Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DIY: Remove plastic pieces on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member

Lightbulb DIY: Remove plastic pieces on steering wheel

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! I removed the plastic pieces on the steering wheel! I'm getting them painted the same color as my stripe, so I had to figure out how to get them off. THIS... Is how I accomplished that.

1. Unhook the negative wire from your battery to turn off the airbag. Wait AT LEAST 2 minutes before doing anything else.

2. Then there are 2 holes on either side of the steering wheel. Unscrew the the screws in them. You'll need a "hex key". You know, those little things that look like an "L".

3. Then gently pull off the center piece on the steering wheel. It's connected by wires. You can unhook them, but I didn't. Just set it on top of the steering wheel.

4. There are screws holding the plastic pieces in. Unscrew them, and give either of them a gentle tug. Should come out pretty easily.

5. The LEFT plastic piece is held on with a wire due to the mode button and the volume buttons. Use a small phillips head to unscrew the 2 screws holding the back on.

6. There is a small clip holding it on after you unscrew it. I used a small flathead to lift it off. Continue to take out the small pieces inside. I drew a diagram so I would remember how to put it back together.

7. The only thing I couldn't remove on that piece was the volume and up and down buttons.

8. Also, it's safe to drive without those plastic pieces if you need to go somewhere while you have them out if you are painting them and letting them dry.. Just put the center part back together and screw in. Should be fine

Now through all this, don't blame me if your airbag goes off. It shouldn't since you disconnected the battery, but I was freaking out the entire time anyway x). Hope this helped :3

Last edited by Lil_Optimus; 07-01-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ever get them painted? Curious to see the results.