Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

iPhone 4 will not charge on the iPod connection

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default iPhone 4 will not charge on the iPod connection

What versions of iPods/iphones work in the xD? I have a 08 RS1.0 with the base stereo.

What I know works:

Gen3 iPod Charges and works with stock radio
2G iPhone Charges and works with stock radio
iPhone 4 doesn't charge but works with the radio

Anyone else have a different version work?

Last edited by GreyFox; 06-25-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Adding more details
Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I know you have an xD but in my tC my iphone 3g doesn't charge either but it does play on the stock radio. My 6th gen ipod classic works and charges though.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You hve to get an adapter. Belkin makes them.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

unless you have to use your own USB cable (the newest scions have a USB port and not a dock connector plug/wire):
iPhones (3G+up), Touches (2Gen+up) and nano's (4Gen+up), won't charge with the stock dock connector plug. you have to by an adapter.
iPod classics still work normally

scosche makes an adapter as well, called a passPORT for like $15-$20
Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 PM

I have the adapter, and with my new iPhone 4 there is some weird static/high pitch noise and i have no clue whats to blame for this. Never had the issue with my 3g though...

Oh yeah, might I mention I have a tC, but its all the same radios, I have the t1808.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since I updated my phone (3GS) to the 4.0 OS it charges still (with the Belkin connector) but stops playing now after a short time
Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm guessing the adapter would work within the iPad as well. My iPad won't connect in the xD, but will connect to the ipod adapter I installed in my wife's Honda.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the 3GS updated to the new OS and it still works perfect to play music and charge in my '09 xD using the stock cable and a Scosche passPORT. The warning message when you first plug it in is the only thing that has changed.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sefi
I have the 3GS updated to the new OS and it still works perfect to play music and charge in my '09 xD using the stock cable and a Scosche passPORT. The warning message when you first plug it in is the only thing that has changed.
Yeah same here except after a minute or two (or thereabouts) my music stops playing.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 10 xD

I have a 2010 xD with the usb plug. I noticed that scrolling through songs on playlists are a lot slower, but I can still use my iPhone 4. It still charges, plays songs, and I can still use the radio controls to play the songs. Another buggy thing though, is with the multitasking, the ipod app has to be running in order for it to start playing. Otherwise, you have to unplug, start the ipod app and play a song, then plug in and it works fine. The same was true when I updated my 3Gs to iOS4. Annoying. I wish Apple would consider this or pioneer would release an update to fix these issues.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Swbari00
Yeah same here except after a minute or two (or thereabouts) my music stops playing.
Swbari00 and Sefi are you playing music thats on your phone or an app? Because i had the same problem with Slacker Radio app and i fixed the problem by preventing sleep mode. So once the app is on the phone wont turn off the screen or go to sleep.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm using the built in iPod player to play music from the phone with no problems. I cant say I've tried scrolling thru the artists or anything else. Usually I just have it randomly play my entire 2500 song collection. And is it me or does this car's random function suck (I have the stock '09 radio)? It ALWAYS starts off with a U2 song. ALWAYS. Heh.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah, iOS 4 messed up my stereo as well. When I plug the phone in it still charges, but the on-screen navigation is shot. Artists are appearing multiple times, somethines it's just blank, and when I select an artist it's really the previous one on the list. For now I pick the album or playlist directly on the phone, then plug it in.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:43 AM

For those who have the Belkin adapter for the iPhone 4, could you please either link me to the correct adapter, or give me an item number? I looked on Belkin's site, but couldn't find one.

When I plug my iPhone into the cable that came with my XD, it just says it's not compatible and won't charge. I've not tried getting it to play music.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On my 09 tC it does not charge my iPhone4 saying it is not compatable using the factory iPod connection. Haven't bothered with trying to play any music with it. The stereo deck is the standard Pioneer btw.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an '09 xD with the stock radio. I use a Scosche passPORT to get my phone to charge using the built in iPod jack. Plays music no problems too. I have a iPhone 3GS with OS4 and zero problems. You still get the warning that the accessory is not configured to work properly with the iPhone, but I just hit dismiss on that and go on my merry way.

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667
Old 07-14-2010, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice find, I'll have to check if it's sold in retail stores. Bookmarked that page for reference.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sefi
I have an '09 xD with the stock radio. I use a Scosche passPORT to get my phone to charge using the built in iPod jack. Plays music no problems too. I have a iPhone 3GS with OS4 and zero problems. You still get the warning that the accessory is not configured to work properly with the iPhone, but I just hit dismiss on that and go on my merry way.

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667
I use the same thing works great. But depending on the case you have on your phone it might not fit into the phone properly. I have one of the Otter Box cases and i had to cut the bottom of the case to get the passPORT to fit. I got my passPORT at the apple store if anyone is looking for it.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks like this isn't the only problem for iphone 4....
Old 07-15-2010, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kris68
Swbari00 and Sefi are you playing music thats on your phone or an app? Because i had the same problem with Slacker Radio app and i fixed the problem by preventing sleep mode. So once the app is on the phone wont turn off the screen or go to sleep.
I was playing music that was on my phone. I just got back from Austria and haven't tried to play it again, I will let you know if it is better.

Quick Reply: iPhone 4 will not charge on the iPod connection