Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Forced Induction (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-forced-induction-1799/)
-   -   For those looking to go turbo.................. (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-forced-induction-1799/those-looking-go-turbo-150549/)

TurboToyotas 11-10-2008 05:39 PM

For those looking to go turbo..................

i had this thread in the xD home area..it got moved.

No need for a double post in the f/i section

mods can you delete this one and move the replies to the other thread?

NotJonGreco 11-10-2008 05:48 PM

you realize you're gonna make me trade in my box for an xD...God that's hot..

Garage1217 11-10-2008 06:59 PM

Very cool, so it would not fit shoved back behind the motor huh? Not even a smaller internally gated unit on a log?

sturack1 11-10-2008 07:08 PM

OMG that is awesome! How much do you anticipate this will cost?

sturack1 11-10-2008 07:08 PM

i like that set up better than untouchables..

TurboToyotas 11-10-2008 07:23 PM

Very cool, so it would not fit shoved back behind the motor huh? Not even a smaller internally gated unit on a log?
There were so many variables.

One...to keep it in the back, Id have to go really small ie smaller than a GT22 to fit, then there would have been the dp issue you would then have to cut and modify the exhaust. ( or mount it low and use a scavenging pump for the oil drain and thats not reliable)

Then there would have been the piping issue, routing both the intake and the cold side pipe around the battery(if it stayed in the stock location)

So I though if you have to remove the battery why not locate the turbo there.

It frees up so much room for everything else and works with the stock exhaust.

It was the easiest option. Plus as most of the Scion community is into the "show" side of things...this way there is allot more to see.

Regards-

Todd

Garage1217 11-10-2008 07:40 PM

Very true. I did not measure anything, just a brief look under the car. Looked to be enough room for a log and a gt25 or 28 with a 2.5" DP, but just looking and not measuring does not mean anything.

And I am more into go / stealth, guess I am the minority on the site haha.

Bender_xD 11-10-2008 07:57 PM

can we get a pic of the battery in its relocated position please? I dont want the battery wasting cargo room or forcing me to remove my spare tire. ugh.

CASTREX 11-10-2008 07:58 PM

Subscribed

sturack1 11-10-2008 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by TurboToyotas

It frees up so much room for everything else and works with the stock exhaust

If everyone is talking about how restrictive the stock exhaust is, how would putting a turbo on make it better? Seems like there would be more back pressure since more air is being moved through....

CASTREX 11-10-2008 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sturack1

Originally Posted by TurboToyotas

It frees up so much room for everything else and works with the stock exhaust

If everyone is talking about how restrictive the stock exhaust is, how would putting a turbo on make it better? Seems like there would be more back pressure since more air is being moved through....

Actually the exhaust gets restrictive after the cats and the OEM resonator.

If I recall correctly the pipe diameter on the first cat is 2.5" so you will only have to carry that pipe diameter all the way back.

For a turbo set up like this I guess the best option is just to do a 2.5" custom cat back with free flowing mufflers. That way you will have 2.5" pipe all the way back from the downpipe to rear muffler.

TurboToyotas 11-10-2008 08:16 PM

Very true. I did not measure anything, just a brief look under the car. Looked to be enough room for a log and a gt25 or 28 with a 2.5" DP, but just looking and not measuring does not mean anything.

And I am more into go / stealth, guess I am the minority on the site haha.
There are options, but it requires more modifcations.

As a manuf of kits, you try and find a balance in what has to be modified as the market has a tendancy to respond in an unfriendly manner with those.

can we get a pic of the battery in its relocated position please? I dont want the battery wasting cargo room or forcing me to remove my spare tire. ugh.
Its up to the customer on where they want to put it...I am thinking about offering a custom tray for a small size (kinetic etc) that still sits in the engine bay.

This particular setup the location has not yet been finalized.

Its easier for me to offer a dp that bolts up the factory location, as most aftermarket exhaust companies will have stock placements. For those that go custom well....then you have lots of options.

Regards-

Todd

pickledchang 11-10-2008 10:59 PM

how difficult is drilling into the girdle compared to drilling into an oil pan? sounds a little more intimidating to do.

TurboToyotas 11-11-2008 02:40 AM

how difficult is drilling into the girdle compared to drilling into an oil pan? sounds a little more intimidating to do.
the reason you have to go into the girdle is there in no actual oil pan. Just a service plate. Otherwise if there was a pan.......... ;)

The girdle is aluminum so drilling a hole is not an issue. you can either use a bulk head fitting or have the fitting welded.

Regards-

Todd

pickledchang 11-11-2008 04:07 PM

by any chance, have you happened to see the size of the stock rods and thickness of the cylinder walls?

TheQuietThings 11-12-2008 08:25 PM

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=242447