 that I would have spent taking it to somebody else to do.

Last edited by greevedogg; 07-19-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member

Hello all, I just finished replacing the Water Pump on my 2008 Scion XD. In the video that I saw, it showed and I have read on here that the passenger tire needs to come off so that you can get to the bottom bolts through the wheel well. Well, thanks to the service guys at LaGrange Toyota, I could not get the wheel off because they torqued the bolts with an impact wrench so tight that we could not get them loose.
Needless to say, we ended up removing the motor mount on the passenger side and loosening the alternator as previously stated. The old one came pretty easy considering all the stuff that we had to unbolt and loosen. We also removed the bottom dust/skid plate so that we could get at it from the bottom. The job took about 5 hours after the wheel fiasco.
I bought a new water pump from Advance Auto Parts. It is made by Carquest and is built much more solid. $87.00 in parts, pump, belt and anti-freeze and $250.00 for labor and all is good so far.
Needless to say, I am going to have a few words with the techs at LaGrange Toyota about the amount of torque they are using on the wheels.

Last edited by WarpedOne; 09-11-2015 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Missing some details.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:33 PM

Default Help??

Okay I usually dont use forums... my 09 xD has been overheating ever since I got in a wreck 5 months ago, recently I got the fan assembly, radiator, and thermostat replaced, but it has come to my attention, that after all of that,

I may need a water pump, only thing is that I don't want to bother my brother with my car again and I was wondering if I could have a small guide on how to replace it myself?

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-13-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:32 AM
SL Member

Read posts #40 and 50 in this thread to see the procedure. The other thing,apparently, is to get the beefier Aisin replacement pump from any (?) auto parts store and NOT the NAPA-branded pump, which seems to bomb out after only months.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:41 AM

Happy to report this post from way back when is still helping people.

I replaced my 2008 Scion xD original water pump with an Even Fischer water pump from Amazon - 40 bucks.
It is wider - similar to others that posted before I raised the motor up a few inches and was able to eventually get the new one in.
I also totally removed the alternator to get more room to work and removed the bracket holding the air conditioning line to give a little more room.

I'm going to replace the radiator in a couple of weeks. can't tell exactly where i'm losing fluid from, but guessing it's cracked.

I replaced the thermostat a few weeks ago hoping it would help with my overheating issues.

Only 85k miles on mine. hoping for many more years of service from our little orange car.

The only other problem we've had is the alternator - I'm on my third one.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-08-2021 at 01:59 AM.